May 28, 2012, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Ebay 320amp brushed esc and car starter

Hey,
I put this to aircrafts because i think you aircraft guys use the most powerful escs, might be wrong too.
I found a 320amp esc for brushed motors on ebay, here is a link:
Link to ebay
Actually there are few different 320 amp rated escs.
But could it really handle as much as 320 amps, that is the question, for 30 dollars, I personally don't think so. But what do you think/know?
Other question is can I drive a car starter motor with it? Is the speed control system capable of controlling a starter type motor? How much output voltage, is it same as the input?

If the starter draws roughly 200 amps at startup (2 kW starter, 2000 W / 12 v = 166 amps), it actually doesn't have to handle 320 amps. I know starter draws good amount of amps when rpm=0, but if it is rated at 2kW?
Let me know what do you think.

And btw,
I really don't need answer ''starter won't last'', I know and i don't care

Thanks for your help!
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
Senile Member
The Ebay listing states that the ESC is for a car 540 motor. Those pull 30 to 40 amps at the most. IMHO, if you put 320 amps through that ESC the printed circuit board copper traces would instantly vaporize.

Larry
May 28, 2012, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Damn,
Any other suggestions, I would like to control a car starter with ESC. I read somewhere that someone had put heavy-duty FETs in series and it worked. Any open source plans for high amp ESC?
May 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
Senile Member
That would be heavy-duty FETs in parallel to increase current capacity. You might try searching for speed controlers for marine trolling motors. Good luck.

Larry
May 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Those RC car ESCs are rated a little funny and tend to work under different application-specific rules than planes. It's not uncommon to see ratings in the hundreds of amps because there will be moments when huge amounts of throttle are applied and the motor isn't able to follow, resulting in very brief spikes of truly massive current.

Running 320A through it for any significant length of time would fry the ESC pretty fast. The continuous capability of the one on eBay is probably in the range of 60A or so.

I know you can get some seriously big brushed ESCs (several hundred amps), but they do cost a lot. They're German-made and I can't for the life of me remember the name.
Latest blog entry: Park pattern/pylon perfection!
May 29, 2012, 06:08 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
All controllers are also available without water-cooling, 6s to 24s LiPo, 100/200/300/400A
http://fightercatracing.com/index.ph...com_virtuemart

@C4H10
www.$inu$leis$tung$$teller.de , sinusoidal commutation not trapezoid

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
diy motor tipsDrive Calculator
diy motor groupCumulus MFC
• Get a life ... get a 3$ Wattmeter
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; May 29, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Aug 20, 2012, 06:28 AM
Do you know someone who mosfets on pcb?

schematics?
Aug 20, 2012, 11:31 AM
Dieselized User
Ron we need a brush ESC here.

The rating of the ESC will depend on the load placed on the motor. If the load is small it's possible a 50A ESC will do. If the load is large, you may need a 200A ESC or larger.

http://kellycontroller.com/kdz242001...spm-p-939.html

Greg
Jan 07, 2017, 02:25 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel
The Ebay listing states that the ESC is for a car 540 motor. Those pull 30 to 40 amps at the most. IMHO, if you put 320 amps through that ESC the printed circuit board copper traces would instantly vaporize.

Larry
I raced rc cars on-road for 2 decades. 6 cell ni-cad/esc/and stock motor (brushed) with no load, not even a pinion would pull over 100 amps peak if you nail the thro from a standstill, verified with current probe and scope. When running stock motor class, 100A coming out of the corner was normal. More than likely, the 320 amps is a peak pulsed current rating with FETs kept cool. As been said, its probably ~60A continuous, pretty good deal for $12 shipped now on BG and ebay.

Quick Reply