Oct 13, 2012, 11:42 AM
http://flahut59.over-blog.com/
Hi,
just one question:
Why can't we choose Motion Detection and Time Lapse Photo ?
I can choose one OR the other.
Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2012, 11:44 AM
heaven forbid this turn into a "quad post" so lets finish it with this one. The one used in this vid is the 240mm from here. I am not promoting it or any other mini. It was just a flying platform to put the 808 on so I could show response to someone on the other side of the world . It is built up using 2211-2300 motors, 10A esc and 3s 1300ma battery. I have more rigid minis just no place to mount camera (yet). Also found out when I went to upgrade that the cam was still v.36 and the settings were off so video is a lot better now after updating and correcting settings. Thanks to all that make using this little camera a reality. I just mounted the cam with included velcro and strapped overtop with velco. Vid is raw no processing done.

use this thread if you want to ask any more questions about the quad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconerider
Which mini quad do you use? I want to buy one, if possible a cheap one. It should carry the 808 jello-free.

Ciao
Falconerider
Last edited by pug398; Oct 13, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Oct 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
Suspended Account
Time lapse. will not be watchable with 5 secs and up for aerial photo. so that was why .5 is requested and yes this is not a gopro. yet thecam is imitating it , or other cams. enjoy,

For example movement, vs still , examples of time lapse at 5 secs

Time lapse (0 min 33 sec)
Oct 13, 2012, 11:57 AM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm
Tom/Isoprop

Have you guys ever thought about migrating this thread (and the other similar cam threads for other models) to a dedicated forum? That way you could have subforums for each topic, and a more historical and useful record of all this great info?

643 pages of linear info is a bi**h to sort through.

I volunteer to set it up and take care of the hosting if you guys want to do it. I'll register it in your name so you have complete control over it...I'll just do the legwork.
Thanks for the offer. The only threads I'm at all interested in are the four I started on the #11, #16, #18, and #1080 cameras, and then only for their use for aerial video. The #1080 thread has virtually no activity since the camera has not performed acceptably and has not been updated. A new version is in the works, though, and I'll likely shut down the #1080 thread if it gets released, and maybe start a new thread if it performs well.). The #11 thread is somewhat obsolete with minimal traffic, and I've not been doing much with monitoring it since the #18 is now the same as the #11 with the video out function added. So that leaves the #18 and #16, with the latter having by far the most traffic, but much of it is off-topic discussion, having no useful value to those for which this thread was started (i.e. aerial photography).

I can see value in having subforums if users would respect the topics and only post discussion in the pertainent subforum. But seeing what has happened here, many don't care about site protocol or even doing their own searches or reading FAQs to answer their questions. And the developer, who monitors this thread, would have several forums and maybe many threads to scan for pertainent information. I'd also be concerned about the reliability of the site... this one is funded by various manufactureres, suppliers, and vendors of the equipment used by this hobby segment, and is therefore a site which will be around for a long time.

But, I don't want to decline your offer without taking a closer look. Can you PM me more about your hosting site, what forum software you use (e.g. maybe a link to a forum already in use?), etc.?
Oct 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
I agree time lapse VIDEO made from stills shot at longer delay times are not useful for aerial video, but there are quite a few that only want to be able to shoot still images, not video, from the air without having to find a way to trigger the camera shutter button via remote control. That was the primary thought behind the time lapse photo mode, not converting them to time lapse video. The settings that were provided were chosen by the developer, so the longer settings were done most likely for others who might buy the camera to show things like storm clouds rolling in, etc. not AV, but they are there in addition to those that AV/AP users find useful.

For faster motion capture, it's easier to just shoot regular video, then use a speed up option many editors can do (e.g. WLMM has a 64X speed-up) and let the software decimate frames as necessary rather than go through the process of joining thousands of individual still images. I find the video frames shot by the #16 to be superior to the still .jpg images, too. The still images have different coloration, and the .jpg compression isn't as good as the H.264 the video mode uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
Time lapse. will not be watchable with 5 secs and up for aerial photo. so that was why .5 is requested and yes this is not a gopro. yet thecam is imitating it , or other cams. enjoy,

For example movement, vs still , examples of time lapse at 5 secs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-kO5URapE
Oct 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
Mtz
Mtz

The walking screw

I read about some hot cameras, or not working button, etc.
Today I had the same problem which appeared after I was trying to adjust the focus of the lens. So I opened the camera and I unscrewed all the screws.

The problem is that the plastic of the case is poor quality and if you tighten the screw too much you will break the screw case hole. Then when you will press the power button, for example, the screw will go out and will touch many components inside. There are big chances to damage the camera.
So if you experience non working buttons just open the camera and check for the screws. Also when you buy the camera or some other components buy also a case.
Also I am using a double sided tape to put on the top of the screws before closing the camera. I have a big chance to keep the screws there.

