Mar 06, 2012, 02:48 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
An hour on 8ah? Starting to wonder what all the hype is about. I get an hour and ten mins outta the 1300mah cell on my reven epp wing. Charges up in no time. 8ah would take a silly amount of time to charge :P.

CJ
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2012, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer
Get lower!!! Thread the needle next time, between your car and the barn. This is FPV right? Awesome Vid and loved the music!
both....FPV and LoS
Mar 06, 2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023
An hour on 8ah? Starting to wonder what all the hype is about. I get an hour and ten mins outta the 1300mah cell on my reven epp wing. Charges up in no time. 8ah would take a silly amount of time to charge :P.

CJ
Your Reven EPP wing will fly for an hour with a GoPro, plus a flight camera on a pan servo,
and fully loaded with FPV gear on 1300mAh? Impressive. Got video?

My 4Ah Hyperions take 30 minutes to charge on my charger at 8A, and are spec'd and proven at 5C charge rate.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Mar 06, 2012 at 04:08 AM.
Mar 06, 2012, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Threw an ezOSD on my X8 and did some test FPV piloted flights. Unfortunately I lost the last vid, due to
shutting the Tx off before the recorder (didn't like sustained static), but the gist of it was this.
Current power setup 3S batt 1110kv motor 12x8.5 prop. Sources of drag include GoPro embedded
in the nose, flight cam on pan servo sticking up off the top of the fuse, half my UHF antenna sticking outside
vertically inside a straw, a cloverleaf video antenna outside the fuse, and a not totally smooth canopy.
Min sink level flight speed is about 31mph at 8A
35mph requires about 10A
45mph takes 17-20A.
Maxes out in level flight somewhere around 70mph at 65A.

ian
Thanks for this data Ian - very helpful. Just a couple of questions, what was your all up weight for this test flight and what capacity of batteries were you flying with (at this AUW) here also?
Mar 06, 2012, 04:12 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
Quote:
Your Reven EPP wing will fly for an hour with a GoPro, and a flight camera on a pan servo
and fully loaded with FPV gear on 1300mAh? Impressive. Got video?

My 4Ah Hyperions take 30 minutes to charge on my charger at 8A, and are spec'd and proven at 5C charge rate.

ian
It won't take a go pro but it has my FPV gear comfortably, my easy star 2'll take the go pro and everything for an hour. Im not trying to downtread the X8, I just think that filling it with batteries might not be the best use of its payload. You can put a cam and Tx on any airframe really. Ive got a 5.8Ghz mini Tx&Cam unit built into my 85 gram heli. Perhaps a DSLR cam or 3D go pro setup is more suited to this big birds heavy lift cababilitys. I'm surprised that you can only get an hours flight with this bird at max payload. id have thought with the right setup you could get two hours (but what would you do up there for two hours :P). Just a thought.

CJ
Mar 06, 2012, 06:47 AM
Foam Snow
Quote:
Every part of the fuse rotates exactly the same as every other part of the fuse at the same time, near the CG or not.

ian
Being on the edge of a see-saw is quite different to being on the axis.

The further away the AP is from the center, the more amplified the physical travel is in tilt and yaw. It might become bias.

Ideally, I think the axis should run through the AP.
Mar 06, 2012, 06:59 AM
Foam Snow
Quote:
I should be able to load up with 8Ah (couple 4Ah batts) and fly for 1 hour, covering a total of about 30 miles.

ian
Ian, would you say there's merit in loading more batteries? Earlier in this thread someone loaded 20Ah. Would that be well beyond the point of diminished returns?

What was your AUW?
Mar 06, 2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Min sink level flight speed is about 31mph at 8A

Meh, I think I can match that with my skywalker. 6Amps are so for level flight with a 4 cell. Something like high 28-30 for speed.
Mar 06, 2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA
Meh, I think I can match that with my skywalker. 6Amps are so for level flight with a 4 cell. Something like high 28-30 for speed.
Firstly, you can't compare 4S current directly to 3S current.
Your 6 and my 8 would be roughly equiv. Also, min sink airspeed of the SW is closer to 25-26mph rather than 30.
Drag goes up by square of airspeed, so it'll cost more as it goes faster.
Low end they're going to be close. What's it take for the SW to cruise at 35mph, or 45mph?

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Mar 06, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Mar 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Your 6 and my 8 would be roughly equiv. Also, min sink airspeed of the SW is closer to 25-26 rather than 30.
Low end they're going to be close. What's it take for the SW to cruise at 35mph, or 45mph?

ian
Yup, the drag increases as a square of the airspeed. The power required increases by a cube!
Mar 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson
Yup, the drag increases as a square of the airspeed. The power required increases by a cube!
...and that is probably a good thing. I probably would not have survived my teenaged years due to my love of fast cars if it were not the case.
Mar 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Just a bored guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTvxl
...and that is probably a good thing. I probably would not have survived my teenaged years due to my love of fast cars if it were not the case.
I'm still in those years. Fortunately/Unfortunatley, I don't have a car right now, first year of college.
Mar 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
ToucanWings.fr
Did anyone install airbrakes ? Might help to reduce the landing distance..
Mar 06, 2012, 02:01 PM
Just a bored guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucioleMC30
Did anyone install airbrakes ? Might help to reduce the landing distance..
How would you go about installing air brakes? The only non destructive method would probably be split surfaces and would require cutting the elevon in half and adding another servo per side.
Mar 06, 2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Your 6 and my 8 would be roughly equiv. Also, min sink airspeed of the SW is closer to 25-26mph rather than 30.

ian

Yeah.

8A * 11.1V = 88.8W
6A * 14.8 = 88.8W

Quick Reply