Dec 08, 2011, 03:03 PM
3d NOOBular
I'm flying an orange rx in my 51 slick with the sat. It has been flawless so far.

I got 4 flights in today between class and work. It was the first flying time I could sneak in this week. I feel SLICK today

When I got this plane I got a good deal on a Hacker A30 10XL. I've been running it with a 13x6.5 prop but I'm feeling like I would really like to change it out for an A30 12XL. The throttle is too touchy with the higher kv on the 10XL.

Is my problem really the motor or do I need to change the throttle curve so it's not so touchy in the center? Maybe some expo on the throttle? This is my first time really encountering this issue but it's really tough to get into a good hover with this plane. I'm just bouncing it up and down too much.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2011, 03:17 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
I'm flying an orange rx in my 51 slick with the sat. It has been flawless so far.

I got 4 flights in today between class and work. It was the first flying time I could sneak in this week. I feel SLICK today

When I got this plane I got a good deal on a Hacker A30 10XL. I've been running it with a 13x6.5 prop but I'm feeling like I would really like to change it out for an A30 12XL. The throttle is too touchy with the higher kv on the 10XL.

Is my problem really the motor or do I need to change the throttle curve so it's not so touchy in the center? Maybe some expo on the throttle? This is my first time really encountering this issue but it's really tough to get into a good hover with this plane. I'm just bouncing it up and down too much.
I have been know to add -3 to -7% expo on the throttle on my futaba depending on the set up.
Dec 08, 2011, 04:16 PM
3d NOOBular
Thanks DOG. BTW everyone, todays flights were sponsored by DOG
Dec 08, 2011, 04:28 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:

I use expo on gassers to broaden the throttle response. You could use a point curve to flatten the response at the hover range.
Dec 08, 2011, 04:30 PM
3d NOOBular
ya... I have plenty of unlimmited vertical at about 5/8th throttle on this setup but hovering is somewhere between 3/8 and half. You can see my problem. A tiny blip takes the plane up 2 or 3 feet.
Dec 08, 2011, 04:41 PM
Quote:
ya... I have plenty of unlimmited vertical at about 5/8th throttle on this setup but hovering is somewhere between 3/8 and half. You can see my problem. A tiny blip takes the plane up 2 or 3 feet.
Me bumpin the rudder around in the hover often moves the thottle a smidge when I dont want it. With a lot of power you end up tossin the hover about. I have the 9CHP with no ratchet, and I like it that way but it does bump around easy.
Dec 08, 2011, 04:49 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
Me bumpin the rudder around in the hover often moves the thottle a smidge when I dont want it. With a lot of power you end up tossin the hover about. I have the 9CHP with no ratchet, and I like it that way but it does bump around easy.
I'll admit that part of my problems is that I just haven't practiced hovering on this plan that much but today I was having a really hard time finding the throttle position that would just hold it there. On my 48 edge I am constantly adjusting the throttle position around a certain range.

I like the expo idea because I love the raw power but I need some finesse around the middle of the throttle range. I wish I knew how to handle it better... Maybe its just too much power for the plane period. Everyone on the slick thread says to run a 12XL with a 14x7 prop on 4s. Heck maybe I'll try this one out on a 14x7 on 3s packs just for kicks.
Dec 08, 2011, 05:21 PM
Ok guys I got a couple more flights in today, though I did nose her in on the last flight.
So I need to pull the cowl and check it out.
I still havn't found my batt strap so I was once again easy on her except I did some knife Edging, but mainly low fly bys and touch and goes, but only if I let her get alittle too low.
Last edited by kerwin50; Dec 08, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
Dec 08, 2011, 05:37 PM
Quote:
I'll admit that part of my problems is that I just haven't practiced hovering on this plan that much but today I was having a really hard time finding the throttle position that would just hold it there. On my 48 edge I am constantly adjusting the throttle position around a certain range.

I like the expo idea because I love the raw power but I need some finesse around the middle of the throttle range. I wish I knew how to handle it better... Maybe its just too much power for the plane period. Everyone on the slick thread says to run a 12XL with a 14x7 prop on 4s. Heck maybe I'll try this one out on a 14x7 on 3s packs just for kicks.
Each little difference can change things, as Arron says, there is a sweet spot and you have to hunt it out. The Ratchet throttle allways gets me, above the notch is too much, below the notch is not enought which is worse with electrics as the lipo starts to sag.
Dec 08, 2011, 06:56 PM
3d NOOBular
I took ratcheting out of play on my DX7
Dec 09, 2011, 06:49 AM
Had a great time visiting with Mike yesterday....very nice guy He did get the chance to fly my MX2 Foamie and the superfly and he liked them both

Mike I hope the trip to Elkhart was safe and the planes were what you expected! Hopefully you can post some pics!
Dec 09, 2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50
Ok guys I got a couple more flights in today, though I did nose her in on the last flight.
So I need to pull the cowl and check it out.
I still havn't found my batt strap so I was once again easy on her except I did some knife Edging, but mainly low fly bys and touch and goes, but only if I let her get alittle too low.
Good to see that plane in the air and you behind the sticks!
Looks like you're having fun with it...hope your last landing didn't cause any major issues. I'm hoping to fly tomorrow am.
Dec 09, 2011, 10:14 AM
3d NOOBular
Mike & Mike... congrats on being able to hang out... you guys are lucky to live so close. Mike, congrats on the new 51 slick... I have one and you getting one still almost makes me feel jealous
Dec 09, 2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1
Had a great time visiting with Mike yesterday....very nice guy He did get the chance to fly my MX2 Foamie and the superfly and he liked them both

Mike I hope the trip to Elkhart was safe and the planes were what you expected! Hopefully you can post some pics!
Tom,
The actual destination was South Bend...and I forgot one crucial thing (DOG, don't laugh...) the TIME ZONE CHANGE! LOL.

I got there right on time (according to my calculations) but an hour late per the seller's expectations! It was all good and the seller got a kick out of that too. It was a long drive home from South Bend to Crystal Lake, but I picked up an hour on the way back, so it was all good, right? It started snowing as I pulled into my driveway; I'm grateful the snow waited until I got home. I put 300 miles on the car last night, there and back.

I had a blast meeting Tom and seeing his very fine workshop and most of all the really nice EF and 3DHS planes that he and his son own. Flying Tom's planes was fun; it must be really nice to have an open lot next to your house so you can step out the front door and fly at will! Thanks again for the hospitality Tom! I took two short videos as well, they should be posted as attachements. [I had trouble uploading the videos...only one turned out, I will post it to youtube later and update the link here.]

-Mike

p.s. the planes are actually red...my cell phone camera did not render the colors very well given the lighting
Last edited by SnowDog1974; Dec 09, 2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added photos
Dec 09, 2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
Tom,
The actual destination was South Bend...and I forgot one crucial thing (DOG, don't laugh...) the TIME ZONE CHANGE! LOL.

-Mike
That is asking a bit much Mike <snicker> but in the end, a good trip with much value. Glad you had a good trip.

I have got to ask <picture reminded me> What is with "Team Capacity" and the use of the term Capacity in the 3DHS circle?

Quick Reply