This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 14, 2011, 07:58 AM
Another one on the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Well YS imho something is not right !

First of all, the GE Silcone should cure in 1-2 days. So in your case there's one mystery ??

Second, I have used duct tape for years, and there's no way in hell it will ever pull off by itself So I don't really know what's going on

http://www.lowes.com/pd_166783-133-1...7C1&facetInfo=
Don't know what to tell you, Herb... The GE glue must have been bad. I just realized that even when I bought it, it was past its expiration sate. I use exactly the same duct tape you are... It was ripped right at the seam between the fan and the tube...
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
Another one on the way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostoman
how do you duct tape the bottom of the ducts and the EDF?
I don't...
Nov 14, 2011, 01:09 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
YS, you know a nice and tight long zip-tie around the back of the fan (as well as at the front) might be a good way of ensuring the rear duct stays on for a while, till the silicone cures.

You can pull the zip-tie around then fan with a hemostat or similar tool. Or even with a string. If one zip-tie is too short, you can connect two to each other...

Nov 14, 2011, 01:16 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by heychas
... Herb - can't wait to see that dusk video w/ strobe light!
Me too ... Apparently the video came out real nice, but the person saved it on a MAC. So The disk he gave me has a .mov file which isn't recognized by Windows 7, Chrome, vlc, mediaplayer, avc, quicktime, sony vegas 10, or youtube ("upload failed, unrecognized video format") !!

Apple/mac video editing software uses some video codecs that nobody else has/uses ...
Nov 15, 2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:
YS, you know a nice and tight long zip-tie around the back of the fan (as well as at the front) might be a good way of ensuring the rear duct stays on for a while, till the silicone cures.

You can pull the zip-tie around then fan with a hemostat or similar tool. Or even with a string. If one zip-tie is too short, you can connect two to each other...

thanks for the info
Nov 17, 2011, 05:00 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Testing new Turnigy 36mm inrunner EDF motor, kv=1900 , $47 :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...90mm_EDF_.html

Motor weighs 249g, fits the WeMoTec Midifan perfectly,

Last edited by Herb; Nov 19, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Nov 17, 2011, 09:06 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Quote:

Nice. Just happen to have a ChangeSun 90mm fan NIB.
I will be interested in your test results. Thanks for testing it.

Right now I have a ChangeSun with the 1900kv outrunner in my T-45.
5lbs of thrust on 6S 4900mah Rhino and she will climb to 400' agl at an 80 deg angle in about 3 seconds from a horizontal position of about 50' agl....

The plane is awesome with only 6S and the ChangeSun fan....Best Jet Ever...
(at least for me)

JR
Nov 18, 2011, 10:52 AM
Fly now crash later
Quote:

This is great, Still waiting on mine to leave HK. lol.
Looking forward to your test results.
Nov 18, 2011, 01:31 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
We shall see on that motor ... I already thought their $19 inrunner motor B36-56 was pretty good in the Midifan, lasted me two years of continuous flying abuse on 6S Bought even a backup that I never used.

CMP T-45 now on sale at $139 :

http://www.nitroplanes.com/cmpfitedfjet.html

They still have the T-45 struts where I got them a year ago:

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...ory_Code=LDERS

( ERS-Strut-G )
Nov 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
Fly now crash later
Quote:
We shall see on that motor ... I already thought their $19 inrunner motor B36-56 was pretty good in the Midifan, lasted me two years of continuous flying abuse on 6S Bought even a backup that I never used.
I have the same motor, Running on 7S proved to be the break point. The 2 minutes it lasted was pretty awesome though
Nov 18, 2011, 09:19 PM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"
Herb - Thanks for the info on the sale. I was hoping for a deal on Thanksgiving internet Monday, but this seems like a good deal for me... and by the way, the pricepickle coupon code still works for 6% off. I appreciate the great info in this thread.

Herb - I'm very interested in hearing the results of the testing you are doing regarding the Turnigy 36mm inrunnner.

All - I've noticed that many are worried about the thrust angle of the exhaust tube regarding the plane clmbing while excellarating. Here is my thoughts on it: the book "Stick and Rudder" first explained to me the results of areodynamic forces. It states that elevator controls angle of attack and throttle controls descent or climb rate of the aircraft. If the throttle is moved forward, it increases the airflow over the wing which will cause it to climb. In opposite, moving the throttle back slows the airflow over the wing which reduces lift and causes an airplane to descent. Hence, the climb or descent rate of an airplane is controlled by the throttle... not the elevator. This has been my personal experience flying cessna 120, 150, 172, as well as acting as a bombardier/navigator in the A-6 Intruder. Someone w/ more aeroengineering experience please correct me if I'm wrong...
Nov 18, 2011, 11:26 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by heychas
Herb - Thanks for the info on the sale. I was hoping for a deal on Thanksgiving internet Monday, but this seems like a good deal for me... and by the way, the pricepickle coupon code still works for 6% off. I appreciate the great info in this thread.

All - I've noticed that many are worried about the thrust angle of the exhaust tube regarding the plane clmbing while excellarating. ...
WEEK2 coupon code will get you 10% off on the T-45 at Nitro

I put my thrust tube out the back of the plane by 1/4 inch. It worked out that way since I used a piece of other ducting to connect to the back of the fan housing. (long story)....Any how my T-45 does not climb but very slightly with full throttle. It does not even seem to change attitude much with full flaps. What a great flying jet...Best ever for me.

My only problem is with my Castle ICE100 ESC. I posted some power readings earlier and now I find that my Castle is reading Amps 14% high. Man does that throw everything off. But since you can't calibrate the ICE100 I will just compensate each time I use it. My readings were way high for the fan and motor that I was using compared to what everyone else was getting.

Cheers, John
Nov 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Hi guys, I completely agree with what you say ...

If the T-45 has a thrust angle issue, it's too small to worry about. As I said, I myself can barely tell if there's one. Yes, throttle is the way to control descent rate, I agree. With the CMP T-45 in a slight 10mph headwind, full flaps and throttle to idle is like throwing out a boat anchor

Yes indeed the flaps cause no attitude change, and that is nice.
Nov 19, 2011, 01:58 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Just ordered this new 12-blade 90mm fan for testing

http://www.x-flight.com.hk/index.php...20Expiried!&s=

Those blades look awfully delicate ...

Picture from internet :

Last edited by Herb; Nov 19, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Nov 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
Lithium Member
Thread OP
Installed the Springair 602 retracts with struts in my T-45 # 2

I also reinforced the mains retract mounts, I used some sort of fiberglass tape that the roofers forgot at my house ...

Last edited by Herb; Nov 21, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply