Oct 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981
I have been flying my nano for three days now. First post in this thread and haven't had time to read back posts. My question is does anyone have an issue when trying to hover the heli it getting a toilet bowl effect going. It just keeps going in counter clockwise circles and it gets pretty hard to keep in one spot and it only seems to do it at a hover. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop this.... Thanks,,,,,
Were you able to solve your toilet bowl effect problem? Was it your feathering shaft?

I noticed that I was getting the toilet bowl effect again today (still using the original shaft, but I did pick up a new one), so I looked at the shaft again, but this time I noticed that I had a lot of slop between the blade grips, my shaft had become loose (that just sounds strange! shaft had become loose! ), so once I tightened it back up flew like new again.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez
Without digging through all 90+ pages of this thread, what other helicopters share the Nano skids?

Helidirect lists it as msr/msrx/nano, but I have an MSRX sitting right here and the skids absolutely do not fit, they're significantly longer between the mounting pins.
MSR skids fit.
Oct 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
That's what I thought. I busted my skids and I really don't want to buy $5 skids every week. I was hoping someone already had aluminum/carbon skids like I just got for my MSRX, but it doesn't look like anyone makes those for the MSR.
Oct 13, 2012, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDstylez
That's what I thought. I busted my skids and I really don't want to buy $5 skids every week. I was hoping someone already had aluminum/carbon skids like I just got for my MSRX, but it doesn't look like anyone makes those for the MSR.
Try Airtime, I just ordered a white skid from him.

Bob
Oct 13, 2012, 03:07 PM
I DID IT! I DID IT! After reading some of the posts here with regards to Trx settings, I upped my D/R to 120 rates, and 10 expo. And that was all that I needed!

And once I did the first successful flip to inverted, the rest were easy! Even landed on the ceiling!

Now with that said, and I've calmed down a little, I did have one flight where the helicopter just went dead and fell to the floor out of the blue. I flipped it over, got it back in the air, and it did the same thing, just goes dead in mid flight. Is this a sign that the motor is going out? The next flight was fine with a different battery. Maybe I just had a bad connection with the one battery?

I have seen a lot of posts on here stating that the stock motor is crappy, so I had the LHS order me one, figured that they are only $12, would be a good idea to have one on hand. Especially since I plan on taking the Helicopter out to sea with me for the next few months. So need to stock up on some extra parts.

Thanks for all your help guys!
Oct 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
I am seriously on the fence with this one. Right now, NONE of my helis fly, except my mini pet, and I can't find the battery for it. Some major, some minor problems, but dang, this is getting to be a pain. I can fly my MQX well (bad motor now) and want a real heli that flies like that. I have a crappy clone built that does not fly and a real Align 450 in the box (going to build that this winter). But I just see myself getting this one and adding another broken heli to the collection. At least it looks easy to fix. The motors don't bother me, it only has one whereas the mqx has four! And the brushless upgrade will be worth it if it's only $30 like some say. Right now an ebay seller has them for $150 shipped with 3 extra batteries. There is also a new one in the classifieds but he wants the same as new. Sorry, not without a warranty.
Oct 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy
Try Airtime, I just ordered a white skid from him.

Bob
You don't by any chance have a link to their site do you? I googled 'Airtime' and got some web site for video conferencing?

Thanks.

Just busted up my landing gear, luckily I had an old mSR so stole the skids from that one.

P.S. Anyone have any advice on how to get the little tab of the landing skids out of the main frame when it breaks off flush? Luckily that didn't happen this time, but it happened twice on my mCPX, and I could not for the life of me get that little tab that broke off of the skids out of the main frame. It had broken off flush, so no way of grabbing it to pull out. I ended up replacing the whole frame, which was a pain in the ars!
Last edited by seahawk1984; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Oct 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
seahawk1984,
I use the finest drill bit in my pin vise drill set. Drill in about 1/8 of an inch very slowly and simply pull the broken pin out with the drill.
Gary
Oct 13, 2012, 03:35 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
Thank you for posting that side by side video
No prob also static thrust test on those well-used batteries were 51g stock and 70g brushless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy
I am a thumb flyer also. I had to tighten the tension on both my horizontal sticks on my radio to the max and I find that helped me a lot. Left the vertical sticks soft. I am using 120 D/R no expo at the field. I was practicing inverted flying today and broke the tail boom on one of my birds . I will just replace it with 2mm solid CF like I did on the other one. Got a way to go before I can do indoor flying like you.

