Mar 03, 2012, 12:28 AM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
This mornings motor test results for the 30mm EDF HyperfFlow Fan unit are:
The Turnigy 1015 motor will produce up to 55g of thrust and draw 4.7A on a 2S.

The GPM 10-15 motor will produce 65g of thrust and draw 3.7A on a 2S.
The Ammo 10mm inrunner is a brilliant motor and I would rate it as THE go to motor for our micro fans!

I'll be using one in my upcoming 20mm EDF model...
On my testing of the GP setup on 2s was right at 60g of thrust and 4.7A
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
CV-15 VB-16
Quote:
Now for some bad news.....

I flew the Sabre down at our field this morning - zero wind, no clouds... what a day! It flew great! I looped and rolled and buzzed the flight line and greased the landing at the end right at my feet. A spectacular demonstration of the jet, if I don't say so myself...

My trusted flying buddy, Ozzi was there and itching to join the fun as he loves the Micro jets as well. You can already see where this is going but....

I launched for him and what a non event. It took off true and straight out into the field. He felt the controls, noticed my expo and how it made it so easy to fly and flew a few laps, soaking up the fun. He was impressed. I decided to grab the camera and take some shots of him at the controls. I turned and leant into my van, grabbed the camera and heard a pretty hard "Thud!".. followed by an "oh no...!" plus some expletives of course.

I could see the sabre had taken on a strange new shape and did not look happy. I joined Ozzi on the walk of shame and it wasn't pretty.....

Next, I'll be covering how to repair a dorked in Sabre after ya buddy's totalled it trying to fly inverted (apparently, my video made it look easy, I was told)...... MUTCAKE - pay attention....
Merely flesh wound, D.
Mar 03, 2012, 12:40 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Now, I have to go for a drive back to the field... missing one of the aileron pushrods and horns...
Here comes that "needle in a haystack feeling...."

brushless55, which ESC did you use and with what settings? I checked all results 3 times to make sure I got consistent results.
Mar 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Now, I have to go for a drive back to the field... missing one of the aileron pushrods and horns...
Here comes that "needle in a haystack feeling...."

brushless55, which ESC did you use and with what settings? I checked all results 3 times to make sure I got consistent results.
I'm using the stock esc bro..
I'm going to do some 3s testing I hope this weekend on it..
Mar 03, 2012, 01:50 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
So you tested the thrust while the fan was in the model?
Mar 03, 2012, 03:19 AM
Crikey! on your sabre nitro. I was paying attention oz wasn't. Man bad news, but not all bad. Now you can have some real fun with the guts. That 65 gms was better than I expected for this fan. Not bad numbers at all. I still have mine in the box, holding on to it for now until parts arive in the mail (soon?) I was gonna fly the wings off this plane till only the guts were left to build from. Looks like you beat me to it.
Mar 03, 2012, 05:12 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Say whaaaaa....?

She's already back together and ready to fly tomorrow if the weathers nice enough!
Mar 03, 2012, 05:16 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
Relief is an understatement....phew!
Mar 03, 2012, 08:47 AM
Just some guy
Nice repair job! Now it looks like mine! Big story on the two motors is the difference in temp. Someone ought to measure that after say a , 20 minute run (if they can) :-)
Mar 03, 2012, 10:13 AM
The building never ends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Johnson
Nice repair job! Now it looks like mine! Big story on the two motors is the difference in temp. Someone ought to measure that after say a , 20 minute run (if they can) :-)
It goes back together really easily, since it breaks so cleanly. Don't ask me how I know.

And I love the fan setup. It's possible to fly the Sabre back to back to back and the motor stays cool. I've only used the "other" motor in 1S gearboxes, where it works okay. I ought to pick up a couple of these new Ammo inrunners to see how they perform in that capacity, but that's off-topic.

Back to waiting on my battery packs to charge . . .
Mar 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
So you tested the thrust while the fan was in the model?
Yes sir.
I made notes somewhere of actual thrust on the stock 200mah and my 230 packs
Mar 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Inciting Riots
So we have around 60 grams static thrust out of a power plant that weighs in somewhere around 10 grams, is this correct?

Just thinking of the kind of overhead an A-10 or other twin could have while still maintaining unlimited vertical. Might make some really neat thrust vectored planes too.
Mar 03, 2012, 11:20 AM
I ordered 2 of the little ammo motors! I'm excited!
Mar 03, 2012, 11:43 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot
So we have around 60 grams static thrust out of a power plant that weighs in somewhere around 10 grams, is this correct?

Just thinking of the kind of overhead an A-10 or other twin could have while still maintaining unlimited vertical. Might make some really neat thrust vectored planes too.
Really want to see more videos, because I trust Nitro and Brushless numbers (mesuring thrust is rather easy), but on the very rare videos so far, on take-off (or handlaunch), it does look like there's way more than 60gr! At 60gr, that's slightly less than 1:1 thrust ratio, yet, that thing take-off like a crazy bat in hell, gaining full speed very quickly. Until we finally get some videos, what's the shortest distance do you need for take off?
Mar 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Wow amazing repair job Nitro! What was your friend doing that caused the accident? I'll admit I was relieved to read it wasn't you at the sticks after seeing your recent onboard flight video, nice btw. I figure if it could happen to you, it could happen to me.

Quick Reply