Feb 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
Oh Yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
Well, it was not so hard. One C clip, then pull the core out. One more beautiful thing about brushless motors. To push the bearings out, I used a small diameter rod from the opposite end and pushed on the inner race.

It's tough to photograph those little bearings!

However, the bearings "feel" fine. But who's to say at 35k rpm.

Like I mentioned, I had the fan balanced pretty well on the bench, then the next run it had a vibration, a bit worse than before I started balancing. I checked everything was tight. So my only suspect is the bearings.

If these motors work out, I have no problem replacing the bearings. This was simple.

However, how do you identify / measure bearings and where to buy good replacements at a reasonable price, considering this is a sub $13 motor?
Derek,

If you have a digital caliper you just measure the width and diameter of those bearings. Since it's a 4mm shaft the I.D. is already known. I'd be interested to know those measuerments if you ever measured them.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 29, 2012, 06:31 PM

okay here are the numbers for the cs10 blade fan

So i bought a pair of hobbypartz. edf specials. They had motor/fan/ esc with 4 servos for 70mm edf jet for $47 bucks. The motor is 3000kv Detrum brand.
On 4s with the cs10blade fan its about 60amps forgot the watts. ON 5s using gen ace 3800mah 25c pack it put 99amps down and over 1700watts. My speed control is rated at 60amps with im sure 70amp burst, So did not hold the throttle too much just few seconds. It sounds really nice and crazy amount of power. I think on 4s its a safe set up with the motor and esc I have, I really liked the way it sounded and pulled on 5s though but im sure its going to blow up eventually. Anyone have a opinion on rated esc?? THis one says 60amp but I ran it and pulled 99amps, Im sure its not a good idea.
Feb 29, 2012, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlockshah
So i bought a pair of hobbypartz. edf specials. They had motor/fan/ esc with 4 servos for 70mm edf jet for $47 bucks. The motor is 3000kv Detrum brand.
On 4s with the cs10blade fan its about 60amps forgot the watts. ON 5s using gen ace 3800mah 25c pack it put 99amps down and over 1700watts. My speed control is rated at 60amps with im sure 70amp burst, So did not hold the throttle too much just few seconds. It sounds really nice and crazy amount of power. I think on 4s its a safe set up with the motor and esc I have, I really liked the way it sounded and pulled on 5s though but im sure its going to blow up eventually. Anyone have a opinion on rated esc?? THis one says 60amp but I ran it and pulled 99amps, Im sure its not a good idea.
It's not, usually the FETs can't shave enough heat at that wattage or the PC board conductors might not be able to go that high even if FETs are fine. Prolly a lot of head room in the specs something more expensive ESC's don't have IMHO.
Feb 29, 2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68
Derek,

If you have a digital caliper you just measure the width and diameter of those bearings. Since it's a 4mm shaft the I.D. is already known. I'd be interested to know those measuerments if you ever measured them.
Sorry, I didn't think to fully measure the bearings before I put all 4 motors back together. I painted the shafts with clear dope so the bearings seat real nice. But it's a one shot deal on assembly. On first assembly, the inner race shaves off the dope just perfect. If I put them on a few times, they just shave it all off. So now I have all 4 assembled and don't really want to take apart again.
Feb 29, 2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
This is the stock meteor motor. Several folks here have burned them up on 4S when installed in a plane. I would find another alternative motor if you want to run the cs70/10 fan. Just an FYI.
Feb 29, 2012, 07:57 PM

IM pulling 60amps on 4s with this 3000kv motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
It's not, usually the FETs can't shave enough heat at that wattage or the PC board conductors might not be able to go that high even if FETs are fine. Prolly a lot of head room in the specs something more expensive ESC's don't have IMHO.
NOt sure how much thrust its making, sounds good though, ON 5s its really lighting things up but as I mention its almost 100amps. I just did a quick burst check to see the watts and amps, I dont think it would hold if i had it punched for a while.
Feb 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
Take 901racer excel and add the weight of the motor parameters and watts per gram of weight.
so that we can see that using some of these motors above 10 watts per gram, would not last long, in fact the efficiency and % NLS of these results should be low.

to give us an idea of ​​the mark which are useful colors.
I hope your opinion to make adjustments.

