Feb 01, 2012, 08:15 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcast12
I've tried various disk checking software on the card and got no errors. I also copied a large 2gb HD video onto the #11 and it played flawlessly.

Looks like it's the camera

Also to note, the files it records are the correct length, playable (sound is fine, no picture) and moveable/deletable. Repairing the files gives partially garbled, generally unwatchable footage.

edit: webcam works fine
One last try (before Sir Tom wakes up )
Have you tried re-flashing (reloading) your Firmware in the camera ?
Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee
One last try (before Sir Tom wakes up )
Have you tried re-flashing (reloading) your Firmware in the camera ?
Mike
yup, same issue.
Feb 01, 2012, 08:38 AM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcast12
yup, same issue.
humm. I think it is time to call in Tom, as he has the contacts with the developers (they might be interested in the "smoking remains" for post mortem) & ( maybe try for a lowered cost replacement ??).
Mike
Feb 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee
humm. I think it is time to call in Tom, as he has the contacts with the developers (they might be interested in the "smoking remains" for post mortem) & ( maybe try for a lowered cost replacement ??).
Mike
Hmmm... I have not seen where a different flash card has been tried (did I miss it?).... they can wear out or otherwise go bad as we know. I know it tested OK, but that's with a different host device communicating with the card. Just trying to rule out other possibilities.

The camera developer monitors the threads, so I do not need to pass on comments. The camera is 6 months old, so not sure if this goes beyond a normal replacement period or not, especially not knowing under what extremes the camera has been used. All things break.... eventually!
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 01, 2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: rewrote
Feb 01, 2012, 09:58 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
I downloaded from page 1 the firmware to test sd cards and it corupted my comp and just now was able to correct this problem.
Please be aware of this
Feb 01, 2012, 10:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1
I downloaded from page 1 the firmware to test sd cards and it corupted my comp and just now was able to correct this problem.
Please be aware of this
I assume you mean a program, not firmware. Not enough information! None of the correct downloads should corrupt your computer. Can you be more specific? What did you download (crystalDiskmark?)?. What computer operating system (XP, Vista, Windows 7)? What happened... e.g what error messages, system crash, what? What did you do to "fix" it?
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 02, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Feb 02, 2012, 04:49 AM

i broke my camera

look what i do

I open my camera to change the angle, i do so many times until this happens

can be repaired?

or maybe can i buy only the lens?

thx
sry my english
Feb 02, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetec
You should be able to get replacement OV9712 CMOS modules for the #11 without any problems directly from digitalele889 or eletoponline365 - for about $8 each.

If you were thinking of adding a PCB connector to the #11's PCB to allow the removal and replacement of the CMOS module, I honestly think you can forget it.
This would be a great addition, but the pitch of the Flexible Printed Circuit on the #11 module is 0.635mm (the same as SSOP IC's) - but non-standard for FFC connectors.
I did however find one supplier in China offering FFC / FPC connectors with a pitch of 0.625mm - very close, but I've never heard back from them. Link HERE :

Good luck in your quest - Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg
Now I remember! We have already talked about your unhappily glued module!

What a bad news! Maybe you can dissect the internal CMOS and see if you can reach directly a soldering point to recreate the broken connection.

We are taking more about medical surgery than electronics

Maybe there's someone around with a bricked cam that wants to donate it to science

Post a picture of the damage.. maybe we could find a way round. I've a cam that it's running strong after a pin pad reconstruction
I'm still tinkering, but will most probably order a new CMOS module and see if that will fix my problem.

I don't think the lifted track is bad at all. I've remove the glue remains with lots of acetone and soaking... The CMOS tracks are very long and I expect I can solder the cable without repairing the track, maybe I'll have to add a short extension. I'll have to clean up the tracks a bit first. Also I like timetec's idea about adding an FFC connector - too bad it would be non-standard. I don't know how he found that site, and most probably they won't sell one or two samples anyway!

Feb 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4l4u
look what i do

I open my camera to change the angle, i do so many times until this happens

can be repaired?

or maybe can i buy only the lens?

thx
sry my english
If you can solder, it's possible. See my previous post #8708. You can most probably order a new CMOS module from the eBay seller where you bought your camera.

