Sep 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seojeff
Sounds like a great combo to me.
On the prop and Spinner... any advise where I could get them in North America and what type of Spinner and prop I should look for?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Rear edge of the two front finger holes.
This is the recommended CG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF
that's right!
so witch CG is correct?
the one that bev says is wrong!
BEV recommends what Daemon just said. It is NOT wrong.
Quote:
CG is pretty forgiving on the X8. Start at the recommended point (rear edge of the finger holds) and go from there. If you click 'Thread Tools' at the top of this page and then 'View all attachments from this thread', you'll see a few images of exactly where the CG should be. It's worth skimming through this entire thread, however daunting that might seem.
This is correct. The X8 has been successfully flown, stalled, spun at varying CGs, from exactly as BEV says, to several mm fore and several mm aft of the suggested CG. None are bad. None are preferred. It's what flies right to each individual.
Prevent stalling? EVERY plane will stall no matter what CG you use.
Sep 20, 2012, 02:14 AM
Aalesund, Norway
I maidened my X8 with CG at recommended rear edge of the two front finger holes. And it did not need a single click of trim.
Sep 20, 2012, 02:21 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
that's right!
so witch CG is correct?
the one that bev says is wrong!
when someone like Daemon recommend a CoG I would take it as gospel, look at his contribution to this thread see how successful his flights are and look at the extent he went to demonstrate spins and how to get out of them. his practical experience is invaluable.
So I would not hesitate to say the CoG is where Ian Suggests it is
Sep 20, 2012, 05:20 AM
Italy Genoa
i can easy trust Deamon , the problem that i have is that i have the same CG but my x8 do not fly correctly at the moment when i launch it it goes noese up and stall
Sep 20, 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
i can easy trust Deamon , the problem that i have is that i have the same CG but my x8 do not fly correctly at the moment when i launch it it goes noese up and stall
I would check your thrust angle & the trim on your elevons - also see if they have any play - are you using the stock elevons or did you replace them with balsa? Finally, did you do anything about the trailing edge of the wings not matching up with the fuselage? When I addressed this I was able to take all the trim out of my X8.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:15 AM
Italy Genoa
Quote:
I would check your thrust angle & the trim on your elevons - also see if they have any play - are you using the stock elevons or did you replace them with balsa? Finally, did you do anything about the trailing edge of the wings not matching up with the fuselage? When I addressed this I was able to take all the trim out of my X8.
my elevons are the stock and i trim them a little bit, there's no play.
the trailing is completely different of the fuselage and i did not touch ,but i think that could be the problem or not?
Sep 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
my elevons are the stock and i trim them a little bit, there's no play.
the trailing is completely different of the fuselage and i did not touch ,but i think that could be the problem or not?
Mine is the same. Without knowing how you launch it, it's hard to say what the problem might be. It's been discussed here before. The way you throw it may have more to do with why it goes up and stalls. Do you "throw" it or do you "push" it? How much power are you using when you launch it?
Sep 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Italy Genoa
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper
Mine is the same. Without knowing how you launch it, it's hard to say what the problem might be. It's been discussed here before. The way you throw it may have more to do with why it goes up and stalls. Do you "throw" it or do you "push" it? How much power are you using when you launch it?
i wrote before,
i have been up on a hill where we go fly with gliders, there were some wind to help me fly, and i launch like i launch all gliders for example Blade2m with motor on 1\2 power.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Quote:
Are you launching with any auto pilot assistance??

I have my CG set 5mm behind the long finger holes but I launch at about 2/3 throttle using a scorp 3228 1100 on 4s and 9x6. I am not 100% certain of kv.

My build is light. Only a single 4s 4000 or 5000 mah for motor and servos and 2200 mah 3s to drive the VTX. It carries FY ap 21 and FY 117 ap OSD and a FPV cam to carry. No extra weight or reinforcement other than CF tongue at wing joiner and fiber tape on LE of wings.

I hold the model by the finger grips and balance the nose with the left hand which also holds my TX.

One step and a shove into the wind and off it goes. After many many launches only one failure when I did not take location altitude into consideration.

I launch with auto pilot "on" and in stable flight mode.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
So my Maiden went crazy, but I finally figured everything out. My first launch was out of control, and a stall/spin straight into the ground nose first. Bent/separated the nose and broke the big carbon fiber wing spar. Turns out I launched it with the gain on from the guardian stabilizer, along with a CG too far rear. Some packing tape and a 3/8 inch dowel from lowes later, I was back up. Flew fine but wouldn't turn left very well. Some settings were wrong with the mixing. After I got that fixed, it finally flew good. Threw on the goggles, and flew FPV so long I got bored! So now I have an APM2.5 on the way to make this really fun.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
Last edited by zolpot; Feb 21, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
Sep 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Nope, you've got all you need, assuming the little squares for the canopy magnets
are in the bag (think I see corner of one there). The rectangular pieces that
used to go through those slots in the wing root, have been eliminated from the kit.

ian
Sep 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
So does anyone recommend making their own rectangular pieces for the wing slots or was that pointless. I guess I'm asking why would they eliminate it, to save money or is it just not needed?
Sep 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
They were originally intended to be used only as a method to hold the wings on by
putting some sort of bolt or screw through them (the hole is still in the wing).
Now the intention is that a bolt or screw be put through the holes in the top (the tabs that stick up)
of the wing root pieces instead. I use neither. Even in a mild crash, any small attachment
mechanism like a bolt, will serve only to rip the thin plywood apart, of tear it from the foam.
Instead, I just use tape to hold the wings on. Same as I use tape to hold
the wings on, my 350mph 15lb carbon composite DS plane. It holds up to flight loads
and gives in a crash or rough landing.

Of course feel free to over-complicate the X8 build. Most people here do.

ian

Quick Reply