Hellferstout 5 26.32%
Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Dec 06, 2011, 12:35 PM
Just call me crash for short
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave View Post
Take a look at the underlined bit. Is this really correct or did you have a typo?

If, in fact, the area is listed ... then computing the wing loading ought to be rather straightforward.
Well, it's not a typo on my part and I don't think it would be a typo on the triptych (artwork) as it is written in the designers own hand. However, i have taken the image into CAD, traced over it and what the designer is calling DMQ should of been written as DMK. The designs that I am refering to were done in the late 40's / early 50's and that might of been the way area was expressed then. with the representation symbol as DMQ, though this document from here states that DMQ is for cubic decimeters. After all, cubic starts with a Q right? Just say it out loud.

Anyway, when one takes the numbers, and plugs them into square instead of cubic, it comes out right, about 6.8 oz / sq. ft, Maybe not to bad for a NACA6409 airfoil? (A similar drawing is attached bellow.)

Thanks for your input, and it seems that it's a simple difference in symbol interpretation that ignited my confusion.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Just learned that the Dmq is not decimetre cube, it is decimetre quadra or squared. just lost in translation. Humm, they should make a movie about that.
Last edited by Quick61; Dec 06, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2011, 03:27 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Just learned that the Dmq is not decimetre cube, it is decimetre quadra or squared. just lost in translation. Humm, they should make a movie about that.
It is an age old problem that still bedevils us.

NASA didn't make a movie, but they destroyed a multi-million dollar space craft a few years ago when someone forgot to convert meters of altitude into feet and the computer controlled retro-rockets didn't fire in time. The larger the project the more chance things will go wrong.

Murphy and gravity always win.

FC
Dec 07, 2011, 09:36 AM
Designing something...
Here is my latest wood build. It's getting close to being finished and it should thermal just fine.

Brian
Dec 07, 2011, 09:44 AM
≡LSF8067≡
WOW! That's one big ass wing, Brian! Very cool looking. What's the span, about 170"?
Dec 07, 2011, 09:54 AM
Designing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
WOW! That's one big ass wing, Brian! Very cool looking. What's the span, about 170"?
Almost...It's 4.1 meters or ~161.5". Definitely the biggest R/C plane that I've ever besigned and built.

Brian
Dec 07, 2011, 01:00 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Hi Brian

Wow talk about wood city boy that bird is really neat, is it for slope only or can you get it up with a winch too.

Do you have any build pics to show us fans.

What color will you finish your wing?

As a scratch builder i'am impressed by your design work.

G Don
Dec 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
Designing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Brian

Wow talk about wood city boy that bird is really neat, is it for slope only or can you get it up with a winch too.

Do you have any build pics to show us fans.

What color will you finish your wing?

As a scratch builder i'am impressed by your design work.

G Don
It's a 1/5 scale Horten IIIe which means it's motorized. The plan is to launch it via a short Hosemonster bungee and then climb on motor power up to thermalling height.

I have build pics here. I also have a discussion of the CAD design here.

The open structures will be covered with Sig Koverall. The rest of the birch plywood will probably be stained with MINWAX "Natural" and varnished with a MINWAX urethane.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Brian
Dec 07, 2011, 03:21 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Hey... where's the rest of it? (It's a joke, son, a joke!)
Dec 07, 2011, 04:07 PM
Looks like what disappeared in Iran recently. Nice build.
Dec 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdude
bigass flying wing
Oh hell yeah man! I'm in the process of designing and building a flying wing-based glider at the moment. Mine will most likely be in the 60~70" range for ease of transport.

One question - how you transporting that massive craft?

- boingk
Dec 07, 2011, 04:29 PM
Designing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk View Post
Oh hell yeah man! I'm in the process of designing and building a flying wing-based glider at the moment. Mine will most likely be in the 60~70" range for ease of transport.

One question - how you transporting that massive craft?

- boingk
It breaks down into three pieces (center and two wing panels). Each of the wing panels is a little under 2 meters long (~76")

Brian
Dec 07, 2011, 07:06 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Brian, that is NEAT! When's the maiden? *heads over to the build log*

The suspense is killing me: I have a plane in the mail-- tracking says it's on the truck, I've been checking it all day, almost every half hour.
Dec 07, 2011, 07:15 PM
Designing something...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Brian, that is NEAT! When's the maiden? *heads over to the build log*

The suspense is killing me: I have a plane in the mail-- tracking says it's on the truck, I've been checking it all day, almost every half hour.
I dont have a date picked yet. Whenever I do that the plane gods always seem to conspire against me. I'd say at least a few more weeks depending on the number of interruptions.

Okay I'll bite! What plane do you have coming today??

Brian
Dec 07, 2011, 07:48 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
A gently loved ASK-21 foamy from Hobby King originally. It needs some TLC where the wing joiner goes in the fuse, but that sounds easy.

I have wanted one of these ever since I saw the one at the airshow that first day.
Dec 07, 2011, 08:13 PM

Oly III Build Photos

Have the high res build photos ever been compiled?

From post #287(dwells) - #288(seanpcola):

"Hey Steve,

Between us Olymen, we probably have hundreds of high res O3 build pics that have never even been posted on the forum, I know I have. With your wordsmithing abilities and sense of organization, I'll bet you could put together a very comprehensive, photo rich how to. I'd be happy to help with photo cropping/detailing/highlighting or whatever.

Don"

"Don and Steve, I'll pitch in too. I didn't get tons of photos but have a few to contribute. "

Thanks.
Last edited by SHVentus; Dec 07, 2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Forhot to mention that this was from painpainters build log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116949&highligh

Quick Reply