Sep 12, 2012, 09:12 AM
ParkScaleModels
Thayer...can you bring your plane CG balancer to get the Albatross balanced?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mike, what kind of filler do you use?
Sep 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
Subscribed!
Sep 12, 2012, 08:06 PM
Airplane crasher
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsiv
Mike, what kind of filler do you use?
I have a giant tub of patch-n-paint wall filler. I bought the tub about 6 years ago to repair a wall and have been using it since
Sep 13, 2012, 10:51 AM
Flying Models Plans
Mike came over this morning so we could maiden the Kingfisher. I was very impressed and might just have to have one of my own.

I am doing final packing for NEAT now and have it in the car. Mike is on the way home to post photos and I will have video once I get back Sunday evening. Come on by the Park Scale Models tent this weekend to see it up close.

Thayer

I forgot to mention, Mike came in a few ounces under two pounds with monokote on the fuselage, litefilm on the flying surface and a 3S 2200mah battery. It was a little nose heavy, so I would recommend an 1800mAh pack. Should be no trouble to keep it within the park flyer weight range, possibly even with the retracts.
Last edited by Thayer; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Sep 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
Airplane crasher
Thread OP

Success with another one

I am posting a few pictures of the maiden of the Kingfisher. I have to say it looked great in the air and seemed to have plenty of power with the Neo 370 1000kv motor swinging a 9x6 prop. Thayer will be flying it off the pond at NEAT and Zeke will have it in his tent. There are a few suggested changes that Thayer made and I think I will do them. Here are a couple pictures to show that she made it
Sep 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
road wart
Nice!
Sep 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
Very nice, when the kit will be available for public ?
Sep 17, 2012, 07:26 PM
Airplane crasher
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaldu
Very nice, when the kit will be available for public ?
We are not ready just yet to release the kit. There are a couple refinements I wanted to do. One was to add a little dihedral to the wing rather than having a flat wing. I also need to do the instructions manual. I am hoping to have all of this done and the new design tested in the next couple months. I might get it done sooner, but don't want to rush a good kit only to have issues later. I have been working on the changes and will hopefully have another one built soon
Sep 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
Now that the rush is over, any more build photos etc? Can't wait for it to be available.
Sep 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Airplane crasher
Thread OP
Today I meet Thayer to do another round of testing on the King Fisher and to get video as the first one was accidently erased. Now granted the conditions were less than Ideal as the wind was North North West at between 8-12mph. Sea state was a scale 1-2' a bit further off from the beach
Thayer started by doing some taxi runs to get the feel of her in the wind. After learning how the rudder would respond and finding it best to apply full down Elevator to get the rudder to grip he proceeded to do some cross wind take-offs and landings. Then it was time to roll tape and get some good footage of her in her element.
Zeke has the video and will edit and post later. You will see how well she handles the wind and was tracking great. You will also see Thayer doing a loop as well as a barrel roll. After we got a great video it was time for me to take the sticks. I started doing some taxi runs and then decided to go airborn. That was when the real suprise came. This gem is tame and in the intermediate pilot range.
With the straight wing the banks are precise but return to center is slow. This was expected as the wing has no dihedral. Elevator response was great and pitch change with throttle did not cause much altitude change.
All in my impression of the plane is this is going to be a super fun plane. She really is fun.
Sep 27, 2012, 05:27 PM
Airplane crasher
Thread OP

Uploaded the video

Anderson Kingfisher (3 min 8 sec)

Here is the video of todays flight of the King.
Sep 27, 2012, 09:14 PM
road wart
surprising how fast that plane seems at that weight........you said under 2lbs ?
was Thayer using any expo? or a rudder mix?
Sep 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
Flying Models Plans
29 oz. The WL is about 12.5 and a WCL of 8.3.

Video always makes a model look fast and especially so here as we are rather far from the background. I was also keeping the speed up to counter any unexpected wind issues.

No rudder mix and 15 points of expo on the elevator and aileron. Mike's setup is a little unconventional in that there is at least 4:1 and maybe more, mechanical differential in the ailerons. I don't think you need nearly that much.

It is a sweet flyer with a relatively short squawk list for a first prototype.
Sep 28, 2012, 07:54 AM
Airplane crasher
Thread OP
Thank you Thayer for your comments on the plane. We have gone over the list you e-mailed us last night and are working on the suggested changes

Quick Reply