Jan 17, 2012, 05:17 AM

new to this and almost working

Hi
I have this board HobbyKing Quadcopter Control Board V2.1 with 1.07a Aeroplane mode and the elevator and rudder are working ok.

The ailerons only move (erratic) when the stick is moved to the left only and the gyro only works when it is rolled in one direction.

I tried the ailerons in the receiver and they work fine.

not sure I can explain the wiring but from left to right I have rudder,ailerons,throttle and elevator. m2 elev, m3 rudder, m5 aeilerons

all the pots are at center

Do I need to calibrate the aileron stick somewhere?

any help re things to try would be much appreciated.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2012, 08:57 AM
NDw
NDw
Hi Ron these are the connections for the regular airplane mode in 1.07

Jan 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
NDw
NDw
So regarding my issue from page 8

I have checked and there is 5v going to all of m1 to m6, seems the signal is just not getting there.

Anyone have any idea?

I'll be ordering an extra board tommorow regardless.
Jan 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover
You can organize mode hold on KK controller??
Where a my Rover translators? Rover, I am not sure what you are asking. What is mode hold?
Jan 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw
So regarding my issue from page 8

I have checked and there is 5v going to all of m1 to m6, seems the signal is just not getting there.

Anyone have any idea?

I'll be ordering an extra board tommorow regardless.
I'm wondering if it's just stuck in GUI mode, as this suppresses the outputs. You have nothing connected to the programming port or serial interface?
Jan 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
NDw
NDw
Yep I never even got gui mode working.

I have since loaded v1.08 and still no output so would that rule that out?

I'm presumaing it's something physically wrong with the board.

I suppose one way make sure of that would be to load some quad firmware.
Last edited by NDw; Jan 17, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Jan 17, 2012, 02:51 PM
NDw
NDw
So I loaded quad firmware and connected it up. As the board is on my wing I just connected the motor of the wing to m1. When I throttle up it turns the motor and when I rotate th plane it speeds up/slows down the motor so the gyros seem to be working.

So if it was stuck in gui mode, how'd I get it out?
Jan 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw
Hi Ron these are the connections for the regular airplane mode in 1.07

I have different wiring. I will try this setup when I get home tonight.
Thanks
Jan 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw
So I loaded quad firmware and connected it up. As the board is on my wing I just connected the motor of the wing to m1. When I throttle up it turns the motor and when I rotate th plane it speeds up/slows down the motor so the gyros seem to be working.

So if it was stuck in gui mode, how'd I get it out?
OK, that's good news. Now did you ever run 1.07 successfully? or were you using a different version to actually fly on. Things may have changed after you last flew with it. Were you trying to modify the board with connections to the Atmel chip? Just remind me what you were trying to do.
Anything inadvertently connected to the RX line of the chip or the 6-pin connector might cause it to go into GUI mode... Hmm but you said that you tried V1.08, which has GUI blocked...
You haven't downloaded the CPPM version have you?
Jan 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
NDw
NDw
I downloaded OpenAero_1_08_m168.zip from the first post.

Yep I flew on 1.07

I was trying to connect the gui. I think I might have connected 5v to pin one and might also have connected tx + rx the wrong way around.

Then when I tried to start it again on my wing there was nothing from the servo outputs.
Jan 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
NDw
NDw
Tried loading 1.08 again and all is working!

Including the switch for turning it off!

I don't know why it wasn't working and is now.

I did have the throttle still connected with 1.08 which after reading the last couple of pages I see I shouldn't have.

Ps. thanks for the write up on the accelerometer happy!
Last edited by NDw; Jan 17, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Jan 17, 2012, 04:54 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw
Tried loading 1.08 again and all is working!
Including the switch for turning it off!
I don't know why it wasn't working and is now.
I did have the throttle still connected with 1.08 which after reading the last couple of pages I see I shouldn't have.
Ps. thanks for the write up on the accelerometer happy!
Awesome! I hope that you find that new switch useful. I'm a bit concerned why it didn't work before. Maybe you should try powering it on and off a few times to make sure it always comes up and runs before flying with it...
Also, double check that all the servo throws and gyro direction are still as you expected.
Good to know your board is ok
Jan 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays
OK, that's good news. Now did you ever run 1.07 successfully? or were you using a different version to actually fly on. Things may have changed after you last flew with it. Were you trying to modify the board with connections to the Atmel chip? Just remind me what you were trying to do.
Anything inadvertently connected to the RX line of the chip or the 6-pin connector might cause it to go into GUI mode... Hmm but you said that you tried V1.08, which has GUI blocked...
You haven't downloaded the CPPM version have you?
Here's dumb question!! Why does the GUI have to be disables far as I know multiwii does not disable when GUI connected and the multirotor they are much more dangerous, that's why we remove the prop ESC has safe operation protection.

Can we make th operation the same for GUI and LCD connected or not.

Cheers Jerry
Jan 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
I was also struggeling with the Gui the first 5-10 startup's.
Did not get any activety on the sensors, but the link was good and i had the right com port.
But yesterday i got some good feedback :-) i reflashed theboard and got it going after a few startup's.
This is in Quad mode.
Sorry for the crossposting :-)
Aero mode later.....

KKai
Jan 17, 2012, 09:20 PM
OpenAeroVTOL developer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeinsky1
Here's dumb question!! Why does the GUI have to be disables far as I know multiwii does not disable when GUI connected and the multirotor they are much more dangerous, that's why we remove the prop ESC has safe operation protection.
Can we make th operation the same for GUI and LCD connected or not.
Cheers Jerry
You have to remember that we are tyring to get a MultiWii experience from a tiny 8-bit, crappy, slow, poorly engineered board. It doesn't have the hardware to simultaneously to both at the same time. The UART that should be used to talk to the GUI is connected to the Aileron input! So I have to be crafty and use a software UART to talk with the GUI, but I can't do anything else at the same time.
I'm really just trying to maximise the functions of this popular, but miserable bit of kit

Quick Reply