May 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
I forgot how much I love my clouds I hadnt flown it for around a week as I have been busy/flying/building new planes. Took it up at work this morning in around 15mph winds and its still just a great flying airplane. My fpv setup is on its way and this is going to be my first real fpv platform. Cant wait!!
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
More info on the wide lens mod please
you mean this? lens can be bought from numbers of source in the Internet
May 29, 2012, 07:58 PM

glue type ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaldust View Post
search for 0.67X Wide Angle Macro Lens on ebay and just glue it on, works great
GLUE ? what type ?? ..............te
May 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
you mean this? lens can be bought from numbers of source in the Internet
Those seem nice..

i readed about the typical 0.67 "jelly bean" lens and not good reviews about them.. the ones you post seem different.. any info on them?
May 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
9W2DLR
I bought the lens for a local mobile phone shop, but it should be the same as this one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...l-phones-14953

It come with metal ring the lens it self attached using magnet, so I just use 5 min epoxy to fix the metal ring onto the keychain and it done, this guy make a good video how to put the wide angle lens on 808 keychain

808 Key Chain Cam - How fit a wide angle lense plus lense comparison video #11 #16 #3 etc. (8 min 59 sec)

I'll post a sample video later, As I only got it installed yesterday

Update:

Sample video

808 #18 Keychain camera with Wide angle lens (0 min 17 sec)
Last edited by skellator; May 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
May 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
Finished my Clouds Fly a few weeks ago, bought mainly as a test platform for FPV. The maiden flight was interesting, I had never done a right-hand hand launch before – I always use my left hand with right hand on the right stick and the Tx on a neck strap. I hand launched her fairly upward at about 50% throttle as advised, but she just pitched down to the grass, but then continued to accelerate and took off without any problem!. Apart from an initial lack of aileron throw the rest of the maiden was uneventful (but fun!) and I have continued to take off from the grass ever since.

I made a few mods to my AXN. First I covered all of the underside of the fuse with white covering film, this may explain the easy ground take off, and covered the bottom of the wings with red wing tips and clear tape. I attached a mechanical latch to the cockpit (available from Hobbyking) since even with an extra strong magnet fitted the hatch flew off after a few seconds and I didn’t think a rubber band was in keeping with the elegance of the AXN.

My first video flight was made with a #11 HD keychain camera attached to the nose of the plane using foam and rubber bands and (most important) a string attached tightly to the battery leads to stop the camera sliding off the front. The video was very good but I need to practise very smooth flying (and in no wind at all) before I will post anything and will buy this 0.67x W/A lens from eBay ($6 delivered) which comes with two magnetic rings so I can easily mount or detach it.

The motor sound is a bit irritating, but when the plane is gliding very silent. Aerial video sound is not that interesting anyway and is probably better replaced by music!

When I get the FPV gear going (with a much better camera), I will mount it on a backpack attached inside the cockpit as for the dummy plywood piece in one of the photos.

A great plane, both in its own right and as a video platform.
May 30, 2012, 05:54 AM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Finished my Clouds Fly a few weeks ago, bought mainly as a test platform for FPV. The maiden flight was interesting, I had never done a right-hand hand launch before – I always use my left hand with right hand on the right stick and the Tx on a neck strap. I hand launched her fairly upward at about 50% throttle as advised, but she just pitched down to the grass, but then continued to accelerate and took off without any problem!. Apart from an initial lack of aileron throw the rest of the maiden was uneventful (but fun!) and I have continued to take off from the grass ever since.

I made a few mods to my AXN. First I covered all of the underside of the fuse with white covering film, this may explain the easy ground take off, and covered the bottom of the wings with red wing tips and clear tape. I attached a mechanical latch to the cockpit (available from Hobbyking) since even with an extra strong magnet fitted the hatch flew off after a few seconds and I didn’t think a rubber band was in keeping with the elegance of the AXN.

My first video flight was made with a #11 HD keychain camera attached to the nose of the plane using foam and rubber bands and (most important) a string attached tightly to the battery leads to stop the camera sliding off the front. The video was very good but I need to practise very smooth flying (and in no wind at all) before I will post anything and will buy this 0.67x W/A lens from eBay ($6 delivered) which comes with two magnetic rings so I can easily mount or detach it.

The motor sound is a bit irritating, but when the plane is gliding very silent. Aerial video sound is not that interesting anyway and is probably better replaced by music!

When I get the FPV gear going (with a much better camera), I will mount it on a backpack attached inside the cockpit as for the dummy plywood piece in one of the photos.

A great plane, both in its own right and as a video platform.
later on your might look like mine lol it survive many-many crashed and still flying, canopy literally smash into pieces im using coke bottle canopy right now and a lot of fiber tape on the nose
May 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Argue for your limitations

Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Nice mods. I WILL do the canopy mod. I have 4 of those latches in stock.
AJ
May 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Argue for your limitations

The skills to keep repairing

Quote:
later on your might look like mine lol it survive many-many crashed and still flying, canopy literally smash into pieces im using coke bottle canopy right now and a lot of fiber tape on the nose
Yipes!! I have thrown away planes that look better than that. Congratulations on hanging in for so long. Well done.
AJ
May 30, 2012, 12:01 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yipes!! I have thrown away planes that look better than that. Congratulations on hanging in for so long. Well done.
AJ
I'm cheapskate if it can still fly I will fly it until it die , Only the nose are a bit ugly but that the only thing, maybe I put to much fiber tape ,the CF will be forgotten if I manage to complete the Zagi in the background , but I have a plan for FPV either I get a new one and donate this CF to anyone on my flying site for training, we'll see time will tell still it my first ever plane! it have a sentimental value
May 30, 2012, 01:44 PM
Mine does looks quite beaten too but its still flying good .. quite good.. is still the best all rounder in terms of speed, climbing, gliding and easyness to fly..

Its not the fastes, not the more floaty, not the more climby ,but its soo good in all those that combined makes a really good overall plane..

Its the plane i throw in the trunk of the car if i go somewhere and i think i can do some flying there
May 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
ESC question (I think) ....I just replaced the ESC on my AXN (and another) and the throttle has to be trimmed down, way down for the motor to stop spinning.

If I trim up to neutral, its like 1/4 throttle even though the stick is off. How do you go about re-calibrating this??? Anybody seen this before?
May 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sounds like you just need to do an initial calibration of the ESC. Did it come with instructions? Make sure you reset all trims before you do this.
May 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
9W2DLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
ESC question (I think) ....I just replaced the ESC on my AXN (and another) and the throttle has to be trimmed down, way down for the motor to stop spinning.

If I trim up to neutral, its like 1/4 throttle even though the stick is off. How do you go about re-calibrating this??? Anybody seen this before?
you need set your throttle range for the ESC, it mandatory every time ESC/RX change
May 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
Quote:
you need set your throttle range for the ESC, it mandatory every time ESC/RX change
Err...how is that done exactly

Quick Reply