Bob
I might try that but I have gotten so use to loose sticks it might prove an issue.

Are you sure 120 is actually doing something for you? I tried with both of my nanos moving travel up to 130 and then back down until they started to move. At 105 they bounced a bit show slight binding and at 103% wasnt stressing the servos anymore but didnt give much more than 100%

As far as indoor you just gotta crash a lot...at least thats what i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984
You don't by any chance have a link to their site do you? I googled 'Airtime' and got some web site for video conferencing?

Thanks.

Just busted up my landing gear, luckily I had an old mSR so stole the skids from that one.

P.S. Anyone have any advice on how to get the little tab of the landing skids out of the main frame when it breaks off flush? Luckily that didn't happen this time, but it happened twice on my mCPX, and I could not for the life of me get that little tab that broke off of the skids out of the main frame. It had broken off flush, so no way of grabbing it to pull out. I ended up replacing the whole frame, which was a pain in the ars!
I heat up a needle but not to burning hot and push it in the tab. Wait a second for it to cool and then pull it out
Oct 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
seahawk1984,
I use the finest drill bit in my pin vise drill set. Drill in about 1/8 of an inch very slowly and simply pull the broken pin out with the drill.
Gary
Thanks, I may have to look for a really fine drill bit to bring with me when I go out to sea then. I don't think we have much in the way of small bits on the ship, most of the stuff we work on requires bigger bits. So when I go to LHS this next week to stock up on parts, I'll add one fine drill bit to my shopping list.

Thanks.
Oct 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Ask your dentist for small drills
Oct 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
Team Drone Art
@seahawk1984

I use an xacto knife to start a hole. Then use one of those pointed small screws that are common on these micro helicopter. Screw it into that starter hole. The thread will start to bite. Then use a pair of plier and pull the tab out. Very easy to do and all the tools are already on the typical hobbyist bench.
Oct 13, 2012, 04:13 PM

Worth getting Nano if I already have mCPx?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not the Nano is different enough from the mCPx to make it worthwhile to have both.

When the mCPx came out, I bought it hoping to be able to learn and practice some 3D skills in my house. The mCPx is just too much for me to fly indoors. My heli skills have advanced a lot thanks to the mCPx and I can now do basic back flips and inverted hovering. But, it is still too much for me indoors.

I'm interested in the Nano to keep getting better over the winter. But, it is tough to tell from the specs and videos if it is really enough different from the mCPx that I will be able to fly it indoors. If it is another outdoor heli for someone with my skills, it doesn't really get me much over the mCPx.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Carl
Oct 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
2 seconds from crashing
I can flip the nano in my shower and even a little bit under a table..had to try

The mcpx Smallest area I could go was my bathroom.

The nano I can run into anything without worrying about damage.

So yes IMHO if you have a mcpx the nano is still well worth it but skill dependent you might have to still practice a bit with a pretend ceiling outside before flipping inside
Oct 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfossa
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not the Nano is different enough from the mCPx to make it worthwhile to have both.

When the mCPx came out, I bought it hoping to be able to learn and practice some 3D skills in my house. The mCPx is just too much for me to fly indoors. My heli skills have advanced a lot thanks to the mCPx and I can now do basic back flips and inverted hovering. But, it is still too much for me indoors.

I'm interested in the Nano to keep getting better over the winter. But, it is tough to tell from the specs and videos if it is really enough different from the mCPx that I will be able to fly it indoors. If it is another outdoor heli for someone with my skills, it doesn't really get me much over the mCPx.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Carl
Yes, it is that different. You can fly it indoors with a bit of practice. I do recommend outside first.

A few weeks with the Nano will help your mCPX skills too.

Quick Reply