Feb 05, 2012, 03:10 AM
Closed Account
Hi guys,

How are you filtering the GPS wire? The cable is intertwined and pretty thick. I have a 18mm ferrite ring but there's no way I'm gonna get more than one loop on that thing. How has everyone been reducing RF noise on the GPS?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2012, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH
totonor,

This is a recommended set up. I just revised your photo.

John
Hello ,

I made like that , no picture ! Black screen !What's the problem ?

Since the beginning , if i use the vin ground wire , it doesn't work ! i have a black screen .

http://uppix.net/a/1/e/8e1dbad42bd99...1a808963e.html
http://uppix.net/7/9/3/7d84d66800ab7...45ddd8eb2.html

I try this one too , it doesn't work :

Last edited by totonor; Feb 05, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Feb 05, 2012, 06:30 AM
Am thinking of getting a gopro but have heard that the gopro emits noise and may affect the UHF system and GPS unit. I'm thinking of using the gopro to record my flight footage but in future, I may consider using it as my fpv camera. Is there a way to mount the gopro and UHF so that controllability will not be affected on the skywalker V5.1 as well as the GPS unit? I have mounted my UHF antenna on the starboard side of the skywalker where the servo for the pan and tilt fpv camera is located and thinking of placing the GPS unit right behind the motor.
Feb 05, 2012, 12:07 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by totonor
Hello ,

I made like that , no picture ! Black screen !What's the problem ?

Since the beginning , if i use the vin ground wire , it doesn't work ! i have a black screen .

http://uppix.net/a/1/e/8e1dbad42bd99...1a808963e.html
http://uppix.net/7/9/3/7d84d66800ab7...45ddd8eb2.html

I try this one too , it doesn't work :
Some of your wiring is confusing...red wires connected to ground, etc. After tracing everything it looks like it's hooked up okay though. Silly question...Are you sure the DOSD isn't in the 'No Display' mode?
Feb 05, 2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Some of your wiring is confusing...red wires connected to ground, etc. After tracing everything it looks like it's hooked up okay though. Silly question...Are you sure the DOSD isn't in the 'No Display' mode?
Hello ,

That's true , i didn't changed the red wire but it's the ground of the dosd .

I uploaded the configuration of the osd on the software . OSD mode was in mode 1 , i just changed it in mode 2 .

I don't know why i should remove the ground of the vin/vout pin .

Another question . When i power the osd . I don't see any on screen display .

So , here's my settings (communication between dosd and computer is ok).

I'm gonna be crazy
Feb 05, 2012, 12:29 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by totonor
Hello ,

That's true , i didn't changed the red wire but it's the ground of the dosd .

I uploaded the configuration of the osd on the software . OSD mode was in mode 1 , i just changed it in mode 2 .

I don't know why i should remove the ground of the vin/vout pin .

Another question . When i power the osd . I don't see any on screen display .

So , here's my settings (communication between dosd and computer is ok).

I'm gonna be crazy
Your control channel is set for port 1, this is usually one of your four primary controls.

Give this a try:
Connect your PPM line from the Rx to the DOSD PPM input. Assign your throttle channel to the CNTRL Channel on the DOSD input. Have your vid in/gnd/out connected. Move your throttle stick up and down, slowly, to see if you get any sort of display. You should be able to get into the Normal, AP, and Menu modes to see some sort of display. One of the far extremes is Display Off.
Feb 05, 2012, 12:42 PM
I have a few questions:

When i try to update the OSD I get the error messsage:
An error has occured while preforming the Firmware request. Please try again later.

1) how can i fix this?

2) Is the gps status normal when i don't have a lock? (I'm inside)

3)As you can see on the next image, the text on the screen of the osd is to much to the left, is there a way to change this? I dont seem to find some option in the settings (I use pal)

4) The text of the osd is also a bit noisy, i don't think the noise is coming from my cables. I tried it without the transmitter and even a different camera and i still have a bit of noise...

Thanks

Feb 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Your control channel is set for port 1, this is usually one of your four primary controls.

