Jan 31, 2012, 10:36 AM
David,
I did not see information on airfoils for this project.
Are they similar to the Perfect or heading in a different direction?
Stefano
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2012, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2
David,
I did not see information on airfoils for this project.
Are they similar to the Perfect or heading in a different direction?
Stefano
Very similar.
Feb 06, 2012, 02:16 PM
Bro
Bro
Thread OP

Perfection

Howdy,
Sneak preview of Jo-Jo's new toy!
I am jealous!

Best,
Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
Feb 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
I cant wait to fly it!!! Picture is taken outside Samba models so not yet in Norway...
Guess I need to do some cool wing covers to protect it from the sun. But that is ok.. After I found my design they asked me if I should save some weight by using less color. So I made a new design and as you see almost all is full carbon!!!
BTW it is in Spread Tow wing but elevator/rudder the new 40g spread tow.

Jojo
www.jojoen.no
www.f3j.com
Feb 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Stable genius
Amazing that only two rabbits were needed to drag the plane out onto that snow drift. Must be really light!
Feb 06, 2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
Amazing that only two rabbits were needed to drag the plane out onto that snow drift. Must be really light!
I hope you are correct
Feb 07, 2012, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoen
I cant wait to fly it!!! Picture is taken outside Samba models so not yet in Norway...
Guess I need to do some cool wing covers to protect it from the sun. But that is ok.. After I found my design they asked me if I should save some weight by using less color. So I made a new design and as you see almost all is full carbon!!!
BTW it is in Spread Tow wing but elevator/rudder the new 40g spread tow.
Hi Jojo,
As you see the sun only 6 months per year in Norway it shouldn't be a problem !
Very nice color scheme, I like it

Samba is definitively at the front of the scene with 2 major releases (Precision and Perfection) in 1 year !

I'm impressed.

Pierre
Feb 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Got mine today!
It is a strong one in ST 80 wings and ST 40 elevator / rudder.
The fuse is very strong and feels stronger than neccesary. The reason is it is being built like the F3B/F Precisioin in high modular fibers.
Anyhow I feel it is overkill...
Here is first updates of pictures.
Flaps is as usual with epoxy wiper and the horns are what you are used to on the Perfects. Screw them in and secure with glue. Same with ailerons but here they use their shiny tape. Not sure I like it or not.. But it is visible
Fuse business end has the usual very strong servo tray that goes all the way back to the joiner. Although the wing have 16mm ballast tubes I did put in a nut in on the servo tray. A 10mm rod can be placed in the fuse! Future models will have an option for this I think.
Since we are now on simple flipper elevator I found no reason to use large servos so installed some smaller ones than the servo tray holes were.
They changed the pushrods to the glassfiber type with teflon outside. The reason for this is the very special elevator solution. Picture later..
Next update will be some detail shots
Feb 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS

Rabbits

I'm amazed that anyone but me would recognise rabbit tracks. BTW.. That is only one rabbit. Coming to set down the model and then going away. Oh, nice model Jo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa
Feb 24, 2012, 07:04 PM
As mentioned mine is a strong 80 ST version. The weight of the wings AUW with heavy flap servos (32g with mounts) and 2,5mm links and metal rods. 18g aileron servos with 2,5mm links and glassfiber rod. Wire harness is already installed from samba. Left wing 624. Right wing 626 (563 without servos but with wires).
Fuse empty 319g. Rudder 33g. Elevator is 51,7g though (fantastic simple solution on the elevator pushrod. See pictures). Total I came out at 650g fuse with CG at 112mm. Joiner is 98g
I used a 4cell AA Eneloop pack and ended up with 60g lead extra in the nose. 2+2 or 1+3 is possible. I used 2+2 and had almost 2cm room in front for the lead and side of the pack (I use standard car-tire lead for this. Dont want to mess with anything else.
Total AUW of 1998g (was supposed to be at 2050g)
The all 40ST they say is around 1700g AUW while a new version with 68 inner and 40ST tips will be something in beetween.
A "standard" version with 68g wings and 40ST elev/rudder will be around 1900g while a full 68 is 1990g.
But all these numbers might change as they develop and might take away stuff... So far I feel this is rock solid and will take years and years of my abuse...
And the bags... The bags are as nice as ever. The fuse bag even have room for the joiner. Dont leave it at home...
Last edited by jojoen; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Feb 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
Picture #17, detachable tail fin ... very interesting.
How is the elevator control linkage attached and detached?
Stefano
Feb 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
AZ Outback
Hi Jojo

With all the new servos, what did you decide to go with. Also, a little surprised with the flapper elevator, is there some adjustment for different center of gravity.

The Best

Robert
Feb 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanoc2
Picture #17, detachable tail fin ... very interesting.
How is the elevator control linkage attached and detached?
Stefano
Slide on. The fact that the control rod is attached in the top of inner fuse means that it will stay fully on
Feb 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Burson
Hi Jojo

With all the new servos, what did you decide to go with. Also, a little surprised with the flapper elevator, is there some adjustment for different center of gravity.

The Best

Robert
Servos is a big secret
Nobody gives me any sponsorship so I use what I find...

The reason why flapper elevator works is because the Perfect airfoil is so stable. speed/distance/thermal they all have virtually the same setting. And same applies to CG. There is very little difference even if soem want to go way of the best settings (107-112mm or 110-112 in my eyes). This does not apply to all airfoils out there...
Feb 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Stable genius
Too late for you jojo but others might want to pay attention to the fuselage servo arrangement. Note that they are intended to go the other way around -- the stagger in the tray is intended to bring each servo closer to the side with the pushrod. This provides much less friction and flex in the pushrod and also ensures the pushrods won't hit the ballast or the other servo. If I hadn't seen so many (every single one) Pike Perfects built with the servos backwards I wouldn't be so sensitive.

Quick Reply