Jan 08, 2012, 10:30 PM
Addicted
Hi Chris. Looks great! Any idea what wing area/wing loading?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2012, 03:27 PM
Once crash at a time
Got shipping prices to UK? I'm tempted!
Jan 09, 2012, 07:05 PM
Crash & Learn

Wow!

Well i got my maiden flight a few days early.Got a call from flying buddy for a Sunday night gym session.To say i was shocked on my first battery would be a severe understatement.This 18" kit is without a doubt,the most accurate and sweetest flying Flatty i've had,or flown.

I am in no way an experienced 3d pilot what so ever.I've flown my buddy's umx 300.Then went on to my own um 4-site(now on # 3).Built a dynex 2.4,a decent plane but gets heavy real quick after a few repairs.A warlord,IMO,not too much different than the 2.4.

I entered into this hobby about 9 months ago.We fly in a small gym twice a week.The ceilings are short and the walls are there before ya know it.And you also have to contend with the baskets and lights.It's hard enough just trying to keep in the air,let alone trying to learn,or attempt any 3d type of maneuvers.Your probably wandering what this has to do with this plane????
Within the first 4 batteries on this 18" bowker.I was happy as a clam to pull off my first torque roll ever!,my first full circle rolling harrier.And to top it off, a very elusive for me so far ,A full circle knife edge.I still have'nt weighed the plane yet,but i do know that it's capable of pulling straight up to the ceiling from a just above the floor hover.On all stock 4-site gear.

Yea! I'm a very Happy Camper. Atta-boy Chris.Nice Plane.
Jan 09, 2012, 08:51 PM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow
Hi Chris. Looks great! Any idea what wing area/wing loading?
Its a little over 90 sq's and all of mine have built in around 1.1-1.25 oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz
Got shipping prices to UK? I'm tempted!
send me a PM with your zip code(or uk equivalent) and I can get you a price, I don't mind shipping oversea's but cost is usually more than that of this kit

Bowerz isnt related to Bowker? lol the side of my family I get my name from is all British.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey2u
Well i got my maiden flight a few days early.Got a call from flying buddy for a Sunday night gym session.To say i was shocked on my first battery would be a severe understatement.This 18" kit is without a doubt,the most accurate and sweetest flying Flatty i've had,or flown.

I am in no way an experienced 3d pilot what so ever.I've flown my buddy's umx 300.Then went on to my own um 4-site(now on # 3).Built a dynex 2.4,a decent plane but gets heavy real quick after a few repairs.A warlord,IMO,not too much different than the 2.4.

I entered into this hobby about 9 months ago.We fly in a small gym twice a week.The ceilings are short and the walls are there before ya know it.And you also have to contend with the baskets and lights.It's hard enough just trying to keep in the air,let alone trying to learn,or attempt any 3d type of maneuvers.Your probably wandering what this has to do with this plane????
Within the first 4 batteries on this 18" bowker.I was happy as a clam to pull off my first torque roll ever!,my first full circle rolling harrier.And to top it off, a very elusive for me so far ,A full circle knife edge.I still have'nt weighed the plane yet,but i do know that it's capable of pulling straight up to the ceiling from a just above the floor hover.On all stock 4-site gear.

Yea! I'm a very Happy Camper. Atta-boy Chris.Nice Plane.
Thanks! I'm stoked to hear that you were able to huck the little guy! IMO A lot of the other designs you mentioned have several design flaws I've tried to work out. Mostly they are almost perfect copy's of their larger counter parts..Its weird just how much scaling a model from just 30" down to 20"(even if the weight scales proportionally to the size) will change its flight characteristics.

Chris
Jan 15, 2012, 08:38 PM

Yet another 18" Yak

Chris,

Just wanted to let you know that the Yak is great! The foam work is beautiful! Put it together from your "build" pictures and took it to our indoor fly at a gym. Only got two batteries in as there was a lot of other "traffic" in the air. (and I like this little plane way too much to risk it!) Knife edge with this thing is too easy to do.

I flew through the build, weighed the result and was a 1/2 gram heavier than yours. I then realized that you only put the fuselage CF bracing on one side. I put it on both.

I used the 4-Site gear including the motor. It flies better than the 4-Site and the UMX Extra. The first thing you notice is that the plane is far more rigid than the Extra and many times stronger than the 4-Site.

If I were to make any changes, I'd like to see nose cutouts for the 4-Site motor, or a better way to install it. Also, the only weak spot I've found is the wing tip near the SFG. You might want to make the routed out area smaller or move it back a bit from the edge.

Oh, and what's the benefit of the "spades"?

One happy customer...
Mike
Jan 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Am I seeing things, or did you not install stand-offs for the tail surface control rods?
Jan 16, 2012, 05:01 PM
Off playing tug
Thread OP
Thanks for the feed back and posting the pics Mike, your yak looks great! The spades are on my UMX models to smooth out some of the twitchy flight characteristics that they develop when you go that small.

Bryan, I think you are not seeing things to be correct :P It looks to me like he has guides on his model for the push rods. the resolution is a little low making them harder to see.

Chris
Jan 16, 2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker
Bryan, I think you are not seeing things to be correct :P It looks to me like he has guides on his model for the push rods. the resolution is a little low making them harder to see.
Good deal. I thought the model was small, but not so small that those would not be necessary.
Jan 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710
Am I seeing things, or did you not install stand-offs for the tail surface control rods?
They are there! They are near-white and are sliced from hinges from larger planes. (Sorry for the cell phone photos!)
Jan 16, 2012, 07:03 PM
Now worries.

Off-topic, where do you normally fly?
Jan 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Now worries.

Off-topic, where do you normally fly?
With the Cincinnati Silent Fliers. http://electricflyers.com/ During the winter we fly in a gym a few miles from the field.
Jan 16, 2012, 09:22 PM
Quote:
See the picture for how they are made. (These hinges are from my "way back when" parts bin and are over 30 years old! They were even made in the U.S.A.!)
Jan 16, 2012, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarville
With the Cincinnati Silent Fliers. http://electricflyers.com/ During the winter we fly in a gym a few miles from the field.
Cool! I had stopped by for the camp-out a few months ago, but hadn't dropped by because I hadn't gotten my AMA membership yet.
Jan 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
I'd like one of these but I just don't have the equipment. Dont know near what you guys know about this stuff. Any suggestions?
Jan 17, 2012, 10:26 AM
Addicted
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra
I'd like one of these but I just don't have the equipment. Dont know near what you guys know about this stuff. Any suggestions?
What equipment? Radio gear or assembly gear? Parkzone micro gear is best to get from an actual plane, cheaper than buying separately.

Quick Reply