Oct 07, 2012, 10:32 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Thanks Dave. Elevation here is just over 2,000'. Palomar Mountain in the distance is about 6,000'.

My runway is about 20' from my workshop window.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2012, 02:14 PM
Dave, I have used your method of glassing the wings with the minwax product. It works great and the wings are almost bullet proof. Hardly any weight added. I have a SS highly modified I have two batteries and fpv gear on and the wings don't bow and I still have the great glide.
Oct 07, 2012, 10:43 PM
352nd FG Association
Glad you guys brought up the "wing strength" issue. I'm having a heck of a time figuring out why mine "flutters" in the power-off dives. It never used too with the previous 4 wings I've had, but this one does.
That said, my SS was also never as heavy as it is now. I'm hauling a Parkzone Sonic Combat Module, Two action figures, a bomb drop mechanism, and lights with the occassional keychain cam on top.

I'm hoping if the wind drops off tomorrow, I can go test it by removing some of the weight and putting it in some power-off dives. If it still does, while completely stripped down, then I have to believe I have a defective wing. I've reinforced the trailing edge with CF rod and it still flutters. The one major difference besides weight, is this is the first wing that I've used the "plastic insert" on the top middle. Maybe I should remove it? Like I said, I've got some wingload testing to do, and I will definitely post a report on any findings.
Oct 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Glass it as per Dave. Can't believe the difference it makes. I had wing flutter in dives. Glassed the wing and now haul a load and the flutter is no more.

This has been my experience. Yours may differ.
Oct 08, 2012, 09:31 AM
Bill,
What material did you use to glass it?
Oct 08, 2012, 10:28 AM
This is how Dave instructed to do it, and this is how I did it. It works super great.

"I use light-weight (1.5 to 2.0 ounce) fiberglass cloth applied with either Minwax Polycrylic or Z-Poxy finishing resin. I have done this only with the older wings that have no color coat on the bottom

Using Minwax Polycrylic

Cut a piece of the cloth that covers the bottom of the wing with an inch or two extra on each side. Lay the cloth on the wing and apply Polycrylic using a chisel-tip foam brush as an applicator and squeegee to smooth out the wrinkles. Use enough of the Polycrylic to thoroughly wet the cloth. When it is dry in about 3 hours use a sharp Xacto blade to trim it. This adds about an ounce to the weight of a Slow Stick but makes it much stronger. I have done wing-tip cartwheels with glassed wings with no damage."
Oct 08, 2012, 11:24 AM
Bill I just saw your barcode on my iphone....That really made my day. Thank you!!!! I Cant wait myself!!!!
Oct 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor4944 View Post
Bill I just saw your barcode on my iphone....That really made my day. Thank you!!!! I Cant wait myself!!!!
As they said in a video........."SEE YA AT THE HOUSE."
Oct 09, 2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jredz71 View Post
This is my Yellow Slow Stick I finished up this morning! The wind is blowing around 10mph so I will have to wait to test fly it. Here are the specs since I know that people are interested.

Yellow - Slow Stick NPS Kit

E-Flite Park 450 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 890Kv

E-Flite Outrunner Stick Motor Mount

E-flite 30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC

APC 10x4.7 Prop

4 - Hitec HS-55 Economy Feather Servos. Two for Ailerons.

4 - DU-BRO Micro Razor Control Horns - Yellow

2.50" DU-BRO Micro Sport Wheels

Landing gear is modified to keep from spreading.

Great Planes Wheel Collars 3/32 for main wheels

Great Planes Wheel Collars 1/16 for tail wheel

Blue Lipo 1300mAH 3S 20C Battery

Hitec Optima 6 - 6 Channel 2.4GHz Receiver

Hitec Aurora 9 2.4GHz Flies this Stick

Blue Flame Graphics are from by my Company - Worrell Graphix
Got my first flite on this Slow Stick today and I have got to tell you that this plane is on point! The CG is at a good spot and glides real well and the power is really good!
Oct 09, 2012, 06:05 PM
Now ya did it.....................Your hooked. Welcome to the rest of the hooked.
Oct 09, 2012, 11:29 PM
352nd FG Association

Wing Flutter Test Results

Well gee, it was "stupid simple".

Too much weight!! All I did was removed the pilot and tailgunner action figures and it was able to do a high alt- power-off dive with no flutter at all. I still had the Sonic Combat Module on and the bomb drop mechanism. It surprised me that the two man crew weighed more than the big Casio camera with aluminum mount I used to haul around. I did high alt dives with it and never got wing flutter.
(See pics of the different set ups below)

So it really boils down to, "what suits the mission". LOL

1. Daylight operations: no need for lights, so remove the extra lipo (until I make the extension wire to go to the main lipo).

2. If just bombing or just dogfighting: remove the extra lipo and either SCM or bomb-drop.

3. If night flying: remove SCM, bomb-drop, and crew.

4. If night dogfighting: remove crew, and bomb-drop.

Either way, DON'T put everything on!!
Last edited by Moonbeam; Oct 09, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Oct 11, 2012, 12:32 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Quick update:

I just ordered more Slow Sticks and after talking to my rep Will at GWS, I was able to get Red & some Yellow Slow Sticks!!! Woohoo!!! Doesn't look like they have any Blue in stock though.

Moonbeam I really liked the silver one too...
Oct 11, 2012, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob View Post
Quick update:

I just ordered more Slow Sticks and after talking to my rep Will at GWS, I was able to get Red & some Yellow Slow Sticks!!! Woohoo!!! Doesn't look like they have any Blue in stock though.

Moonbeam I really liked the silver one too...
Me too.

Since so many of us like to apply custom paint jobs to our Slow Sticks it would be really nice if we could buy them unpainted (white). If dealer feedback carries any weight with GWS it might help to pass that along to them.
Oct 12, 2012, 03:34 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Actually, when Mr. Linn stopped by our booth 2 years ago at the RCX expo, he said that it would be possible to have them shipped that way. I'm not sure what it would take to have GWS USA carry them but maybe we should all send Mr Linn a message or lets have somone start a thread in the GWS forum!!
Oct 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Flew my blue SS for the first time since spring. It had somehow developed a kink halfway through the left side of the wing where the faux aileron meets the rear spar, and this caused the Stick to wanna dive and pull to the left. It was bad enough to where I had almost written off the wing and tossed it.

Instead, I gave it a new lease on life by cutting off the scallops on the wing and running 4mm carbon tubes full length on either side. This straightened out that kink that induced poor flight characteristics. Lost a few inches of wing area but doesn't fly noticeably faster. Wing matches the clipped elevator now too.

Quick Reply