Here I found one screw inside the camera and I am sure it was all over the places inside camera.

enjoy,
Mtz
Oct 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Cold weather is back and last cold season flying i had an insulated camera case made from foam to lengthen the operating time with the # 16 camera.
The idea worked well but it's a bit bulky.

Need a new method to allow the camera to operate in cold weather flying conditions.
Have searched this thread for external battery and came up with many returns on the subject directing users to powering the camera through the usb at 5v.

I'm comfortable soldering and would rather not use the usb socket to power the camera at 5v.
What i would like to do is solder in a second plug,tap off the internal battery wires and have a pigtail extending to the outside of the camera at the back.

When it's time to fly i'll be sure the internal battery has a full charge.
Then mount the camera on the plane and plug in a single lipo cell to the pigtail,after plugging in the external battery the camera would be powered on.
Make a 20 min flight,land,turn off camera,unplug external battery,remove camera from the plane and go home to watch the video.

Does anyone see any problems with powering the camera that way?
Last edited by ridgewalker; Oct 13, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Oct 13, 2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrik_A
I would like to have some kind of protection cap over the Lens D so i don't damage it when transporting it, does something like that exist ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev
+ one
Well, I don't know if this would be helpful for you, but, as I'm trying to quit smoking, I'm "vapeing" electronic cigarettes and...there is one type of plastic cartridge which is sold with a silicon cap - as you can see it here: http://ecigmodshop.com.au/index.php?...&productId=283 - that perfectly fits the D lens
That "eGo-T" cartridge costs only few cents, so try to find an e-cig shop near you and... done!
Last edited by Kahn_2; Oct 13, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Oct 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
Click here for all the information about how long a battery will last, external power and much, much more. I will update this post in the near future to include new topics that have come up during the last two weeks.

This post is also linked in the first 5 posts of this thread. The first five posts contain links to a wealth of information.
yeah, this thread really needs its own forum. (I read the first five posts obviously, but didn't click the link)

btw...the setup pictured here might not be a good idea, depending on the internals of the camera.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3840200

4 1.5V AAs in series is 6V. Unless the cam has a voltage regulator, which I highly doubt, this could break the charging circuit if its rated for 5V max operating voltage.

Or, maybe it just works and "hasn't broken it yet"?

Pretty sure all those other chargers reviewed in your post have some circuitry to ensure a nice clean 5V (google "mintyboost", which is actually what I plan to use)

Hope this helps?
Oct 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank
I will be posting a brief tutorial on how to make timelapse video from stills using produced by the #16 timelapse mode using WLMM.
here's a time lapse vid i did yesterday when I tested the max runtime on full battery (86 minutes when using 60 sec intervals)

Image quality is bad but thats just becase of a dirty window and the autofocus not dealing with the window well.

I used this software (free, and so easy) http://home.hccnet.nl/s.vd.palen/photolapsedlc.html

time lapse test (0 min 13 sec)
Oct 13, 2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flahut59
Hi,
just one question:
Why can't we choose Motion Detection and Time Lapse Photo ?
I can choose one OR the other.
Thanks!
they are really two completely different functions. There isn't much use for a time lapse that only triggers when there's motion (or vice versa)

for that you'd just use motion detection.
Oct 13, 2012, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
86 minutes on average temps, is impressive.

1 minute 86 give or take 13 secs great job.
Oct 13, 2012, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeeetm
yeah, this thread really needs its own forum. (I read the first five posts obviously, but didn't click the link)

btw...the setup pictured here might not be a good idea, depending on the internals of the camera.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=3840200

4 1.5V AAs in series is 6V. Unless the cam has a voltage regulator, which I highly doubt, this could break the charging circuit if its rated for 5V max operating voltage.

Or, maybe it just works and "hasn't broken it yet"?

Pretty sure all those other chargers reviewed in your post have some circuitry to ensure a nice clean 5V (google "mintyboost", which is actually what I plan to use)

Hope this helps?
I'm sure is you measure the voltage you'll find it to be about 4.8V (under load). Most common AAs today are 1.2V although I suppose the old 1.5V do still exist. It's been years since I've seen a 1.5V AA battery, but I don't go measuring the voltage all the time

I guess it's all about chemistry...
Oct 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics
86 minutes on average temps, is impressive.

1 minute 86 give or take 13 secs great job.
Why impressive? The camera is in standby most of the time so that's normal and almost exactly what I calculated based on the current draw. I guess for people with no idea about voltage and current it could be "impressive".....
Oct 13, 2012, 03:26 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
Why impressive? The camera is in standby most of the time so that's normal and almost exactly what I calculated based on the current draw. I guess for people with no idea about voltage and current it could be "impressive".....
Yes it is impressive to the person I posted to, and ifneed be temps vary so does time of cam

Ezeee.. again impressive.
Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 13, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: edited to keep simple

Quick Reply