Nothing to see here...
Hello

I had to get one of these. I just finished it. I call it "Luck of the Irish"
It's all ready to toss!!!

Rubio
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
So cool! The Citabria I learned how to fly in had shamrocks on the tail, great plane! Has forever made me partial to shamrocks on airplanes

Steve
Apr 25, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hit me with your rhythm stick
Tailldragger....cool. I learned in a clapped out Cessna 152 who's only redeeming feature was it was cheap to rent! Do you still fly full-size? I quit when I quit my "real" job....too expensive for a dirtbag to pursue
Apr 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
Tailldragger....cool. I learned in a clapped out Cessna 152 who's only redeeming feature was it was cheap to rent! Do you still fly full-size? I quit when I quit my "real" job....too expensive for a dirtbag to pursue
Ditto.. I love flying, but to do it properly (where you're flying at least once per week) takes a level of commitment I'm not ready to step up to in terms of time and money. Maybe someday.. in the meantime, I really enjoy my models and find them quite fulfilling.

Steve
Apr 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
Southwest VA, USA
I noticed in the DreamFlight website, the weasel requires 15.6-gram metal gear servos.

Why these heavy servos? I thought you would want the weasel to be light as possible to be able to float or fly on the slopes.

Can I use 9-gram metal gear servos on it?

Thanks.
Apr 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Dirt a.k.a. Tom
These guys know what they're talking about, I'd suggest you might want to stick with the recommendations. You may not have much slope lift around you but, if you do, you'll want that extra strength. Take a look at some of the videos you'll find on youtube and other sources.
Apr 29, 2012, 02:28 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
So the Weasel Evolution has just celebrated what I think is it's third birthday. Three years ago, 9g metal servos weren't that prevalent (or were pretty pricy). My thinking is that the pockets for the servos were sized for more common servos in use at that time. I wouldn't hesitate to use 9g, if that's what you want.

Though the weight savings of 12g total won't be that noticeable.

Just my $0.02

-= Dave
Apr 29, 2012, 03:48 PM

"use search"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0leur View Post
I noticed in the DreamFlight website, the weasel requires 15.6-gram metal gear servos.

Why these heavy servos? I thought you would want the weasel to be light as possible to be able to float or fly on the slopes.

Thanks.
Take a look at post 1610
Apr 29, 2012, 05:05 PM
Southwest VA, USA
Now I see why the 9-gram servos are not recommended. CG issues would result. The weasel was design with the original servo weights taken into consideration.

I will use the recommended metal gear servos so I will not miss the fun you guys are having.

Appreciate all your responses.
Apr 30, 2012, 07:02 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0leur View Post
You can use whatever you want, of course!

But that said, the Weasel appeals to a really wide range of pilots, from rank beginners to very experienced experts. Michael has to be a little conservative in his recommendations; he has to be sensitive to price points, durability, availability, etc. against a background in which some people want to fly these with absolute light lift performance, while others want to DS them and set speed records. A bunch of people just want a reliable "don't gotta think about it" go-to plane.

So: if you're willing to risk the chance of more stripped gears and are not necessarily trying to set speed records, why not?

You can simply re-locate the servos further forward if you are concerned about CG issues.

Steve
Apr 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
You can use whatever you want, of course!

But that said, the Weasel appeals to a really wide range of pilots, from rank beginners to very experienced experts. Michael has to be a little conservative in his recommendations; he has to be sensitive to price points, durability, availability, etc. against a background in which some people want to fly these with absolute light lift performance, while others want to DS them and set speed records. A bunch of people just want a reliable "don't gotta think about it" go-to plane.

So: if you're willing to risk the chance of more stripped gears and are not necessarily trying to set speed records, why not?

You can simply re-locate the servos further forward if you are concerned about CG issues.

Steve
+1. I was waiting for you to answer that Steve. Well said!! My Weasel has passed two other hands and has been painted and repaired a few times and still flies in fairly light lift. If lift is to light I fly my beat up Alula. The perfect combo.
May 01, 2012, 12:00 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Yeah if you've got a Weasel and an Alula, you're good for most typical slope conditions from 0-30 (especially if you've got ballast for the Weasel).

I went to Spain last year and finally got to fly La Muela... just turned out to be about 25mph. No ballast? Well, better not screw up!

Steve
May 01, 2012, 12:56 AM
Stirring the pot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Beagle View Post
mods....
...I went with a simple color scheme.......we'll see how this African Pied Crow will fly

EDIT: to achieve the correct CG location of 4.13 / 4.25, I added 3/4oz to the nose. Maiden flight went real well, gonna have fun with this one...final AUW 10 oz
And here it is!.........

Weaseling: The Black Crow! (3 min 29 sec)
May 01, 2012, 03:38 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
thanks for the video J,

maybe the exact maiden flight wasnt pretty, I got blown back a bit on that first toss...

but the flights an hour later, when the sun was setting, was really sweet
May 01, 2012, 06:23 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Looks great, FB! I was thinking that the little bit of white wouldn't be enough to tell up from down, but that white really flashes at you!

-= Dave

Quick Reply