Jun 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe_pilot
what is the ohm rating of the resistor with the red LED?
I will check that for you and let you know this weekend Did you start on the CB mod yet.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hi Gang
If anyone is looking for a deal on a Syma S107G, check out the 48 hour special at NewEgg $18.99 and free shipping.

Deals expire at
11:59pm PT on Tuesday, 07/03/2012!

EDIT Deal was in an e-mail from NewEgg to me. I can't see it on their site at that price now
Last edited by jgestner; Jul 04, 2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Price changed
Jul 07, 2012, 11:49 AM
anyone know what this issue could be??

I was flying the helicopter yesterday and when I landed it, my 20lb mini schnauzer jumped on it like a friggin cat. normally scared to death of it.

I dont see any physical damage on it but now when I turn it on, it does the front light like normal but the controls barely respond. the blades will turn for about a second or so and then it goes dead. does it randomly through the throttle input. after about 3-4 times it just goes dead and you have to turn it off and back on and it will basically rinse/repeat.

I opened it up and cant see any issue with the board and the rotor is straight, etc.

anyone have a clue?
Jul 07, 2012, 12:15 PM
Master Of My Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz

I was flying the helicopter yesterday and when I landed it, my 20lb mini schnauzer jumped on it like a friggin cat. normally scared to death of it.

I dont see any physical damage on it but now when I turn it on, it does the front light like normal but the controls barely respond. the blades will turn for about a second or so and then it goes dead. does it randomly through the throttle input. after about 3-4 times it just goes dead and you have to turn it off and back on and it will basically rinse/repeat.

I opened it up and cant see any issue with the board and the rotor is straight, etc.

anyone have a clue?

If you can send as many pictures of your poor heli as you can.
The flybar area including rotor blades
Take the canopy off and take a picture of the battery and wires.
Any other picture you think may help us diagnose your problem.

I am sorry but your post made me laugh

cheers John.
Jul 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Quote:

anyone have a clue?
Your description is somewhat consistent with a depleted battery. But I don't see how a schnauzer jumping on it could suddenly causes that. You have fully recharged the battery and it is still doing that. In addition to what John has already suggested, if you could post a video, that would be even better.
Jul 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
yeah, it did have a full charge on it as I plugged it in overnight since it was towards the end of a flight.

though after putting it back together I hooked it back in and the charger light went out so makes me wonder if I had it fully plugged in. I will report back one way or the other after it charges up lol.

anyway, let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary in this horrible quality video and yeah I figured out where that piece goes too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWhd...ature=youtu.be
Jul 07, 2012, 02:12 PM
oh yeah, anyone know where I can order a tail fin in blue just by itself? I've got a spare parts kit from ebay that supposedly comes with all the normally broken parts but doesnt have this...mine apparently got cracked by the dog lol.

edit: nice. battery was just absolutely dead. *facepalm* been flying it two years and never had this weirdness before. I guess I just didnt fully plug it into the charger or something.

but its even weirder that it can be flying just perfectly, land smoothly, dog jumply, and then nothingly...much have been the perfect storm of coincidences...
Jul 07, 2012, 02:57 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Quote:
oh yeah, anyone know where I can order a tail fin in blue just by itself? I've got a spare parts kit from ebay that supposedly comes with all the normally broken parts but doesnt have this...mine apparently got cracked by the dog lol.

By itself? You probably would have to find it on Ebay. Here's an Amazon full parts replacement set that includes it... just $3.xx and you get more spares...

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Sy...7g+spare+parts
Jul 07, 2012, 06:47 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Stackz, your helicopter looks EXACTLY like the one on my bench last night! I was repairing one for a young kid, and it had to be taken apart. LOL.

Well, I'm glad that we narrowed it down to the battery. Yours was at the LVC (Low Voltage Cut-off). That's why the rotor would spin a little and the voltage was so low that it was cut. Then just by not working on a load, the voltage bounced back up just slightly over the threshold, etc. Rinse/Repeat as you put it.

A couple of things could have happened. (A) You might not have plug in the charger fully, or (B) You might have forgotten to turn the helicopter off, so it was not charging. The timing of the dog attack was just an coincidence. You just threw that in to test me, right? Anyway, I hope everything will just work fine after a full charge.

A couple of other things. The tail fin that you were asking about, I wouldn't worry replacing it. It has no functional value. Take it off, and your tail is about 0.38g lighter, and the helicopter will fly faster than before. The Green LED on the PCB that you mentioned, is the PCB status light. When you first turn on the helicopter, the gyro needs to initialize. The best thing to do is to turn on the helicopter and let it rest on a stable surface. The green LED will go from a flash to a solid, indicating that the gyro has been initialize and it is ready to fly.

As an experiment, you could do the opposite. Hold the helicopter in your hand. After turning it on, instead of letting it come to a rest, keep it moving with you hand, and you would notice that the green LED will not stop flashing until you give the helicopter a rest. While the green LED is still flashing, the helicopter will not respond to the remote.

So, the next time when someone tells you that his helicopter used to fly fine, but now, it won't respond to the remote, this is the scenario to check. Chances are, they started to hand launch the helicopter w/o letting it initialize first.
Jul 08, 2012, 05:50 AM
Master Of My Universe
I'm pleased you found the fault

We can get familiar with our flying beasts and forget or skip steps, which is never a good idea

I am a bit sad you did not include your four legged friend in the video

cheers John.
Jul 08, 2012, 08:29 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
WOW, you Guys are loosing it. Getting old maybe? Did you not read that Stackz left his heli CHARGING OVER NIGHT!!!

I doubt very much Stackz was sitting right there watching it the whole time.

That is a HUGE NO, NO.

Stackz, please educate yourself about lipos, if not for you but, for your family as well:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

You must treat lipos with great respect Even if they do have built in "do-dads" for over charging on these little guys. Always remember "Murphy's Law."

Ever seen a 1 cell lipo fire?

Glad you are back in the air..

Mike.
Jul 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
When I first got into the hobby I built a little charge timer out of one of those mechanical bathroom fan timer knobs. I wired it into a little electrical box and plugged my power strip into it. Now when I charge anything I know that the power will automatically shut off after at most an hour. Safety first!!!

You can buy little electronic timers that turn off after a half hour or 2 or 4 hours or something like that. Highly recommended as a little safety feature.
Jul 08, 2012, 02:38 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Jul 08, 2012, 04:38 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Rule #1 (or the top of the list of "do not's"): Never leave your batteries unattended while charging.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...po-terminology
IN RED TEXT.

IMHO, a timer is a false sense of security (good to use as a reminder). Anyway, so, you set your timer for an hour. Place your batt/heli on charge. Walk out to the back yard and your batt/heli malfunctions within 10 minutes of the charge. First it will puff quickly, then hiss like a snake, smoke, then fire. All this usually happens within 10 seconds from most of the vids I've watched. BTW, I am talking about a 1S batt.

Just thinking out loud..

Mike.
Jul 08, 2012, 09:37 PM
New to the group, but have not been able to locate the answer to my question. I hadn't played with my S107 for a while, and turned it on. The batteries were all charged in both helicopter and transmitter, lights all come on on both units but nothing happens. When I hit the throttle on the transmitter, I hear a click on the helicopter, and a red light on the controller board goes solid and then flashes. It does not matter which frequency I'm on. Then the controller light just keeps flashing in 3 flash bursts. Any ideas? All the gears are fine, everything turns smoothly, etc.

Quick Reply