Manuel V.
Thanks !! I will add the color coding indicator to the spreadsheet.
Feb 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
I tested the CS fan with that motor and esc on a Sky lipo 4s 2650 40c and it toasted the esc when I held for around 10seconds, so be careful. I have since switched to the Hobby Wing 80 amp pentium pro and Het 2w-20 have had no problems. She hasn't made into the sky yet, hopefully this weekend. One more thing, I tried those servos in ailerons and elevator and found they had too much play for elevator use in my Lander F-16! OK in the ailerons just seemed like excessive slop for a flying elevator and I may have gotten a couple low qc servos?
Last edited by 3rd-dem; Feb 29, 2012 at 08:22 PM.
Feb 29, 2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd-dem
I tested the CS fan with that motor and esc on a Sky lipo 4s 2650 40c and it toasted the esc when I held for around 10seconds, so be careful. I have since switched to the Hobby Wing 80 amp pentium pro and Het 2w-20 have had no problems. She hasn't made into the sky yet, hopefully this weekend. One more thing, I tried those servos in ailerons and elevator and found they had too much play for elevator use in my Lander F-16! OK in the ailerons just seemed like excessive slop for a flying elevator and I may have gotten a couple low qc servos?
What kind of numbers are you getting with the 2W-20?

Thanks.
Feb 29, 2012, 11:19 PM
Kamikaze Ace
Neat add on to the chart guys! Me likes colors. Like the old threat colors.

Ok What does Optime stand for though?
Feb 29, 2012, 11:27 PM
3DHOG
optime = runtime before the smoke came out LOL!!!!
Mar 01, 2012, 12:01 AM
The best in EDF since 2005
The 2W20 is too high a Kv and too small a can to be efficient in this fan on 4 cells. Look for a much longer can motor with more mass and torque.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
Mar 01, 2012, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas
My thoughts are that it's over the top. If you need more poke then go with a 2800kv or 3000kv max. You will still get respectable power without the risks.

It's just too easy to floor the trottle and watch 1 of the 2 motors die mid air. You will be lucky if you are high up to cut throttle and glide down.

if you must then go with Cyclone Power 2500kv on 5S.....
Just to refresh (this thread is active, so I lose track!!) we are talking about the Turnigy SK3 Fandrive 3516-3300kv on 4S. I agree that a lower Kv would be better, but I can only find a 3300. Is there a 2800 of the SK3? That would be a good choice, but I can't find it.

anlucas, your 3300 is dead, correct? But you did run it on 4S and the numbers were great. What do you think about trying 3S ???? Do you think it would be better all around than the L2855-2300 on 4S ?? Considering both sound at all throttle levels and thrust.

So if we scale your 4S results:
Turnigy SK3 Fandrive - 3516-3300kv
4S 3000 40C
13.59Vm
87.5Ap
1215.0Wp
1.75Kg Thrust

by .75 to do a "rough" conversion to 3S, it would be around (rough prediction, I know, but just for discussion).
3S 3000 40C
65.6Ap
911Wp
1.31Kg Thrust

This is still way better than the L2855-2300 on 4S, at least for Amps and Watts, so the thrust should be more. The L2855's have poor balance issues. If the SK3 sounds very smooth like you say, I'm up for a try. But I need to buy 2, so committing $50 plus shipping, I kinda need some reassurance.

Please keep in mind, I am not after MAX performance, just "airliner" performance.
Mar 01, 2012, 12:56 AM
MY estimation is:

3s, 11 volts, 58A, 636 watts.
For Turnigy SK3 Fandrive - 3516-3300kv

Maybe is a good motor for rewind.

Manuel V.
Mar 01, 2012, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
anlucas, your 3300 is dead, correct? But you did run it on 4S and the numbers were great. What do you think about trying 3S ???? Do you think it would be better all around than the L2855-2300 on 4S ?? Considering both sound at all throttle levels and thrust.

So if we scale your 4S results:
Turnigy SK3 Fandrive - 3516-3300kv
4S 3000 40C
13.59Vm
87.5Ap
1215.0Wp
1.75Kg Thrust

by .75 to do a "rough" conversion to 3S, it would be around (rough prediction, I know, but just for discussion).
3S 3000 40C
65.6Ap
911Wp
1.31Kg Thrust

This is still way better than the L2855-2300 on 4S, at least for Amps and Watts, so the thrust should be more. The L2855's have poor balance issues. If the SK3 sounds very smooth like you say, I'm up for a try. But I need to buy 2, so committing $50 plus shipping, I kinda need some reassurance.
Derek,

The SK3 3300kv is not for a low-maintenance 4S setup. On 3S, there is no question that it will operate the CS10blade without burning up.

Assuming that your 3S batteries can keep 11.1volts under load then you can get 36k rpm.

The L2855-2300kv on 4S at 14.8volts gives 34k rpm. (1.2-1.3Kg of thrust)

The above is in theory though and subject to the kv ratings being correct.

Quick Reply