Jul 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B
Dave,

(Nitrocharged)

My HK Sky Angel T-45 that was sent with torn wing, aileron, and some other damage. It will be a organ doner soon because I will salvage the electronics. This is the one that I asked you about the ESC. Any airframe parts someone wants, cheap! Ask before I destroy out of sheer satisfaction of my loss!

Fred

Ya know you can get a wing for 5 bucks...

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Wing_set_.html

What do you want for it???...This would round out my Hawk/T-45 collection as I now have 90mm, 70mm, 50mm, and now 30mm versions....35mm would slot right in!!!........

Kevin

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2012, 12:09 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
Ya know you can get a wing for 5 bucks...

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Wing_set_.html

What do you want for it???...This would round out my Hawk/T-45 collection as I now have 90mm, 70mm, 50mm, and now 30mm versions....35mm would slot right in!!!........

Kevin

Kevin
It isn't the money. HK strung me out promising to make good on their failures. I took pictures, sent them in, multiple times. Every request from their CS Department was adhered to. As soon as the time period to dispute resolution with PayPal was up........ The announced the issue was solved. No explination, nothing. So now it is my trophy to remind me of "Why I do not shop at HK ever again, period!" In fact, I haven't ordered a mail delivery of a complete airframe since, from anyone. I'm just going to build them from scratch.

I won't sell this junk to a friend, or anyone for that matter! So if you want a complete airframe, buy a new one, but do so at HobbyB. This one isn't worth it. I was so off because they took advantage of my wife who didn't know not to accept delivery from China without inspecting the package for damage. They actually went and put white packing tape over the hole that was impailed by something big and heavy.

So I will use the guts just so I don't feel totally used and abused. I shouldn't have to buy anything for a brand new airplane that came un-flyable. I was thinking the canopy/pilots or something that wasn't ruined might be of some value to someone that already owned one of these. Sorry this post should read, Rant.

HobbyB sells an F-16 that all the gear would fit right in. Hummmmmmm..........
Jul 28, 2012, 12:36 AM
Quote:
It isn't the money. HK strung me out promising to make good on their failures. I took pictures, sent them in, multiple times. Every request from their CS Department was adhered to. As soon as the time period to dispute resolution with PayPal was up........ The announced the issue was solved. No explination, nothing. So now it is my trophy to remind me of "Why I do not shop at HK ever again, period!" In fact, I haven't ordered a mail delivery of a complete airframe since, from anyone. I'm just going to build them from scratch.

I won't sell this junk to a friend, or anyone for that matter! So if you want a complete airframe, buy a new one, but do so at HobbyB. This one isn't worth it. I was so off because they took advantage of my wife who didn't know not to accept delivery from China without inspecting the package for damage. They actually went and put white packing tape over the hole that was impailed by something big and heavy.

So I will use the guts just so I don't feel totally used and abused. I shouldn't have to buy anything for a brand new airplane that came un-flyable. I was thinking the canopy/pilots or something that wasn't ruined might be of some value to someone that already owned one of these. Sorry this post should read, Rant.

HobbyB sells an F-16 that all the gear would fit right in. Hummmmmmm..........
I have a couple of points against my RCG account exposing their "Sales Whiner In Chief" for selling substandard planes/parts and then doing nothing to remedy the situation...Yep---Gut it and then burn it...

The 35mm fan is a real good setup---Running mine on 4S!!!

Kevin
Jul 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
I have a couple of points against my RCG account exposing their "Sales Whiner In Chief" for selling substandard planes/parts and then doing nothing to remedy the situation...Yep---Gut it and then burn it...

The 35mm fan is a real good setup---Running mine on 4S!!!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

You are an honest and good friend. Burn it, it is! Gutted first of course! I will someday decide what is should go in. I got a 40mm I just modified, nothing too special, but thinking of a new home for that in the meantime,

So many things to do! Gosh this hobby and life in general is good!

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Jul 28, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
Jul 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Still waiting for my HobbyB white 35mm Hawk parts to arrive here.....

Meanwhile - Fred, make a call on the color scheme of the F84. You'll end up like me with way to many half built models in the shop.
Jul 28, 2012, 03:33 AM
Ground successfully attacked!

Where is all that foam dust?

OK Fred, I see the magic that can be accomplished with your hands, but where is all the foam dust that goes everywhere whenever I sand? There must be some secret, especially as your workbench looks as cluttered well organised as mine!

Martin
Jul 28, 2012, 06:25 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Jets and sushi? Hmmm, ever considered building a seaplane?
I have seen a very interesting Jet-seaplane once. Can't really remember where or what it was called... I'll see if I can find it for you.
Hanzie

Edit:
Here it is, its the SARO sra1 flying boat:
Jul 28, 2012, 06:47 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
The SRA-1? I still have to get mine together and flying....
Jul 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie
Jets and sushi? Hmmm, ever considered building a seaplane?
I have seen a very interesting Jet-seaplane once. Can't really remember where or what it was called... I'll see if I can find it for you.
Hanzie

Edit:
Here it is, its the SARO sra1 flying boat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
The SRA-1? I still have to get mine together and flying....

