Jun 21, 2012, 04:51 PM
Yes, leverage is the problem. The best boom repair is described above.
Glue the foam back together with thick CA, and then cut slits in the sides and top of the boom
spanning the break for several inches each way and install carbon ribbons edgewise making
sure the boom is straight as you go. Use thin CA after ribbons are installed, or thick CA
as you go while installing each one fairly quickly. It'll be stiffer than new, and weighs very very little.

ian
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2012, 01:21 AM
John
Quote:
Originally Posted by miknce
So would that be counter clockwise viewed from back of plane?
Miknce, don't worry about which way your motor is turning, It is different for different people/props. -- First thing is to put your prop on with writing facing forward. Now start you motor and see which way the wind is blowing. Naturally it has to be blowing toward the tail. If it is blowing toward the nose, then reverse the hookup of any two of the three wires coming from the motor to the speed controller. Now the wind will be blowing toward the tail. Now you will fly. -- Good Luck, JOHN
Jun 22, 2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96
Where can I buy just the wings? Tnx!

Gent
bevrc.com sells the wings apart from whole kit.
Jun 22, 2012, 04:48 AM
My Scorpion 3014-1040kv was ordered yesterday as was my Castle Pheonix ICE 50. The ESC arrived today. Just the motor to go and then the rest is up to me.

I already have 2 x 4s-5000mha Batteries, 3 x HiTec HS65KB servoz and 1 x Align servo, FY30A-pro.

My DOSD is in for repair but I believe it will be back soon.
Jun 22, 2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1punk
I spent some time tonight trying to start the repairs on my crashed Skywalker.

I've read a few tips on straightening the foam with hot water, which I did, and it helped a little but I'm still having issues with the nose being a bit crooked.

Is there anything else I can do to straighten this out? Would it be ok to fly with a nose like that? Thanks for the help.
Just to answer your question about flying with a slightly bent nose.. Yes you can fly with a bent nose. Mine went thru a few bad crashed early and I never did get the nose straight but she flies fine.. Wings and tail need good alignment though.
Jun 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Foam Snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf1punk
I plan to glue the two halves together since they broke cleanly, and then reinforce it with 4 strips of cf ribbons embedded in the foam along the tail, 1 every 90 degrees. Then possibly wrap some fiber tape as well. May add some weight, but I think it should be ok. I'll post a follow up once I give it a try.
Just make 100% sure it's straight - the slightest bend translates in a large rudder effect on the vert stab.
Jun 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Dang ! There is a slight bent in mine since its glued back, hope it will be flyable.
Jun 22, 2012, 02:47 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Dang ! There is a slight bent in mine since its glued back, hope it will be flyable.
did you put the ribbons on ? if not, use the ribbons to correct the bend.
Jun 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM
Miknce, don't worry about which way your motor is turning, It is different for different people/props. -- First thing is to put your prop on with writing facing forward. Now start you motor and see which way the wind is blowing. Naturally it has to be blowing toward the tail. If it is blowing toward the nose, then reverse the hookup of any two of the three wires coming from the motor to the speed controller. Now the wind will be blowing toward the tail. Now you will fly. -- Good Luck, JOHN
I Just had to switch prop turn writing forward. Made big difference in air flow. I think it just might fly now. Want get a chance to test though, until next week. Will post how it turns out.
Still haven't installed any FPV gear. That will come after i fly that bird for awhile and get use to how she flyes. FPV gear to expensive to crash test.lol.
Thanks to everyone for help!!!
Mike
Jun 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99
did you put the ribbons on ? if not, use the ribbons to correct the bend.
Would it work with the boom beeing glued with GG and the CF rod inside also beeing glued with GG ?
Jun 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
so nobody answered this yet, but how are your tails looking? Mine is a bit wobbly even after reinforcing, etc...
Jun 22, 2012, 05:06 PM
As long as you properly glued the carbon tube into the boom, the tail will be fine in the air.

ian
Jun 23, 2012, 12:48 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Would it work with the boom beeing glued with GG and the CF rod inside also beeing glued with GG ?
if you can bend it by hand then you should be able to
Jun 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos
ALL RIGHT !!!!

Hope its the last time we talk about the rubber bands,

Watch the video, if a picture is worth a 1000 words, i guess a video is worth a 1000000 pictures !

Enjoy the bonus of my workbench at the end... its a mess !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTAffKvylk

I just wanted to quote this video to bring it back to the top. I have read through 700 pages before I found this. It should be added to the first post.

And I'm still reading.
Jun 23, 2012, 07:07 PM
Build Something
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407
I just wanted to quote this video to bring it back to the top. I have read through 700 pages before I found this. It should be added to the first post.

And I'm still reading.
That method doesn't provide enough tension for me, so I double mine over. Especially when the bands get a bit older, I like to have enough tension so that if one band breaks during flight, the remaining bands are still strong enough.

Sub.

Quick Reply