Sep 05, 2012, 12:13 PM
Sure thing, aeajr.

The Mystique sounds like it will be just a bit on the heavy side for a real floater. One might be better served with something like the many choices from TopModel, such as the Avia, that are a bit smaller but lighter and the same or lower price. Or, if performance is more important than price, something like a Pulsar or a hideously expensive contest design might be better. 11 ounces per square foot is not excessive for a 3meter ship but 8.5 would be better. It should be a very good sport flier at a very attractive price but I think people might be a bit disappointed if they expect it to compete head to head against lighter ships. At this size and weight it should easily outperform a much lighter 2meter ship and that is I think where the market for the Mystique will lie; guys who want a bigger sailplane and don't really expect to compete against planes of similar size that might cost a good deal more.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2012, 08:10 PM
They Call him Dead!
Rigidity can be quite unbecoming when forced on to others. Please relax and enjoy the hobby
Sep 05, 2012, 08:38 PM
I didn't do it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead
Rigidity can be quite unbecoming when forced on to others. Please relax and enjoy the hobby
Quiet true. That's what it's all about, enjoyment, not anger or stress.
Sep 05, 2012, 10:20 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh
Sure thing, aeajr.

The Mystique sounds like it will be just a bit on the heavy side for a real floater. One might be better served with something like the many choices from TopModel, such as the Avia, that are a bit smaller but lighter and the same or lower price. Or, if performance is more important than price, something like a Pulsar or a hideously expensive contest design might be better. 11 ounces per square foot is not excessive for a 3meter ship but 8.5 would be better. It should be a very good sport flier at a very attractive price but I think people might be a bit disappointed if they expect it to compete head to head against lighter ships. At this size and weight it should easily outperform a much lighter 2meter ship and that is I think where the market for the Mystique will lie; guys who want a bigger sailplane and don't really expect to compete against planes of similar size that might cost a good deal more.
Why would it need to be a floater? Not all gliders need to be floaters.

For a sport e-glider I think the wing loading is pretty competitive. In fact the airfoil may be very effective at this wing loading. I would expect it to cover sky well and be very effective in somewhat breezy conditions. That is my opinion of course. I have no experience with this airfoil or this glider.

I would presume it will be lighter in pure glider form.

Comparing this to expensive competition gliders that cost 3 to 5 times as much is not a fair comparision at all. But let's compare anyway.

The wing loading of the Supra E is about 9.5 oz/sq ft. That is about 1 oz higher than the pure glider. The E-Supra costs $1500. I would love to have one. I have two of the pure glider Supras and I love them for contest flying.

Of course, actual flying experinece remains to be seen, but I think the Mystique looks like a fairly low cost for an e-glider of this type and size. I look forward to hearing flight reports.
Sep 05, 2012, 10:37 PM
Electric Glider Nut
I concur with aeajr

I've already got a TopModel Avia, which is definitely in the 'floater' category. That’s fantastic on a calm day but here in Western Australia, calm days are about as rare as a fine sunny day in a UK winter... unless you’re in the habit of flying at first light when the conditions are generally calm-ish – but there’s not a whiff of lift around this time of day either.

On the other side of the coin I also have a Multiplex Cularis. This is a slightly bigger airframe than the Avia, but critically it has a higher wing loading which of course allows for better penetration on those days when there is anything more than a puff of breeze around. But, being a foamie I am looking for something with a little more robust traditional airframe and the Mystique certainly fulfils that requirement.

My Mystique is already on order and apparently is only 5-6 weeks away. I’m glad it isn’t billed as a ‘floater’. I already have one of those. I want a e-glider that will perform on those breezy summer afternoons without being blown backwards like some lighter airframe ships.

Naturally all this is just conjecture at this point but the numbers are pointing to this being a great sport flyer/soarer. And for those trying to compare it to a full-blown contest glider worth 2 or 3 times as much... I mean – really???

Sep 05, 2012, 11:07 PM
I think we all just found a rather tortuous way of agreeing with each other!