But I have a question. What happens when you turn on your camera? Which LED is lit? I don't have a jumbo, but does the yellow LED blink or is it solid yellow (might be another color on the jumbo). Does the shutter button react?
Feb 02, 2012, 01:17 PM
Fidler & twidler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop
I'm still tinkering, but will most probably order a new CMOS module and see if that will fix my problem.

To Quote the Bard :-
In days of old
When men were bold
And PCBs were just invented
Used a pen with Silver loaded Ink
And we were quite contented
Mike
(I.A.)
Feb 02, 2012, 07:41 PM
Quote:

I don't think the lifted track is bad at all. I've remove the glue remains with lots of acetone and soaking... The CMOS tracks are very long and I expect I can solder the cable without repairing the track, maybe I'll have to add a short extension. I'll have to clean up the tracks a bit first. Also I like timetec's idea about adding an FFC connector - too bad it would be non-standard. I don't know how he found that site, and most probably they won't sell one or two samples anyway!

if the circle around the vias hole is not lifted ..than it will work perfectly ! I had a similar situation on one of my camera
Feb 03, 2012, 01:17 AM
Quote:
If you can solder, it's possible. See my previous post #8708. You can most probably order a new CMOS module from the eBay seller where you bought your camera.

But I have a question. What happens when you turn on your camera? Which LED is lit? I don't have a jumbo, but does the yellow LED blink or is it solid yellow (might be another color on the jumbo). Does the shutter button react?
solder this one? or i have to buy a new one cmos module?
i do not understand anything of eletronics, if i send it in a eletricist?

see the video example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Uu0acLXQM8M
Feb 03, 2012, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l4l4u
solder this one? or i have to buy a new one cmos module?
i do not understand anything of eletronics, if i send it in a eletricist?

see the video example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Uu0acLXQM8M
There is no way you can solder the broken connection , so you would have to buy a new CMOS module.

Then you would have to find somebody who can solder the new module for you. An electrician can't do this sort of work. You need to find an electronics technician.

Soldering the new module is the easy part - the difficult part is removing the old cable, and I can tell you, that could be very difficult if your cable is glued like mine was. It may be safer to cut the cable between the wires and desolder wire by wire. In any case, you would need to find someone with good soldering skills. It is impossible to do this if you have never soldered before. And remember, even if you find someone to solder the new CMOS module to the board, there is no guarantee that the camera will work - maybe something else got damaged when the cable broke - like in the video.
I hate to say this, but in the end it would most probably be cheaper to buy a new camera. Not very encouraging, I know.

Thanks for the video link - that is exactly what my #11 keychain does. Did that happen before the cable broke in half? If yes, then I believe this confirms my suspicion that the solid yellow LED indicates a broken CMOS module cable.
Feb 03, 2012, 07:40 AM
My #11 has just recently stopped charging, only had it a few months and probably only charged it about 3 or 4 times in that period.

The red LED fails to come on no matter what lead I use, and I have sometimes heard a very high pitched squeal coming form inside the case.

is this likely to be a battery problem or something more serious.
It is a V2 board judging from the pictures on the first post

great thread by the way and have just ordered a #16 in case this one is dead as I now need to use it.
Last edited by robertig; Feb 03, 2012 at 07:42 AM. Reason: .
Feb 03, 2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertig
My #11 has just recently stopped charging, only had it a few months and probably only charged it about 3 or 4 times in that period.

The red LED fails to come on no matter what lead I use, and I have sometimes heard a very high pitched squeal coming form inside the case.

is this likely to be a battery problem or something more serious.
It is a V2 board judging from the pictures on the first post

great thread by the way and have just ordered a #16 in case this one is dead as I now need to use it.
Does the squeal come from the battery? If yes, disconnect the USB and let the battery calm down. Then remove it and dispose of it properly before it leaks or explodes. The batteries don't last long in the #11, I had one last just over one month, but it didn't squeal

You can buy new batteries from the original seller, but if you can't solder you'll have to strip the wire ends and connect them together and wrap them in electrical tape to prevent shorting. Maybe dip them in epoxy to make a solid joint before insulating them would also be a good idea.

Quick Reply