Jun 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
Dixie Normious
I would not go any bigger then a 5000 4S, there have been guys post that they have earlier in
thread.
Im planning on 2 4500mah later.

Right now i got 2x 2650mahs and 1 3000mah. Great for a light/acro flight. But want something with a bit more weight for windy days and a bit more flight time.
Right now my timer is set for 6min on the smaller batts.

She can handle the 5000mahs

Just back from 3 flightsafter LG fix. Perfect.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2012, 06:33 PM
crack Spain
sorry,now read the 436 post, where spoke about battery
Is true , the axi motors is the best?are expensive but i think is good for the plane
Last edited by joselu; Jun 09, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Jun 09, 2012, 08:05 PM
I'm flying with 3300 mAh (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html) and they weight is 340g. (timer set to 9 minutes)

+ GoPro Camera with mounting 150g
+ some modifications 40g

= 530g

5000mAh battery (like tihis https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html) is 523g so i think there will be no difference.

You can see how it works on my videos (see previous page).
Jun 11, 2012, 06:21 AM
REQUEST!

I'd like to ask all who have and mount their GoPro's on the Sbach to share how they mount it, with pictures if possible! I have one and haven't had the courage to mount it yet...
Jun 11, 2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvalis View Post
REQUEST!

I'd like to ask all who have and mount their GoPro's on the Sbach to share how they mount it, with pictures if possible! I have one and haven't had the courage to mount it yet...
previous page
Jun 11, 2012, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapcase View Post
previous page
Yeah, I got yours, hence, the idea of asking everyone else the same!
Jun 12, 2012, 12:47 PM
Finally got mine flying a few weeks ago, after first breaking the propshaft when overtightening the propnut. Changed to a Turnigy G32 770kv and am keeping the original motor as a spare.
She flies great! I'm using 4s3000mah zippy's, 14x7 apc, and im loving the thing!

Anyways, my rudderservo failed the other day, and caused a low altitude, low speed crash. No biggie really. need to replace at least 2 servos, but had planned to replace all anyways. A little reglueing of the plywood, and som cracks in the epo, but nothing a little ca wont fix.

Now to my question for you guys.
My right aileron got ripped loose, and i need to re-hinge it.
Anyone done it?
I'm pretty much a noob with planes, and im just not sure..
Cut a hinge sized slot in wing and aileron, and ca the dubro's in there?
Or maybe theres a better way?
Last edited by Skalle; Jun 12, 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
Jun 12, 2012, 02:01 PM

With foam, I'd stay away from all CA. Foam safe CA is not very strong, IMHO, and it takes FOREVER to dry and set. Kicker on CA is not good for foam. You could epoxy some nylon hinges into it, or maybe try Blenderm tape. Someone will probably tell you to use clear packing tape or some other thing, but if I were you, I'd stick to a real hinge of some sort. Blenderm is also called hinge tape at your LHS.
Don
Jun 12, 2012, 02:39 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post

With foam, I'd stay away from all CA. Foam safe CA is not very strong, IMHO, and it takes FOREVER to dry and set. Kicker on CA is not good for foam. You could epoxy some nylon hinges into it, or maybe try Blenderm tape. Someone will probably tell you to use clear packing tape or some other thing, but if I were you, I'd stick to a real hinge of some sort. Blenderm is also called hinge tape at your LHS.
Don
Any special epoxy to use, or special technique as I'm having trouble for it to stick with epoxy. Should I roughen up the foam before applying epoxy. The foam seems different to other planes that I have repaired.
Thanks for any advice.

