May 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas b
the 9 channel rx to be supplied with the dx18 makes perfect sense to me.

The average customer will very rarely, if ever, use this tx with a model needing more han 9 channels. The average customer will buy this radio for many reasons related to the features of the radiom and the large number of channels is only one of the many features.

Supplying the 9 channel rx helps the radio achive a lower suggested retail and street price and is not an odd choice at all. I am perfectly willing to buy a 12 channel rx and the expansion device when i need one for a particular model.
+1 I was gonna say almost the same thing!!
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete
A lot of what Spektrum does can be defined as "Odd".

VP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
The 9 channel RX to be supplied with the DX18 makes perfect sense to me.

The average customer will very rarely, if ever, use this TX with a model needing more han 9 channels. The average customer will buy this radio for many reasons related to the features of the radiom and the large number of channels is only one of the many features.

Supplying the 9 channel RX helps the radio achive a lower suggested retail and street price and is not an odd choice at all. I am perfectly willing to buy a 12 channel RX and the expansion device when I need one for a particular model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird
My perspective:

No radio manufacturer is really trying to do you a favor when they package a TX with a RX or servos. They are putting a RX that costs them $20 to make into the box, and hoping that you value it at the retail price of $150 and thus feel that $800 is a good price for the package. Put another way, if they took it out, the price certainly wouldn't drop by $150.

So it really comes down to what most people will want. 9ch receivers are a sweet spot - small enough to fit in a big sailplane, and enough channels for most of what people fly. It is sort of too bad that you can't pick your RX, but obviously that would add more cost than it's worth.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvinvegas
+1 I was gonna say almost the same thing!!
Okay, so this example isnt really "Odd".

VP
May 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird
So it really comes down to what most people will want. 9ch receivers are a sweet spot - small enough to fit in a big sailplane, and enough channels for most of what people fly. It is sort of too bad that you can't pick your RX, but obviously that would add more cost than it's worth.
I tend to buy from retailers who un-bundle these packages and sell the tx on its own.

The more HH put in the box the cheaper the tx gets from my point of view

I won't be in the queue for a DX18 though.
May 13, 2012, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin

I won't be in the queue for a DX18 though.
Is this because of a bad experience with the DX8 hardware quality?
May 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
Detail Freak
I hope that switching model memories is quicker and easier than on the 11x....

Does anyone know??

R,
Target

Anyone know what is involved to swich from one model to another? The 11x is somewhat painful, especially considering that you can switch between the first three models with one button being held down at powerup on the Airtronics SD10G.....

R,
Target
Last edited by target; May 13, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
May 13, 2012, 08:14 PM
sorry to intrup guys nowday who want the rx (for heli) when spektrum come with AR7200bx i think this combine will be great DX18 + AR7200bx...

cheers
May 14, 2012, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by target

Anyone know what is involved to swich from one model to another? The 11x is somewhat painful, especially considering that you can switch between the first three models with one button being held down at powerup on the Airtronics SD10G.....

R,
Target
I have an 11x and I would not call switching models "painful". The only thing I dont like about it is having the TX ask about turning off the RF while doing it, and if you say "no" then you are back at the system menu and have to try again.

Having easy access to only 3 models is kind of useless to me, since the model I want to pick would hardly ever be in those 3.

I assume that you know that holding down the roller at power up gets you right into the system menu, one item away from the model select item.

Bob
May 14, 2012, 03:11 AM
I assume the DX18 will have the same model switching scheme as the DX10t.
Pressing the roller while powering up or using the clear&back to get Direct Model Access.Same as DX8 and 7s.
Pretty simple.
May 14, 2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn1
Is this because of a bad experience with the DX8 hardware quality?
Not directly no, although I would say that Spektrum have more to prove in terms of build quality as they move up to compete against more sophisticated radios with the DX18.

I use my DX8 for all my BnF models and they are not likely to ever need a DX18 and for my larger models I already use a Futaba 8FG which provides the flexibility and channels the DX8 lacked.

Since I've not yet come up against a problem I couldn't solve with the 8FG and its 12+2 channels, I personally don't have a need for a DX18
May 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky
I have an 11x and I would not call switching models "painful". The only thing I dont like about it is having the TX ask about turning off the RF while doing it, and if you say "no" then you are back at the system menu and have to try again.

Having easy access to only 3 models is kind of useless to me, since the model I want to pick would hardly ever be in those 3.

I assume that you know that holding down the roller at power up gets you right into the system menu, one item away from the model select item.

Bob
Thanks Bob.
No, I didn't know that, and yes, its the TX asking if I want to shut down the RF, and the default being "no" that I find painful.

Apparently, on the Airtronics radio, you can just hold down a 1, 2, or 3 button on power up, and it selects 1, 2, or 3 model.
I guess that you can also move the models as needed in the list to allow you to have the most popular three at the time in 1, 2, and 3 spots.

This is useful to me. I am a sailplane pilot and often bring (you guessed it) 3 planes to the field to fly for the day.
The 11X is a great radio for me, mix-wise.
Its that one issue that I find tiresome.

R,
Target
May 14, 2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:

Does anyone know??
I don't know about the 11X, but on the DX7s, DX8, DX10t, and DX18 all you do is press CLEAR and BACK at the same time from the main screen, select the new model, and click OK.

Andy
May 14, 2012, 09:29 AM
Detail Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I don't know about the 11X, but on the DX7s, DX8, DX10t, and DX18 all you do is press CLEAR and BACK at the same time from the main screen, select the new model, and click OK.

Andy
Thanks, Andy-

I will certainly try that shortcut (on the 11X, and if it works, report back) when I get back to my Tx.

R,
Target
Last edited by target; May 14, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
May 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
If it doesn't work, something is broken! It's been in these radios since before version 1.0!

Andy
May 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Quote:

Does anyone know??

R,
Target

R,
Target
I held a dx18 @ Weak Signals and it seemed easy enough to switch models. You could do it on power-up like they are now, or in a menu after its powered on.

Has anyone compared the DX18 to a JR 9503? I'd be interested to see some pros/cons between them.
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
May 14, 2012, 10:11 AM
simply put -The DX18 is a LOT more simple
The 9503 has engaged switches which have to be inhibited -basically it is awkward to program.

Quick Reply