Apr 01, 2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponential
Charles, Glen:

Thanks for pointing out that I was not careful in stating the circumstances correctly; I also appreciate the well though-out explanation. I now understand that my confusion stems from the difference between the way presets 1 and 2 are set up vs. preset 3. As you point out, 1 and 2 have current stated in C units which would not change numerically as more packs are added to the parallel board, while preset 3 is stated in amps, which would change numerically as packs were added. So, there's no issue with the PL6; just me...

Thanks,
Chris
Please note that all of the LiPo presets can have the charge rate set to "1C" even though the factory settings of the high power preset (#3) defaults to 10.00 amps.

Assuming you are using the CCS, it can be very helpful to review all of the possible settings of the various parameters in each of the presets. The possible combinations are almost endless.

Glen
to remove ads between posts
Apr 03, 2012, 04:34 PM
Southern Pride
Also note that the Auto 1,2 and 3C charge rates are on the slow side. If you set a manual rate of say 4A it ramps up fast but if you were charging a 2200 mA at Auto 2C it will take perhaps 10 minutes to ramp up to 4.4A.

Auto C is convient for those charging ,many different capacity LiPoys and who are not real sure what manual rate to set but it is slow.

Link to Auto C charges done on PL8

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=928
Charles
Apr 05, 2012, 01:47 PM
Since this seems to be the place to ask for enhancements.

How about CCS support for OSX?
Apr 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadco
Since this seems to be the place to ask for enhancements.

How about CCS support for OSX?
LOL Someone has jokes..... There is alway Fusion!

This reply brought to you by Safari.
Apr 05, 2012, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorton
That is what I use but it would be nice to have a native version.

Sent from 10 X.
Apr 05, 2012, 07:58 PM
Sent from Linux - I use VirtualBox when needed.
Apr 05, 2012, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorton

This reply brought to you by Safari.

Nothing wrong with Fusion, It's winblows I dislike.

Gentoo would be fine too but somehow I think that's asking for too much.

I'm contemplating getting a cheapy netbook I can rdp in to.
May 09, 2012, 03:28 PM

XH/EH Wiring mode

Hi,

got PL6 with PL8 GP/KO Adaptor. Just want to balance charge some 2S-4S LiPo's from Hobbyking or Intellect Power (at the moment no parallel charging). Do I have to change Node wiring from FMA to XH/EH wiring mode...?

If I will want to balance charge in parallel (not more than two batteries) I have to get CP8S-GP/KO6S-PAR adapters and additional Revolectrix Cable REVCP8S-SBP18, right? And then do I have to change mode?

Sorry for maybe lame questions...
May 09, 2012, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by audriusv
Hi,

got PL6 with PL8 GP/KO Adaptor. Just want to balance charge some 2S-4S LiPo's from Hobbyking or Intellect Power (at the moment no parallel charging). Do I have to change Node wiring from FMA to XH/EH wiring mode...?

If I will want to balance charge in parallel (not more than two batteries) I have to get CP8S-GP/KO6S-PAR adapters and additional Revolectrix Cable REVCP8S-SBP18, right? And then do I have to change mode?

Sorry for maybe lame questions...
Definite No on your first question. If you are using the GP/KO adapter leave it at FMA. I am 80% sure that you would leave it in FMA for the second question also. When using the FMA Adapters, except for the MPA, you want to use FMA not XH/EH wiring. The adapters, except for the MPA, are wired in FMA pin sequence.

If you use someone elses adapters or the MPA then you want to change to XH/EH mode.
May 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
Now I get it. Mode depends on adapters used not on packs used. Thank you!
Jun 08, 2012, 01:14 PM
Questions from a PL6 newbie.

When setting up a User Preset I have the charge amps at 5.0. This preset is used for charging 4 of my 2s 5000mAh pack parallel.

When I run this preset as 4p it ends up charging at 20A or 1C. If I want to charge at 2C do I need just set the charge amps at the 2C rate per pack in the preset. So in this case it would be 10A which would lead to a 2C charge rate at close to 40A for what the PL6 sees as a 2s 20000mAh pack?

Or is there another way to get the preset to charge at 2C?

Ok..and now the silly question. From the CCS in the presets, how do I copy a user preset to an EMPTY user location. Can I do this from the CCS?

Thanks for any help ahead of time.
Jun 08, 2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjomaha
Questions from a PL6 newbie.

When setting up a User Preset I have the charge amps at 5.0. This preset is used for charging 4 of my 2s 5000mAh pack parallel.

When I run this preset as 4p it ends up charging at 20A or 1C. If I want to charge at 2C do I need just set the charge amps at the 2C rate per pack in the preset. So in this case it would be 10A which would lead to a 2C charge rate at close to 40A for what the PL6 sees as a 2s 20000mAh pack?