(I keep ripping out the landing gear).
Jun 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
I use Shoe Goo from Walmart on all my foam mods and repairs. Sticks anything to anything. If you break a plane in half use the goo on most of the joint and hot glue for spot joining. This combo allows fast and strong repairs. The goo sets up over night while the hot glue keeps the parts together during the setup.
Jun 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:

Don
Thanks for the tips Don
I have to say im confused though.
Some tell me to ONLY use CA on EPO, and stay away from epoxy. Some tell me to stay away from epoxy and only use CA. I put together two Multiplex Elapor models some weeks ago, and remeber the manuals telling me to use "zacki" , which is, as far as i can tell, standard medium CA.
The HK Sbach epo foam seems very similar to the multiplex elapor..
I have friends telling me to to use foam adapted contact glue like uhu-por, and a big scale geek just told me tonight to ALLWAYS use epoxy on hinges and other highstress areas..

well, i guess ill use epoxy for my hinges then
Jun 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
I use Shoe Goo from Walmart on all my foam mods and repairs. Sticks anything to anything. If you break a plane in half use the goo on most of the joint and hot glue for spot joining. This combo allows fast and strong repairs. The goo sets up over night while the hot glue keeps the parts together during the setup.
Not sure if i should be happy or sad that we dont have wallmart in Norway. Ive come across opinions leading in both directions
Thanks for the tip anyways. I'll try to figure out what's the closest equivalent available to me here.
Jun 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm going to have to back step a bit. I didn't notice that you have EPO foam. I know nothing about that foam, so I am probably waaaay off. Listen to the folks that do know EPO foam. Sorry to add to the confusion!
Don
Jun 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Luck is my skill
Quote:
I'm going to have to back step a bit. I didn't notice that you have EPO foam. I know nothing about that foam, so I am probably waaaay off. Listen to the folks that do know EPO foam. Sorry to add to the confusion!
Don
Naw your on point, most CA's will still be brittle on EPO, lord knows I've tried them all.

Though 1 CA does stick out and works great on EPO for me, dries clear with no white resedue, great for repairing hinges as well becaue its flexible O.o yes FLEXIBLE! I don't recommend using kicker though (even though I do cause I can't wait!)

Insta-Flex Plus Clear Rubber CA 1. oz
Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Don; no worries.

Glued some Dubro nylon hinges in there today using Loctite 5min epoxy.
Seems to work nicely. Took about an hour to dry solid, but it sticks well, and my aileron is now back where it belongs.
I've tried to read up a little, and apparently people use all kinds of glue on epo.

Fixed up my Sbach completely today after my crash a few days ago.
Used epoxy for hinges, and to glue the plywood firewall back in to its slot. Used multiplex zacki (medium CA) to fix a few small cracks in the fuselage and all seems to have worked great. We'll see how it holds up in a few weeks

Also had to change the right aileron servo and the rudder servo, so i decided to change them all.
Put in JR ES539's on rudder and elevator, and Corona 939mg's on ailerons.
No good reason for choosing those, I just put in something i had lying around.
The JR's centers very well, and have power, but one can always wish for more speed on the elevator..But I'm pretty sure they will outlast the plane. In my experience from car use, JR servos are very durable.
Not so sure about the Corona's though. I've got them in 2 other planes, and they have worked perfect so far. They are fast and strong for tiny servos, but i've read that i probably shouldn't expect them to last for years..

When i put the battery back in to set up with the new servos, i also spun up the engine to check for any issues after the crash.
It made a horrific sound! like a bearing was filled with rocks instead of balls.
Easily noticeable was that the spinner and prop had gotten some beating. Didn't spin true, so I threw them both out.
Took the Turnigy G32 out and opened it. One magnet had come loose and was grinding as the bell rotates. Only minimal damage to the magnet, so i glued it back in, but the motor still makes an annoying sound. Not loud, but certainly somethings wrong. Something hits something else once pr revolution. Might be my gluing that didn't go well.
Anyways, since i've now got a replacement FMS propshaft for the original engine, i retired the Turnigy for now, and put in the original "pinky".
Found a black Dubro 2 3/4" spinner in my box of misc spares, and and after expanding the propblade holes and balancing it up, it seems to work nicely with my APC 14x7's.

So the Sbach is again ready for my abuse

If only the weather on the coast of Norway could cooperate..
Anyway; Big thanks to all you guys. I've found a lot of good help here!

Quick Reply