Jul 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Has anyone ever put a CineStar Gimbal on a Rusty's frame? I am thinking about getting one and wonder what has to be done to mount it.
Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2012, 04:29 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro
Has anyone ever put a CineStar Gimbal on a Rusty's frame? I am thinking about getting one and wonder what has to be done to mount it.
Thanks
I dont think ive seen anyone post about mounting cinestar gimbals to their Rusty's frame in this particular thread...

However, I dont think it would be that difficult seeing as you have so namy mounting options and you could probably even have Rusty make you a custom mount if need be.

I would love to see one of these gimbals on a Rusty frame though.
Jul 31, 2012, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE
I dont think ive seen anyone post about mounting cinestar gimbals to their Rusty's frame in this particular thread...

However, I dont think it would be that difficult seeing as you have so namy mounting options and you could probably even have Rusty make you a custom mount if need be.

I would love to see one of these gimbals on a Rusty frame though.
Yes, I am itching to pull the trigger.
Jul 31, 2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Yes, I am itching to pull the trigger.
are you looking at the 2 or 3 axis gimbal? doesnt the 2 axis have the boom that supports it from the top? if so...you may be able to use the floating mount assembly and some clamps....but i havent really studied the cinestar gimbal that much so im not really sure.

either way i think you wouldnt have too much trouble coming up with a way to mount it....
Jul 31, 2012, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
are you looking at the 2 or 3 axis gimbal? doesnt the 2 axis have the boom that supports it from the top? if so...you may be able to use the floating mount assembly and some clamps....but i havent really studied the cinestar gimbal that much so im not really sure.

either way i think you wouldnt have too much trouble coming up with a way to mount it....
I don't think it will be hard either, I have an octocopter that I am going to mount it on.
Jul 31, 2012, 08:19 PM
Was lookin into the same thing a short time back too:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6#post21903335

Funny you posted because I was just doing some more research this afternoon. If you check out this guys video and fast forward to 5:00, it really shows a good view on how the gimbal is installed.

Cinestar 8 Gimbal Setup Tips (18 min 43 sec)

Looks pretty easy, almost as easy as just drilling some holes in Rusty's floating plate and putting the screw mounts through.

Rusty: Any thoughts on making an adapter plate like this that would accommodate the cinestar vib iso's now that you have the arm leg mounts?
http://precisiondigitalimaging.mybig...-carbon-fiber/
Last edited by janoots2; Jul 31, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Jul 31, 2012, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
Thanks for posting that, it looks real easy to mount. Maybe Rusty can come up with a professional look solution. I think I am ordering this tomorrow.
Jul 31, 2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Thanks for posting that, it looks real easy to mount. Maybe Rusty can come up with a professional look solution. I think I am ordering this tomorrow.
Wish i could afford a cinestar gimbal....i have the copter frame two Dee gimbal...its pretty nice for the price...still dialing it in with my Hexa....looking at possibly getting the new Sony Rx 100...seen some amazing video from it...or i can go with the nex5n...they aren't that much different in price
Jul 31, 2012, 10:11 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Wish i could afford a cinestar gimbal
Yea me too. LOL
I have to buy it now, I am starting to get busier and it should make getting usable footage easier.
Jul 31, 2012, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Yea me too. LOL
I have to buy it now, I am starting to get busier and it should make getting usable footage easier.
Looking forward to seeing how you end up installing it and the results!
Jul 31, 2012, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiwikat
Are there any Octo Builds out there?, Im thinking of building my UAP1 up to an Octo spinning 15x5.5's

Anyone built a big octo rusty?
I think this one is big! It uses 500mm 16mm CF tubes from GLB. I just cut each one of these in half. I am pleased with the quality.

I doubled up on the center plates (just because why not). Yes, Rusty, I know I tightened the screws to much (as shown in the attached picture) Ha!

I also used two of the large motor mounting plates per motor, because this was before Rusty offered the double block motor mounting plates.

I call this one "The Poor Man's Cinestar". I also call it the "Gentle Giant", because it flies so nice! Using MK FC/Nav/GPS with timecop's i2c converter and some SimonK-flashed ESC's.

Note that the GPS is mounted on the arm (like it is on a Cinestar) by using two boom clamps coupled with one of Rusty's CopterControl to MK Adapters, which are discontinued.

I like flying it with the 14" props on there (that is what is shown in the picture), but I must admit that I think the bird flies better, smoother, and maybe even more efficiently using 12x3.8 props. I use two 4Sx6,000mah batteries strapped to the top plate (copying Cinestar). But I should also admit that I think this idea only works well when you have a similar weight hanging under the bird (such as a fully-loaded gimbal).

My motors are RC Tiger MT2814/11's (710KV).

Please keep us posted on your build!
Jul 31, 2012, 11:45 PM
I'm New
That's a beast!

The thing with battery on top is that you to to be positive that you will never flip, cause its toast when you flip.

I know, mine flip, two 4s gone.
Aug 01, 2012, 07:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks
The CineStar mount is on the to-do list, since a couple people have asked about it recently. One guy is sending me his camera mounting plate, and vibration dampers so I can come up with an adapter, so all I can say is standby

I've been tinkering with a few other ideas as well, but my day job has been busy since my coworker has been gone for almost 4 weeks. He's back next week, so it will be like a vacation

Cheers,
Rusty
Aug 01, 2012, 07:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3
The CineStar mount is on the to-do list, since a couple people have asked about it recently. One guy is sending me his camera mounting plate, and vibration dampers so I can come up with an adapter, so all I can say is standby

I've been tinkering with a few other ideas as well, but my day job has been busy since my coworker has been gone for almost 4 weeks. He's back next week, so it will be like a vacation

Cheers,
Rusty
Great, thank you.
Aug 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfaix
That's a beast!

The thing with battery on top is that you to to be positive that you will never flip, cause its toast when you flip.

I know, mine flip, two 4s gone.
That brings up a question. Should the batteries be a low as possible (below the booms/arms) to lower the COG and thus increase stability? Or should one try to have an even weight distribution relative to the booms (batteries on top and equally heavy gimbal and camera below the booms?

Quick Reply