Jun 11, 2012, 05:52 AM
Nope i have it with my tablet as well as with my SGII. Pls go to parameter change something and the press send. It shuts down with me if I do that. The rest is all working.

TIP. Mount the gps on the pole. I just tried to mount the gps to my frame and even it calibrated fine. I had a lot of toilet bowling and bad flying behaviour. After mounting it back on the pole all is well again. On the wookong I experience the same behaviour.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Oh and can we pls get carefree. When flying in heavy crowed (building, trees) spaces it is so much safer then RTH.
Jun 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
MULTIROTOR FREAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucross
Is your 9x using the stock firmware or have you flashed it to something else? I have a 9x with er9x firmware. If you have the same, I can email you the config file to load the model into your radio.

I have it set up so the 3 position switch controls Manual-Atti-GPS, and then I use a combination of the 2 left shoulder switches to switch between RTH, Auto hovering and waypoint flight. Works great.

If you are using the stock firmware, I am not sure if mixing is advanced enough to pull off the same configuration.
Iam on er9x can u upload ur model file....
Jun 11, 2012, 09:57 AM
Okay tried a different android version on my tablet and it works now
Jun 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
The wind was reasonable today so I took it out to test the GPS. In my garden. Recalibrated the compass (twice). One thing I noticed is that the circle is lovely and round and fit on top of each other, but it is not complete, both on the horizontal or vertical.

While I was waiting for the GPS to get to 7+ satellites I was watching the map and the hexa was moving around quite a bit, while it was on the ground. See pics below.

The actual position of the Hexa on the ground was on the left of the pool mid point. I should have made a mark there to show you guys.

The 1st few pics were taken as soon as I got 7 satellites and then the last was at 9

Anyway, once I got to 9 satellites, even though the position shown was north of where I was, I decided to give it a go.

Took off and what happens. As soon as I switched on the GPS mode, it started heading south. To stop it flying outside my property I had to switch back to manual mode. Tried this a few times and same results

Okay, I have never had great results in my garden with the 2 other systems I have used, but I have always blamed the systems The reason for the test in my garden was to not to have to lug a laptop around. My Android Tablet should be arriving within the next few days, I hope, so that will make it easier. Tomorrow I will rely just on the LED. Whoops, I will still have to recalibrate the compass so I will have to take my laptop with me, and the router.

I think I must have a big magnetic lode under my house or something.

One other thing I found is that flying in mode 2 is so unresponsive for my style of flying. I am just going to remove it from my system and switch from Manual mode 1 to GPS mode. In mode 2, once you take your finger off the stick it still carries on moving in that direction, no matter how much you correct it. But then I suppose each to his own. I was going to compare it to a few other systems, Not DJI (never had one) but I won't that way it saves having a long discussion about it. This way, I free up a 3 way switch.

Cheers
Rob

Edit: My GPS/Compass is on a pole and well away from the wifi module which is on the leg
Last edited by robone; Jun 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Clarification
Jun 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
I have another question, I got my new frame today and the way I wanted to mount everything is not going to work, so my question is can I mount the IMU sensor unit in front or side or back, there is not going to be a way for me to mount it center unfortunatly the control box and the IMU will have to be next to each other. I will not be able to mount on top of control box either. I am using the bumble bee frame with the cool toper that I am mounting lights on and it is alittle more low profile then I thought. so will it hurt to mount the IMU away from center as long as I keep the arrow pointed to the front?
Jun 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
Go Hawks!
all recommendations is to have the IMU dead center.
The manual also states to have the sides of the copter parallel to the IMU.
So with that, it needs to be center mounted

If this is the one you bought..you should have room for the IMU in the middle.
at the very least, mount the IMU on top of the FC box in the middle.

edit: just re read where you want to use the "cool Toper" to mount lights on.
Not sure what you can do if you really want to use the dome

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24713
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
See the whole reason I got the frame was for the top cover. I tried to fit the IMU inbetween the 2 plates but it is too tall. So it has to be dead center becuse I can get it to fit but it would be just a little bit off center.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins
See the whole reason I got the frame was for the top cover. I tried to fit the IMU inbetween the 2 plates but it is too tall. So it has to be dead center becuse I can get it to fit but it would be just a little bit off center.
yeah I just edited my post when I re read that you want to mount lights to the dome.

See if you can get the IMU as close to the center area as possible, but have the FC box hang off the back a little. You might have to cut the rear portion of the dome to allow the fc to be back there..