Or is there another way to get the preset to charge at 2C?

Ok..and now the silly question. From the CCS in the presets, how do I copy a user preset to an EMPTY user location. Can I do this from the CCS?

Thanks for any help ahead of time.
Yes, to charge at 2C set the charge current at 2 times the pack capacity, in your case 10amps. when you specify parallel packs the charger multiplies the charge amps you specified by the number of packs.

In CCS:
1. Click on the Presets tab.
2. Click on the preset you want to copy.
3. Click on Edit.
4. Click on Copy Preset n
5. Click on an empty preset
6. Click on Edit
7. Click on Paste Preset n to Preset n
8. Click on Update

Now you can edit the new preset. After you edit be sure to update the charger again.

To do this from the charger:

1. In the User Preset list, use INC or DEC to select the slot where you want the new
preset. Selecting an EMPTY PRESET is usually better unless you are intentionally
overwriting an existing preset. Press and hold INC or DEC to scroll rapidly.
2. Press INC+DEC to access options.
3. In the Choose TASK? screen, press INC until you see Manage Presets, then press
ENTER.
4. In the Clear Current Preset? > N screen, press ENTER.
5. In the Copy Preset from Library? screen, press INC to display Y, then press
ENTER.
6. In the Library Preset list, press INC or DEC to select the Library Preset you want to
copy, then press ENTER.
7. In the Confirm COPY from Library? screen, press INC to display Y, then press
ENTER.
8. In the Library Preset has been Copied screen, press and hold BACK to return to the
User Preset list. You’ll see the new preset.
9. As needed, modify the new preset’s properties.

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Jun 08, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Jun 08, 2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
Yes, to charge at 2C set the charge current at 2 times the pack capacity, in your case 10amps. when you specify parallel packs the charger multiplies the charge amps you specified by the number of packs.

In CCS:
1. Click on the Presets tab.
2. Click on the preset you want to copy.
3. Click on Edit.
4. Click on Copy Preset n
5. Click on an empty preset
6. Click on Edit
7. Click on Paste Preset n to Preset n
8. Click on Update

Now you can edit the new preset. After you edit be sure to update the charger again.

To do this from the charger:

1. In the User Preset list, use INC or DEC to select the slot where you want the new
preset. Selecting an EMPTY PRESET is usually better unless you are intentionally
overwriting an existing preset. Press and hold INC or DEC to scroll rapidly.
2. Press INC+DEC to access options.
3. In the Choose TASK? screen, press INC until you see Manage Presets, then press
ENTER.
4. In the Clear Current Preset? > N screen, press ENTER.
5. In the Copy Preset from Library? screen, press INC to display Y, then press
ENTER.
6. In the Library Preset list, press INC or DEC to select the Library Preset you want to
copy, then press ENTER.
7. In the Confirm COPY from Library? screen, press INC to display Y, then press
ENTER.
8. In the Library Preset has been Copied screen, press and hold BACK to return to the
User Preset list. You’ll see the new preset.
9. As needed, modify the new preset’s properties.

Glen
Great!!! Thank you very much. This thing is an awsome little machine for sure. I got stuck just watching the graphs on the first couple sets of packs I charged.
Jun 14, 2012, 04:42 AM

Balancing

Is the balancing process a positive current (charge) or negative (discharge) individual cell ?

I really like the way it is done on my 10S (balance charge) but I need another charger and It's difficult to know for sure by reading the manual of the power lab 6

The balance charging on my 10S does help to reduce charge time.

Thanks

Michel
Jun 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelcote
Is the balancing process a positive current (charge) or negative (discharge) individual cell ?

I really like the way it is done on my 10S (balance charge) but I need another charger and It's difficult to know for sure by reading the manual of the power lab 6

The balance charging on my 10S does help to reduce charge time.

Thanks

Michel
Hi:

The balance electronics and algorithms are identical on the Cellpro 10s, Cellpro 10XP, PL6 and PL8. The individual balance circuits achieve a maximum of 1A "discharge" current. Charge current flows through all cells of the pack. The cells which are weaker (smaller capacity) charge faster. The cells which are stronger (larger capacity) charge slower. The uC closely monitors each cell's voltage. It controls the balance circuits proportionally. So it turns balance circuits more "on" for the weaker cells to slow down the charge and allow the stronger cells to catch up. Proportional control is more adjustable and more accurate than the typical "bang, bang" method. By default, we also start balancing early in the charge process which results in a faster overall charge.

An added bonus, when you purchase a PowerLab series battery workstation, many aspects are adjustable by the consumer using the Charge Control Software (CCS). In fact, up so 100 parameters per preset can be adjusted, including many aspects of how the balancers operate. Customize to your heart's desire if that's the kind of thing that you like to do.

Tim Marks

Quick Reply