Feb 21, 2012, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

ArtTech 30mm Sabre Mini Review/Chat Thread-MAIDENED w/VIDEO!!!

I received my ArtTech Sabre from Banana Hobby today...

Before we go any farther, if you have problems with this distributor then please post your comments in the Manufacturer's Thread and not here......

As I stated, I received my Sabre today----It took about 6 business days to get to my front door which is normal for items shipped to me from California via UPS ground...The box arrived in very good condition...This is what you see after opening the outer shipping box...The plane was well packaged with a container with a carrying handle---Not HH or GP quality box, but it gets the job done with "no frills".....
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 27, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2012, 06:23 PM
Need 4 Speed!
Initial impression looks very good! What was the total cost including shipping?
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Feb 21, 2012, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
After unpacking the plane first impressions were both positive and negative...

The first impression positives are: Foam is EPO, paint and markings look well done, battery compartment is HUGE!!!, fit and finish are OK..., scale looking landing gear WITH GEAR DOORS!!!, scale intake/scale outline...

First imression negatives are: Fit and finish not up to HH/GP standards but above SkyAngel, not a micro jet---This thing is HUGE for 30mm!!!...Magnets that hold the wing on not glued in...

At least we have more positives than negatives!!!......Did I say this bird is HUGE?!?!???...Take a look at the pics as compared to the GP micro Sabre and the 35mm SkyAngel MiG 15---This plane is larger than my SkyAngel MiG!!!

My 6 year old son holding up the fuselage of the ArtTech Sabre vs the GP Sabre---Please don't ask what happened to the GP Sabre wing......
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
Feb 21, 2012, 06:43 PM
Thread OP
HUGE battery compartment---Easily enough room for 4S batts...Recommended battery is 250mAh 3S... I plan on 4S with an ESC upgrade from 6 amp to 12 amp...JST battery connector is stock---Which I like due to the fact that all of my batts use this connector..Servo connectors are of the standard JR/Hitec type..Look at the inside of the canopy---Hollow for lightness but more importantly, large enough to stuff just about anything you like, battery wise, in this bird...
Feb 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
The wing is undercambered with a few degrees of washout noticed...Separate aileron servos are a plus---Anyone want to cut out the flaps and install a pair of micro servos????......
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Feb 21, 2012, 06:50 PM
Thread OP
Next shots are of the fan unit looking down the nose/up the tail...30mm fan seems lost in this plane...PLENTY of room for a 40mm unit!!!
Feb 21, 2012, 06:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
Initial impression looks very good! What was the total cost including shipping?
$74.90 for the plane---$16.92 shipping for a total of $91.82...

I also received a CD with 6 channel R/C Flight Simulator software...I didn't order the software so I don't know if it was included free of charge or what...To use it I would have to have the interface cable anyway---Which I don't have...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 21, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Feb 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
very cool...been looking for a mini edf. let us know how it flies !!
Feb 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Here are a couple of pics of the gear with gear doors...Take a look at the nose gear...I can't help but say "How cool is that?!?!????".......Too bad the nose gear isn't steerable......

Kevin
Feb 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
very cool...been looking for a mini edf. let us know how it flies !!
Due to being heavier/larger than the GP Sabre I'm thinking that this plane will be awesome in the wind...I've learned my lesson with the GP Sabre and will hold off flying it in nothing but calm winds...Need a new wing for the GP Sabre though...I know that there are those that have flown the GP Sabre in windy conditions but this plane is VERY light...I'm thinking that it would be more enjoyable in calmer conditions...

I'm seriously thinking about making a symetrical wing for the GP Sabre made out of 1or 2mm Depron and using separate linear micro servos for the ailerons...But that's a subject for another thread......Kevin
Feb 21, 2012, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
As far as lightening the ArtTech Sabre...I'm thinking to get rid of the steel EZ Connectors on the ailerons, ditching the magnets that hold the wings on the plane, glueing the wings on....

To save another few grams you could cut off the JR/Hitec servo connectors and solder the servo wires directly to the RX...A major PITA but possible as I've done this before....The servo wires are pretty long as well and could use a little nip and tuck...The aileron servos are connected to the RX via a "Y" connector...(supplied)...Ditch the "Y" connector and solder the servo wires together, with one servo wire to the RX...

Just food for thought...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Feb 22, 2012, 01:30 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Crikey! check out the scrub marks on the inside of the fan case!! Have you run it up or did it get delivered like that?

Have you the means of testing the kV of that motor?.. or is it written in the manual? How much current does it use?
Feb 22, 2012, 06:22 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Nice pics Kevin! That fan looks aggressive too.
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Feb 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Crikey! check out the scrub marks on the inside of the fan case!! Have you run it up or did it get delivered like that?

Have you the means of testing the kV of that motor?.. or is it written in the manual? How much current does it use?
I noticed the scuff marks too after taking a closer look at the pic...And no, I haven't run it yet---Must have been pre-run.......I don't have the means to test the motor kv but I can take amp/watt readings...I'm going to pull the rotor off and throw it on the balancer before I run the motor...I'll check the manual to see if the kv is listed...

About the manual---It's not in Chinglish like most of the ones we've had to deal with---It's actually pretty well written with only a couple of hints here and there that it came from China...The pics in the manual are just about worthless as they are practically small thumbnail pics...Even if I put another pair of reading glasses over the ones I already am wearing I can't tell a whole lot about the pics...

Kevin
Feb 22, 2012, 11:17 AM
Lt Col, USAF
I ordered one of these the other day myself - Looks to be a viable alternative to the much lighter (read: fragile) GP F-86. Glad to see the initial impressions have been mostly positive so far. How does the thrust-to-weight feel? GP's F-86 has enough power to fly alright, but it's output didn't impress me too much. A small amount more would be very welcome!

I'm really looking forward to your flight report! Are you planning to fly with or without the wheels? Also, how do the wheels attach - Are they easy to pull out if you opt to hand launch, or do they require glue?

Quick Reply