Sep 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
It's gonna be ready for this weekend, come hell or high water!

Got a new 20 x 8 Mezj prop coming, along with AirWild's 1.5" aluminum servo arms. I was gonna get Vess' 20A prop, but they were out of stock in wood props, and there isn't anything smaller than a 23 available in carbon. So, I decided to get everything I needed from one place. AirWild has a pretty nice selection of goodies on their site!

One thing I'm slightly concerned about is drilling a 4-bolt pattern on the prop, all the while keeping it balanced. I'll use the washer from the prop adapter to lay out the holes, but still seems like an easily screwed up job to me. Anyone have any tips for this process?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
Wingman II
Drill press.
Sep 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
Drill press.
Genius. Sheer genius.
I gots me one of them at work, I'll take it in and see what I can do.
Sep 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
I could use some help here! I just got my slick. I got a 20x6 prop xoar and it is going to go on a DLE 30cc The prop came Pre drilled. What type of spinner can I get that will fit over this prop??( without cutting on it??) any info would be great!
Sep 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
Quad Racer. They make a attachment that goes for the DLE motor. It's 20 bucks at tower hobbies. I would make sure you use a drill press though. I screwed 1 up using a drill!
Sep 11, 2012, 07:03 AM
3DHS 'native'
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Omega-3-C...r_p_15693.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
I could use some help here! I just got my slick. I got a 20x6 prop xoar and it is going to go on a DLE 30cc The prop came Pre drilled. What type of spinner can I get that will fit over this prop??( without cutting on it??) any info would be great!
Sep 11, 2012, 07:06 AM
Quote:
Quad Racer. They make a attachment that goes for the DLE motor. It's 20 bucks at tower hobbies. I would make sure you use a drill press though. I screwed 1 up using a drill!
I've seen those, but personally I don't see the point in buying a $20 jig when the washer from the prop adapter has the exact same pattern on it. I can slide the prop on the main shaft then mark the 4 holes and drill.
Sep 11, 2012, 07:08 AM
Keith Thomas
Quote:
If you want to go cheap....sorry, inexpensive try Esprit Hobbies TY spinners.

http://www.espritmodel.com/ty-nylon-spinners.aspx For grins I bought one and gave it a try and was amazed at how well balanced it was. I now have them on several planes.

There are a bunch of options out there that a pre-cut but the TY spinner carries a lot of bang for the buck.
Sep 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys for the help! I am going to order the carbon spinner!
Sep 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
If you want to go cheap....sorry, inexpensive try Esprit Hobbies TY spinners.

http://www.espritmodel.com/ty-nylon-spinners.aspx For grins I bought one and gave it a try and was amazed at how well balanced it was. I now have them on several planes.

There are a bunch of options out there that a pre-cut but the TY spinner carries a lot of bang for the buck.
Looks just like a Great Planes spinner!!

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Sep 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
And......I got my second flight on my Slick today (was too darn windy for a lot of flying)....no loss of canopy, and I slid my pack back as it was pretty nose heavy the first flight....Rudder servo in the tail, back about 2" forward of the wing tube, and nose heavy....now back about 1.25" and was just very slightly tail heavy, but I was also at one of those points where one click of up trim it was climbing, one click of down trim it was diving, so, changed my trim step from 4 to 2....should be perfect next time!! Flew for five minutes, only took 53% out of my pack!! Love the motor I have in this plane.....

SteveT
Sep 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
Keith Thomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Looks just like a Great Planes spinner!!

SteveT
Sure could be. The only thing I can see that may be different is mine takes 4 screws to hold it on. Without seeing the Great Planes in person it looks like there's only has 2 screws.

I originally bought a carbon fiber spinner but could not get it to balance. I put the TY on and it was right on the money. The TY is not a bad spinner but not nearly as good looking as the carbon fiber .....paper weight one.
Sep 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithtsr View Post
Sure could be. The only thing I can see that may be different is mine takes 4 screws to hold it on. Without seeing the Great Planes in person it looks like there's only has 2 screws.

I originally bought a carbon fiber spinner but could not get it to balance. I put the TY on and it was right on the money. The TY is not a bad spinner but not nearly as good looking as the carbon fiber .....paper weight one.
Yup...Great Planes only two.... but the pic on Esprit looked like only two also.....but you would know....

For myself...Carbon fiber spinners don't really do anything for me, as I like the spinner color to match the plane.....and most full size aircraft don't have black spinners unless of course they have black on the plane, which most of my planes don't other than just black stripes......everybody like different things though.....which is good, other wise things would sure get boring....

SteveT
Sep 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
SO my Hacker A50-16L is back at aero model getting to go over. There was some lateral play with the can and it came down boiling hot. Kyle says there is a fix by upgrading it to version 2.1 spec. I was running a 20x10 mezj and liked it. It wasn't the fastest but it was plenty for good 3d.

Now I've got the upgrade itch. Do you guys think a motrofly 4325-280 would be worth the upgrade? I'd like to still use the $80 prop I have but would consider a 20x8 for testing. I figure I can recoup 1/2 the cost by reselling the Hacker. Thoughts?
Sep 11, 2012, 07:10 PM
The Twisted Elf
i just got home from flying my slick with the 4325-280 motor and i love it,20x8 apc prop flying for 6 mins mildly

Quick Reply