Jan 30, 2012, 08:59 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by planex
Is there a write up somewhere on how to install flaps?
Just a matter of duplicating how the ailerons are setup on the plane, only embed the servos the same way so they both go in the same direction and not opposite on a Y harness, or if you have a radio that can do it you could put them on seperate channels and mix with ailerons to make true flapperons (flaps act as ailerons when set to do so).
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2012, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc
My flying on the beach:

http://youtu.be/V0QEFzp469w
Man that looks like a great place to fly. When you get tired you can camp, go surfing, boating or swim. Can't complain about that.

That was also some very impressive low level flying. Looks like at one point you were trying to surf a wave.

Vince
Jan 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
Bill

Tough Plane!

I ran my Bixler into a goal post today.
Very little damage and a little hot water and some Gorilla Glue fixed it right up.
There is a video of the impact on the Bixler FPV thread.
Will be in the air tomorrow!
Jan 30, 2012, 09:14 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202
Man that looks like a great place to fly. When you get tired you can camp, go surfing, boating or swim. Can't complain about that.

That was also some very impressive low level flying. Looks like at one point you were trying to surf a wave.

Vince
Cheers, It's not called a sky surfer for nothing hehe
Jan 30, 2012, 09:28 PM
Limited flyer
Sounds fun to say,{reverse thrust},it would not be the same as a variable prop, but then again, you guys know that right.Now correct me if i am wrong but I am pretty sure that no one makes a prop capable of producing thrust in both forward and backwards moving motors{NOW WE ARE TALKING ONE PROP FOR BOTH DIRECTIONS RIGHT{sorry not yelling}
Jan 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
FPV Electronics For Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer
Sounds fun to say,{reverse thrust},it would not be the same as a variable prop, but then again, you guys know that right.Now correct me if i am wrong but I am pretty sure that no one makes a prop capable of producing thrust in both forward and backwards moving motors{NOW WE ARE TALKING ONE PROP FOR BOTH DIRECTIONS RIGHT{sorry not yelling}
Spinning a prop backwards would not produce very good thrust, but thrust it would produce none the less, and considering the efficiency loss of spinning it backwards, backwards flying you will probably not do, but air breaking it will do fine .
Jan 30, 2012, 09:56 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Yet spinning it backwards still gives enough thrust to fly... I have carelessly put prop on backwards once, was wondering why it was lacking in performace. But still flew
Spinning backwards would provide heaps to slow down VERY quickly I imagine. I doubt there would be much control, and it would pitch up rapidly. Would be awesome to try, get into a big dive and crank it backwards!
Jan 30, 2012, 10:19 PM
Limited flyer
I agree with both of you,still, just saying.
Jan 30, 2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by planex
Is there a write up somewhere on how to install flaps?
Here you go, a video of flaps installed on a Skysurfer. I can also operate the flaps without the spoilerons although it is not shown.
Skysurfer with flaps and spoilerons (0 min 53 sec)
Jan 30, 2012, 10:56 PM
ancora imparo
Well it's easy enough to try. Just replace the ESC with a boat one that has forward and reverse - and make sure the prop is on real tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc
Yet spinning it backwards still gives enough thrust to fly... I have carelessly put prop on backwards once, was wondering why it was lacking in performace. But still flew
Spinning backwards would provide heaps to slow down VERY quickly I imagine. I doubt there would be much control, and it would pitch up rapidly. Would be awesome to try, get into a big dive and crank it backwards!
Jan 31, 2012, 12:13 AM
i Like RC

InRunner 2200 KV or 2700 KV ?

My first plane was a SkySurfer and it flew very well with a HobbyKing InRunner HXT B2835 2200 KV and 6 x 4 Prop with 40A ESC. I'm building my second plane, a Bixler. I'm thinking of using the same motor but the 2700 KV version. Does anyone know if the 2700 KV is a worthwhile improvement? I plan on making the necessary mods to reinforce the wings etc.
Jan 31, 2012, 12:14 AM
Here's a short video of my new sky surfer's maiden. My girlfriend needs a little practice filming moving objects . I've only been flying for 3 months, so be nice lol.

Sky Surfer Maiden Flight in Seattle (2 min 4 sec)
Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 AM
Heli Mania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai
Let's run some numbers. Suppose you have a 6x4 with the standard motor, which probably only spins at around 16k rpm at full throttle. This gives us 16000 rpm x 4 in x 60 min = 3840000 in/HR. 3.84 mil/12/5280 ≈ 60MPH theoretically. Factor in drag and you probably get significantly less than that.
Sorry for the noob question, but when they specify a prop as "6x4" does that mean it's 6 inches in diameter, and theoretically moves forward 4 inches for every revolution (due to the pitch)? Based on you calculation above, that seems to be the case.
Jan 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli
Sorry for the noob question, but when they specify a prop as "6x4" does that mean it's 6 inches in diameter, and theoretically moves forward 4 inches for every revolution (due to the pitch)? Based on you calculation above, that seems to be the case.
That's correct. The first number is diameter and the second is pitch per revolution.
Jan 31, 2012, 01:46 AM
Argue for your limitations
Thread OP

Motor suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer
My first plane was a SkySurfer and it flew very well with a HobbyKing InRunner HXT B2835 2200 KV and 6 x 4 Prop with 40A ESC. I'm building my second plane, a Bixler. I'm thinking of using the same motor but the 2700 KV version. Does anyone know if the 2700 KV is a worthwhile improvement? I plan on making the necessary mods to reinforce the wings etc.
I have used all three 2835's (220, 2700, 3900). IMO the best bang for the buck is the 2200Kv. The 2700 makes more noise but is not that big an improvement in speed and performance. If you have (or want to save up the bucks) for a 2505-2835 MicroDan motor, That is a fabulous motor that you will use over and over again in many planes. For about 1/2 that price, you can get the same performance from a Grayson MicroJet V2. But, it is a full ounce more in weight than the MD. Have fun and let us know what you decide.
AJ

Quick Reply