Give this a try:
Connect your PPM line from the Rx to the DOSD PPM input. Assign your throttle channel to the CNTRL Channel on the DOSD input. Have your vid in/gnd/out connected. Move your throttle stick up and down, slowly, to see if you get any sort of display. You should be able to get into the Normal, AP, and Menu modes to see some sort of display. One of the far extremes is Display Off.
So , i tryed . No on screen display

Here's the video , at the end i plug the vin ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9GT...1&feature=plcp
Feb 05, 2012, 01:21 PM
strip it all out, get rid of OSD for a while. Does it work fine if connected in a simple config??

battery, camera and VTX

Your trying to get too much working without the basics working.
Feb 05, 2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801
strip it all out, get rid of OSD for a while. Does it work fine if connected in a simple config??

battery, camera and VTX
Hello ,

He's not working with simply battery camera and vtx . I don't see on screen display.
Feb 05, 2012, 02:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_serious
I have a few questions:

When i try to update the OSD I get the error messsage:
An error has occured while preforming the Firmware request. Please try again later.

1) how can i fix this?
I just go to the f/w site and download the latest version, then install it via PCC.

Quote:
2) Is the gps status normal when i don't have a lock? (I'm inside)
No, the DOSD should see the GPS if you have lock or not. Make sure it's wired/connected correctly (voltage to voltage, gnd to gnd). If the Tx and Rx lines are swapped the DOSD won's recognize the GPS. Just try swapping the Tx/Rx lines around...no problems if they're crossed. There is a problem if you cross the voltage polarity though so be careful on the connection.

Quote:
3)As you can see on the next image, the text on the screen of the osd is to much to the left, is there a way to change this? I dont seem to find some option in the settings (I use pal)
Yes, there is a Safe X and Y setting. One moves the sides of the screen in/out and the other moves the top/bottom in/out. Adjust those until the whole picture shows.

Quote:
4) The text of the osd is also a bit noisy, i don't think the noise is coming from my cables. I tried it without the transmitter and even a different camera and i still have a bit of noise...
Try putting a 100 ohm, (1/8W is fine) resistor between the video ground and Vin lines. Then try same between the vid gnd and Vid out lines (at the DOSD). That usually helps. For testing you don't have to solder the resistor in...just slip the legs into the appropriate openings on the back of the video connector.
Feb 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
I just go to the f/w site and download the latest version, then install it via PCC.

No, the DOSD should see the GPS if you have lock or not. Make sure it's wired/connected correctly (voltage to voltage, gnd to gnd). If the Tx and Rx lines are swapped the DOSD won's recognize the GPS. Just try swapping the Tx/Rx lines around...no problems if they're crossed. There is a problem if you cross the voltage polarity though so be careful on the connection.

Yes, there is a Safe X and Y setting. One moves the sides of the screen in/out and the other moves the top/bottom in/out. Adjust those until the whole picture shows.

Try putting a 100 ohm, (1/8W is fine) resistor between the video ground and Vin lines. Then try same between the vid gnd and Vid out lines (at the DOSD). That usually helps. For testing you don't have to solder the resistor in...just slip the legs into the appropriate openings on the back of the video connector.
Im pretty sure the gps is wired correctly.
At this post you told: "starting from the left hand side: Red, White, Green, Black, the last pad on the right is empty." And I have the same gps as Derk_s

here is my wiring:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7...0205210550.jpg

There is a led flashing (only one time) on power up.
The + and - are giving 3.2v.

I also changed the rx and tx and its the same result
Feb 05, 2012, 04:03 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_serious
Im pretty sure the gps is wired correctly.
At this post you told: "starting from the left hand side: Red, White, Green, Black, the last pad on the right is empty." And I have the same gps as Derk_s

here is my wiring:
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7...0205210550.jpg

There is a led flashing (only one time) on power up.
The + and - are giving 3.2v.

I also changed the rx and tx and its the same result
Ah, this is the GPS you said got the wires ripped out of it...correct? If so, you could have other issues. The flash of the LED tells me its getting power. The lack of DOSD recognizing it tells me its not communicating.
Feb 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Closed Account
Anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES
Hi guys,

How are you filtering the GPS wire? The cable is intertwined and pretty thick. I have a 18mm ferrite ring but there's no way I'm gonna get more than one loop on that thing. How has everyone been reducing RF noise on the GPS?

Thanks
Feb 05, 2012, 04:10 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by THOMASJONES
Anyone??
I just added some smaller gauge wire and wrapped them through a torroid as many times as possible (6-8 times possible...it's been a while). The torroid is close to the GPS antenna. Never had a problem getting satellite lock.

Quick Reply