Jun 07, 2012, 07:56 AM
Novice in training
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmihalkov
Hi Josh

this cooling port is because of ESC.
I mounted the ESC inside.
In tail part of fuselage I made 2 little output ports for the out air
I think I miss lead u on the question. I meant what material did u use to make the cooling port. I have seen medicine bottles cut in half and spoons but nothing like urs. I like the look of that. Haven't got mine together yet so these mods are going to give me some ideas to go on.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2012, 08:32 AM
ancora imparo
It's not ideal since most plugs require some force to get in and out if they are to be capable of carrying the current. The PowerPole fans claim their solution is better but I don't use them.

FWIW, I don't use an arming switch in the power line at all any more. I have a kill switch on one plane that grounds the signal wire to the ESC and and with that particular ESC it will not arm under any circumstances.

I also have fitted a kill switch to two of my transmitters which when closed forces the throttle channel to LOW (1mS pulse width).

Many Tx allow you to set up a mix operated by a switch that will achieve the same result but this is my preferred solution since it is independent of Rx, ESC and model memory. And you can see it at a glance without any confusion as to which switch it is.

Details here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1640080

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmihalkov
Hi John

do you have new better solution
Jun 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal
Since I lost my dedicated Sky Surfer night flyer last weekend (don't ask...) I ordered another kit from Ready Made RC. Placed the order Sunday night and it got to my house today (Wednesday). It's the V1 kit and this time the decals are on a separate sheet (yay!). This will be my 4th Sky Surfer (have 2 that are flyable) that I've built. Now I'm just waiting on the LED lights, servos (Hobbypartz), and motor (inrunner from HeadsUpRC).
Hey, I just ordered a ARF and a fuselage from RMRC yesterday, myself. I added in a APC 6x4E pusher prop, but it is out of stock so they are holding up my whole order. I wrote and asked if they would send me the plane anyhow and I'll wait for the prop and pay extra shipping.

Speaking of night flying, I also ordered 2 lighting systems from a Hong Kong seller on eBay. It's a great price and lots of lights to bling up your plane. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Plane-Hel...88779363434629

If the auction is over, just search for "RC Plane Helicopter Simulated 8 LED lighting kit" by seller rchobby2011.
Jun 07, 2012, 06:17 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassb
Hey, I just ordered a ARF and a fuselage from RMRC yesterday, myself. I added in a APC 6x4E pusher prop, but it is out of stock so they are holding up my whole order. I wrote and asked if they would send me the plane anyhow and I'll wait for the prop and pay extra shipping.

Speaking of night flying, I also ordered 2 lighting systems from a Hong Kong seller on eBay. It's a great price and lots of lights to bling up your plane. Here's a link if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Plane-Hel...88779363434629

If the auction is over, just search for "RC Plane Helicopter Simulated 8 LED lighting kit" by seller rchobby2011.
You don't need to use a pusher prop. The normal APC 6x4 is the same thing only a mirror image. You just run the motor the other way.
Jun 07, 2012, 07:42 PM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
WOW, what a superb build and fine craftsmanship. I think your approach will get a link in the front of the thread. (Right AJ?)

Make sure you Check the CG because that's a lot of extra weight on the tail.
Definitely agree. Done.
AJ
Jun 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE
You don't need to use a pusher prop. The normal APC 6x4 is the same thing only a mirror image. You just run the motor the other way.
+1. The only advantage to using an "EP" is that the normal rotation of the prop (CCW when viewed from the back) has a tendency to tighten the retaining nut. Personally, I have never had a problem with using an "E" prop.
AJ
Jun 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
ICrashRCs
Your use of the word normal is confusing.
CCW from the rear is normal for a pusher prop.
Normal to all of us is CW from the rear with a regular prop.

I say this only to help the newer folks keep it straight.

Pusher props are a holdover from earlier days of gas engines.
They couldn't reverse rotation direction like we can today by just switching any 2wires.
Pusher props are almost never needed today except for special applications.

Hope that's a bit helpful (and accurate)?
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jun 07, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Jun 07, 2012, 09:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs
Your use of the word normal is confusing.
CCW from the rear is normal for a pusher prop.
Normal to all of us is CW from the rear with a regular prop.
Change "normal rotation of the prop" to " normal rotation of the EP prop". I think it was clear before. But, I hope that helps.
AJ
Jun 08, 2012, 03:12 AM
Thread OP

Pushers are still popular and useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs
Pusher props are almost never needed today except for special applications.

Hope that's a bit helpful (and accurate)?
Not exactly accurate. I would not call a twin engine/motor airplane a special application since there are so many kit, ARF, RTF, and scratch builds available.. A reverse pitch prop (aka pusher) is useful to cancel out any rotational torque when using two motors. Then, the normal ~1-3 degree (single) motor offset (tractor configuration) is no longer necessary compensate for torque. FWIW, Rudder control - When I fly a single motor plane with throttle on, and the plane is inverted, right it still right and left is still left. With a twin motor airplane, with one of the motors having a pusher prop - right is left and left is right. Interesting stuff.
AJ
P.S. Since this came up, I have a question for anyone who knows - Which engine is usually designated for the pusher prop?
P.S.S. Since I am off topic on these last few posts, I will not post anymore on the subject. It is unlikely that anyone is interested anyhow.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 08, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Add pic
Jun 08, 2012, 07:24 AM
Hello All,

I know that we already talked about this, but I don't find were.
By my calculations, my Bixler is a big FAT lady, the total with everything for FPV is 4,40 Lbs.
Is there anyone in here with something similar?

Geotete
Jun 08, 2012, 07:30 AM
ancora imparo
Anyone else get message from HK announcing the Bixler 2?

It appears to be be on Twitter but I aint.
Jun 08, 2012, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Not exactly accurate. I would not call a twin engine/motor airplane a special application since there are so many kit, ARF, RTF, and scratch builds available.. A reverse pitch prop (aka pusher) is useful to cancel out any rotational torque when using two motors. Then, the normal ~1-3 degree (single) motor offset (tractor configuration) is no longer necessary compensate for torque. FWIW, Rudder control - When I fly a single motor plane with throttle on, and the plane is inverted, right it still right and left is still left. With a twin motor airplane, with one of the motors having a pusher prop - right is left and left is right. Interesting stuff.
AJ
P.S. Since this came up, I have a question for anyone who knows - Which engine is usually designated for the pusher prop?
P.S.S. Since I am off topic on these last few posts, I will not post anymore on the subject. It is unlikely that anyone is interested anyhow.
Since I would like to know the answer to your P.S. question I will hazard a guess that a gas or nitro engine use pusher props. What is the answer AJ?
Jun 08, 2012, 08:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete
Hello All,

I know that we already talked about this, but I don't find were.
By my calculations, my Bixler is a big FAT lady, the total with everything for FPV is 4,40 Lbs.
Is there anyone in here with something similar?

Geotete
And it FLIES??? Video please.
AJ
Jun 08, 2012, 08:17 AM
Thread OP

rephrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
Since I would like to know the answer to your P.S. question I will hazard a guess that a gas or nitro engine use pusher props. What is the answer AJ?
Part One - I apologize. I did not mean to mislead you. It is NOT a loaded question (that would be unfair and rude IMO). I just asked to see if anyone knew the answer because I don't.
Part deux - To clarify- I am looking for a port or starboard motor as an answer.
AJ
Jun 08, 2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
And it FLIES??? Video please.
AJ
Still in the bench, so that's why I was asking.

Geotete

Quick Reply