Not much else I can recommend. You can't mount the fc to the bottom since thats where your battery(s) will be.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
Go Hawks!
here's an idea..I'm looking at the frame closer.

mount the imu dead center.
have your lipo packs strapped to the bottom of the copter in the middle with the length of the pack going port/starboard.
Test fit the FC box to the bottom rear of the copter.
If things fit reasonably well, you could use that 3m rear view window sticky tape and a velcro battery strap to secure the fc box.

just an idea to see if it works out.
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Multirotor Builder!!!!!
I just measured the distance if I put the imu on top of the flight control. looks like all I am going to need to do is change the screws that hold the arms to a button head type and I will gain about 3mm which is all I really need to get the top to fit. that way I am not cutting anything more then I have to. . the frame is the easy part most of the time I just need to look at it and picture how it is going to go.
Jun 11, 2012, 12:27 PM
Go Hawks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins
I just measured the distance if I put the imu on top of the flight control. looks like all I am going to need to do is change the screws that hold the arms to a button head type and I will gain about 3mm which is all I really need to get the top to fit. that way I am not cutting anything more then I have to. . the frame is the easy part most of the time I just need to look at it and picture how it is going to go.
Cool. glad it will work out for you.
just try to make sure you can use some sort of soft mounting like sticky tape or double sided tape to give the IMU an extra measure of isolation...sure doesn't hurt, even though the internals of the IMU are quite isolated with soft foam
Jun 11, 2012, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robone
The wind was reasonable today so I took it out to test the GPS. In my garden. Recalibrated the compass (twice). One thing I noticed is that the circle is lovely and round and fit on top of each other, but it is not complete, both on the horizontal or vertical.

While I was waiting for the GPS to get to 7+ satellites I was watching the map and the hexa was moving around quite a bit, while it was on the ground. See pics below.

The actual position of the Hexa on the ground was on the left of the pool mid point. I should have made a mark there to show you guys.

The 1st few pics were taken as soon as I got 7 satellites and then the last was at 9

Anyway, once I got to 9 satellites, even though the position shown was north of where I was, I decided to give it a go.

Took off and what happens. As soon as I switched on the GPS mode, it started heading south. To stop it flying outside my property I had to switch back to manual mode. Tried this a few times and same results

Okay, I have never had great results in my garden with the 2 other systems I have used, but I have always blamed the systems The reason for the test in my garden was to not to have to lug a laptop around. My Android Tablet should be arriving within the next few days, I hope, so that will make it easier. Tomorrow I will rely just on the LED. Whoops, I will still have to recalibrate the compass so I will have to take my laptop with me, and the router.

I think I must have a big magnetic lode under my house or something.

One other thing I found is that flying in mode 2 is so unresponsive for my style of flying. I am just going to remove it from my system and switch from Manual mode 1 to GPS mode. In mode 2, once you take your finger off the stick it still carries on moving in that direction, no matter how much you correct it. But then I suppose each to his own. I was going to compare it to a few other systems, Not DJI (never had one) but I won't that way it saves having a long discussion about it. This way, I free up a 3 way switch.

Cheers
Rob

Edit: My GPS/Compass is on a pole and well away from the wifi module which is on the leg
One thing you may want to look at is, where are the power lines around your house. They cause major interference for your compass. For my house they are buried a few feet underground. They pass from a pole in the corner of my lot to my house and several other houses. My compasses have never worked well in my yard. Hell, I can't use a regular compass to calibrate my satellite dish because of this. Just something to think about.

- Jeff
Jun 11, 2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Geek
One thing you may want to look at is, where are the power lines around your house. They cause major interference for your compass. For my house they are buried a few feet underground. They pass from a pole in the corner of my lot to my house and several other houses. My compasses have never worked well in my yard. Hell, I can't use a regular compass to calibrate my satellite dish because of this. Just something to think about.

- Jeff
Hi Jeff...Thanks

I know where the cables are located and I don't think that could contribute to any magnetic problems. My concern is a bit wider than that. The whole area is underlain by Granite which may have an influence on magnetic fields. I am going to do some research on this. However, I am not sure what impact this has on the GPS location. I know google maps are out, but not that much.

Cheers
Rob
Jun 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
MultiRotor Jedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
tc3wins...
your serious vibration issues when first starting the motors.

I had the exact same effect using some horrible Aerobot 12x3.8cf props.
Shame about your props, why not send em back or write us an email so we can send you out a couple of sets?
You must of got a bad batch which happens...

Simon

Quick Reply