It's frustrating but fun to speculate about a plane that hasn't hit the shelves yet. It just sounds like some people might be expecting something that the predictions don't match. Personally, I like to wait for reviews for any new plane but I am planning on another glider before winter sets in. I change my mind about 4 times a day and, when it comes time to hit "Submit" on an order I might end up with a pure floater or a scale sailplane that will most likely have relatively weak thermal catching ability. Or a hotliner. Or...?
Sep 05, 2012, 11:43 PM
Electric Glider Nut
@ peterlngh
Sep 06, 2012, 05:03 PM
Owner at JayDiz Fishing
Flew the Mystique the other day in cycling air about 4pm with light and variable winds. Launched for a 20 sec motor run and started to search. Unfortunately it was a sink cycle and I had to range far and wide looking for any bubbles. BTW - the Mystique ranges very well... After a few minutes with no luck I felt a feed and made my way to where I though the lift would be building. I got there at about 100ft and the plane indicated it was in lift. Took a few adjustments but ended up coring the developing thermal and off she went. I had my timer running and after 20 minutes I was getting tired of looking at the speck in the sky so I brought the Mystique back to earth.

From the tone of some folks on this thread I can honestly say I would not be giving up much to a high-dollar moldie in flight performance at an ALES contest. Yes it is a sport soaring model, but the performance is stellar from the thermal soaring side of things. And for the price I would put it against anything comparable in size and price.

Sure I work at Horizon but I'm not the developer of this model or on the E-Flite team. I'm just a guy who flys sailplanes and I now have a model that I can compete with at any ALES contest.

JD
Sep 06, 2012, 05:14 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Thank you for a nice flight report "enjoyed reading it"
Is there a chance that you could post some video clips of it?
Kris
Sep 06, 2012, 05:15 PM
Owner at JayDiz Fishing
Running the available Altitude sensor and the prototype battery voltage monitor sensor with the XG11. Next flights I'll be able to tell you how high the Mystique gets in a give motor run...
JD
Sep 06, 2012, 08:40 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
I just pre-ordered one with my LHS. They said it's showing shipping in 2 weeks (9/20)!
Sep 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhrnd40
Flew the Mystique the other day in cycling air about 4pm with light and variable winds. Launched for a 20 sec motor run and started to search. Unfortunately it was a sink cycle and I had to range far and wide looking for any bubbles. BTW - the Mystique ranges very well... After a few minutes with no luck I felt a feed and made my way to where I though the lift would be building. I got there at about 100ft and the plane indicated it was in lift. Took a few adjustments but ended up coring the developing thermal and off she went. I had my timer running and after 20 minutes I was getting tired of looking at the speck in the sky so I brought the Mystique back to earth.

From the tone of some folks on this thread I can honestly say I would not be giving up much to a high-dollar moldie in flight performance at an ALES contest. Yes it is a sport soaring model, but the performance is stellar from the thermal soaring side of things. And for the price I would put it against anything comparable in size and price.

Sure I work at Horizon but I'm not the developer of this model or on the E-Flite team. I'm just a guy who flys sailplanes and I now have a model that I can compete with at any ALES contest.

JD

This all sounds AWESOME, JD! I'm getting all "geeked out" about getting one of these. Looking forward to them shipping soon.

Also going to have to look into those additional sensors for my DX-8...
Sep 07, 2012, 08:24 PM
Owner at JayDiz Fishing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Jordan
Also going to have to look into those additional sensors for my DX-8...
Note that I'm using the JR DMSS XG11 and the JR Telemetry sensors. These plug into the receiver with a simple Y-harness. You can see the altitude sensor in the photo. Also the receiver voltage is built into the receiver. These JR sensors are not compatible with the Spektrum system. For the DX8 you'll need the TM1000 and the applicable Spektrum telemetry sensors.

JD
Sep 07, 2012, 08:43 PM
Fly low and slow ?
Just wanted to clarify something, are main wings held on by tape only after sliding them over the spar or is there a screw of some sort there that helps to hold them in place also.
Last edited by motoman97; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Sep 09, 2012, 06:25 AM
Hi JD ,will be following up with JR Telemetry sensors my Mystique pre order is lodged just waiting delivery here in Australia..I can't wait to get the plane fitted and flying.

Quick Reply