Gentlemen, that airplane is soooo ugly, it is beautiful. Guess I could see how you feel in love but I think it is going to gulp a huge drink of water, when it, well, hits the drink! That is a small intake. Reminds me of the Spruce Goose kinda, guess because of the hull shape, size, and how small that canopy and intake look. Did she win any beauty contests in her day?

Thanks for sharing that!

Fred
Jul 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Still waiting for my HobbyB white 35mm Hawk parts to arrive here.....

Meanwhile - Fred, make a call on the color scheme of the F84. You'll end up like me with way to many half built models in the shop.
Need any of my airframe parts? The canopy is OK!

And don't worry, the F-84 will be done soon. Got to be in the mood for painting and that comes when an example speaks to me. If it wasn't so scale, I could cheat a bit!

My unfinished airplanes are here, like everyone else, I have them too. Part of the business I guess. At least we aren't building 1/4 scale Zeppelins. But then we could only have 1 or 2 so maybe that is good!

But your kind advice is appreciated.

Fred
Jul 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundAttack
OK Fred, I see the magic that can be accomplished with your hands, but where is all the foam dust that goes everywhere whenever I sand? There must be some secret, especially as your workbench looks as cluttered well organised as mine!

Martin
Martin!

Now you listen here Mister......... look at the handles of my tool box in the photo! Sorry I wiped the dust off the side just this morning or I would have written "hello" in the dust. I change furnace filters often?

AND...........next, check out my Un-cluttered work bench! Woohoo, yeah! And don't you forget it because in 5-10 minutes after coffee break it will never look the same! I cleaned it last night because I couldn't find my Yak fuselage in all that mess! LOL.......

If your bench looks like mine, I'd sure like to meet you and see your builds too I'm sure! I need to start thinking wings and feathers, or my "Feather" today.

Fred
Jul 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Jer. 29:11
Quote:
We know that epoxy is a pain when the bottle is almost empty. But since we are airplane guys, we are very frugal and do not want to waste anything. We also know tipping the bottle helps. Probably even heard or saw some fancy stand to accomplish this. But woodworkers eat your heart out. Us foamie guys use some fff, hot glue, and from trash to riches, our life is made easier!

Fred
Plans!

Seriously, Fred, it is v. instructive watching you put into practice what you already know and what you're figuring out. It's a true delight for those who love to build. Thank you ( thank you ) for making the time to photograph and explain your steps.
Last edited by jeffsch; Jul 28, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Jul 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP
Hi Jeff,
First nice to see you checked in! Then thank you too Sir. Always a battle, but always fruits of one's labor, building that is. Those of us that love to build are brothers at heart! Thanks again.

Fred
Jul 28, 2012, 09:58 AM
Addicted to building...
Thread OP

Home brew wire cutter.

I have covered this somewhere, but I probably promised to show it again. An easy way to make a wire cutter that works awesome, and on the cheap. If you have been around awhile you may have enough stuff to make this with off the shelf parts collecting dust.

Materials:
1. A flight battery. It should be able to push 5-10 amps, and capacity gives long use before recharges.
2. A Brushed ESC. Yes those old 2 wire, DC types that drive can motors.10 amp or higher best.
3. A Servo Tester (preferred), but a TX and RX can be setup too for a quicky.
4. Hookup wire. I use cheap lamp cord, it is flexable and ready available.
5. Connectors, solder, etc. I use Deans only because all my stuff is on Deans.
6. Alligator clips are nice to connect to your hot wire.
7. The cutting wire. Music wire works, and most of us have access. Mostly I use .022", but. 015" is good for delicate stuff.
8. A bow, or other means to stretch a wire fairly tight. I made mine from plywood, but dowels work. Think Bow and Arrow.

So now look at photo #1 below. Test, find all 8 items on my material list. Done? OK let's move on.......

A wire cutting specific transformer costs $$$$$. A servo tester (driver) costs $5.00, and an ESC is less than $20 or free from your pile or a friend. Many ESC's are collecting dust everywhere. Maybe ask around.

Wire for cutting can be Nickle Chrome, Stainless Steel fishing leader, guitar strings, music wire (think landing gear wire), etc. Use what you can find, or afford.

Hook it up like you are going to power up a motor, then hook those motor leads to the bow string (bow wire). Some ESC's need to go to full throttle after plugging in, then back to zero (sets the range each time) Remember those days. practice first.It may sound funny, but I can actually hear my wire start to "sing" ever so slightly when the. 022" wire is set just hot enough to cut.

We want to have enough heat to cut the foam, but not so much it burns temolates and melts foam from a distance! No cherry red wires please! I think we are talking like 400° F, not 1100° F . You will amaze your friends, wife, kids, and yourself. Neighborhood hero, or mad scientist, they will call you names.

Now do note the fancy foam piece I just cut all squiggilly in the photo. Nice...... but it doesn't fit on my airplane.

Fred

Jul 28, 2012, 12:58 PM
SRA-1????...The last time I saw anything that close to the water with a mouth shaped like that it had a hook in it!!!......

Kevin

Quick Reply