Nov 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thread OP
Stan

hows the wind in Nebraska? still waiting to hear how the test flight of your wot-a-fokker went?

Doml
yours should be ready for flying this weekend... where are we up to?

David
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much
Stan

hows the wind in Nebraska? still waiting to hear how the test flight of your wot-a-fokker went?

Doml

David
David,
Almost no wind this morning, so took the wot a fokker out for the maiden voyage. Hand launched it and off she went It flew quite nicely considering that The motor prop combo was not correct(under powered). I had an Emax 2805 motor with a three cell lipo and 9X5 GWS prop. I made a few circles and it flew great. It needed a only slight bit of up trim, So I would say it was a sucess. It was really under powered as I had to stay wot to keep any elevation. I brought it down to exchange the motor with an Emax 2812 with the same 9x5prop. Now the wind is blowing, so I hope this evening I can give it another go.
I had my helmet cam on, but I did not have the cam aimed right so i got no video of the wot a fokker and a lot of video of the sky . Maybe later today I can fly it again. Update to follow
I think I am going to like the wot a fokker

Stan

Stan
Nov 11, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerXll
David,
Almost no wind this morning, so took the wot a fokker out for the maiden voyage. Hand launched it and off she went It flew quite nicely considering that The motor prop combo was not correct(under powered). I had an Emax 2805 motor with a three cell lipo and 9X5 GWS prop. I made a few circles and it flew great. It needed a only slight bit of up trim, So I would say it was a sucess. It was really under powered as I had to stay wot to keep any elevation. I brought it down to exchange the motor with an Emax 2812 with the same 9x5prop. Now the wind is blowing, so I hope this evening I can give it another go.
I had my helmet cam on, but I did not have the cam aimed right so i got no video of the wot a fokker and a lot of video of the sky . Maybe later today I can fly it again. Update to follow
I think I am going to like the wot a fokker

Stan

Stan
Stan

thats great news... the fact it did a couple of circuits and made it safetly back to earth while totally underpowered..... other models would have tip-stalled and fallen out of the sky!

just wait till you try it "overpowered" like my two....

its grin factor nine

David
Nov 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Stan

Doml

David
Was hoping to be too, local shop was out of the shocky horns and carbon, picked up on the way home today, Carbon spar now CA'd inplace. Just noticed the dowl is slightly larger, depron is measuring 5.5mm, guessing this won't be to much of a problem? will have the wing done tonight to allow hinge to 'set' properly before waggling.
Nov 11, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by domll
Was hoping to be too, local shop was out of the shocky horns and carbon, picked up on the way home today, Carbon spar now CA'd inplace. Just noticed the dowl is slightly larger, depron is measuring 5.5mm, guessing this won't be to much of a problem? will have the wing done tonight to allow hinge to 'set' properly before waggling.
nice!
dont worry about the dowel size.. all the stuff i have is way undersize.. b&q obviously dont have a tolerence for minimum and maximum sizes! when combined with the carbon spar the wing is really strong.

(note to our friends accross the pond from the UK... B&Q are the biggest DIY chain in the UK... just huge! at least one in every town! and everything they sell is errrrrm.... you get my drift! no sorry! dont buy a drift from B&Q)

well done that man! never wiggle your waggly bits before they are ready!!

David
Nov 11, 2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Stan

thats great news... the fact it did a couple of circuits and made it safetly back to earth while totally underpowered..... other models would have tip-stalled and fallen out of the sky!

just wait till you try it "overpowered" like my two....

its grin factor nine

David
David
Just got back in from flying the wot a fokker with a bigger motor and 3 cell lipo. So much easier to fly with a motor of adequate size. Flies perfectly, no wing tipping, flies straight and level nice smooth turns. Will go almost vertical. I have the throws set quite mild on the ailerons. I always do that for first flights Iam less likely to over correct by doing that. Tomorrow I am going to take the TX off of low rates and see how it goes.
Thanks again for the plans It is a hoot to fly. Only problem flying this afternoon was that the wind did not stop blowing early enough so I was able to fly only two batteries before the sun light was gone............the time when I tend to crash
I tried to video tape again but still do not have the cam adjusted right Maybe tomorrow I willhave more time to adjust the cam.
Stan
Last edited by VoyagerXll; Nov 12, 2011 at 01:30 AM.
Nov 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
Finally got a video taken of the wot-a fokker and you can see the plane so here it is. Snoopy vs Barron von Snicker Doodle
Snoopy vs Barron von Snicker Doodle (4 min 7 sec)
Last edited by VoyagerXll; Nov 12, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Nov 13, 2011, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Stan

well done! thanks for taking the time to share, looks as steady as a rock in the air.. she will take a lot of throwing around once you get the feel for it, handles the wind pretty good too and you can stand it still and let it drift backwards etc. due to the really soft stall.
am off out to put another half dozen batteries through mine in a minute

looks like Baron von wingover has a friend at last

thanks again

David
Nov 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Stan

well done! thanks for taking the time to share, looks as steady as a rock in the air.. s
thanks again

David
David
Steady is almost an understatement for the way it flies. Fast or slow it tends to fly nice and smooth. When you slow down with some of the other foamies I have, they often tend to "wing wobble" a bit, I have not had that happen with the wot a fokker, I have not tried barrel rolls yet I like to get use to a plane before i do something that may cause it to unexpectedly kiss the terra firma. The emax 2822 motor has enough power to go almost vertical. Having a bit extra power adds to the fun factor It is too windy this morning maybe later this afternoon.
Stan
Nov 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
This is how far i have managed to get this weekend: travelled down to London yesterday with my father for today's remembrance parade, just home about an hour ago.
Airframe and all installations will be completed tomorrow evening. now just to decide on colours?
Nov 13, 2011, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by domll
This is how far i have managed to get this weekend: travelled down to London yesterday with my father for today's remembrance parade, just home about an hour ago.
Airframe and all installations will be completed tomorrow evening. now just to decide on colours?
Dom
that looks a really neat job, not a lot left to do at that stage. if you are going to do the carbon pushrods like mine then drop another former in the fuselage halfway between the tailplane and the back of the servo tray, it will help support the pushrods in the middle,

extra former can be seen in this photo..

took my two to the club field for the first time today, it was really windy and nobody wanted to fly... till i let them all have a go with the wot nexts... they were all impressed how well they flew on such a windy afternoon

now they all want one!

David
Nov 14, 2011, 04:47 AM
Great model.

Original design is without any aerofoil?
Nov 14, 2011, 07:46 AM
who put that tree there
good job there stan how you finding it on emax 2822 im using apc 8x4 same motor on my wot taube ..pics further back in thread..
flies great on it now fitted out with strip leds.
getting loads of watchers at field commenting on it..
Nov 14, 2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcel
Great model.

Original design is without any aerofoil?
you are correct, it is a flat wing but flies great
stan
Nov 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44
good job there stan how you finding it on emax 2822 im using apc 8x4 same motor on my wot taube ..pics further back in thread..
flies great on it now fitted out with strip leds.
getting loads of watchers at field commenting on it..

Thanks Dazza

I went back to see your rendition of the "Wot Now"...... Cool wings on yours. How does it turn with the wing you used?
I have enough problems flying when it gets towards dusk, I tend to loose orientation, so do not think flying with lights in the dark would work for me.

The emax 2822 w/ 9x5 prop gives me all the power I need. I went out this morning to fly mine but before I got coffee finished and plane ready the wind was starting to blow I flew it for about 4 minutes. It was pretty gusty and the plane was getting buffeted quite a bit so decided to land and wait for a calmer day................sure did not want to crash it so early in its life.

My nephew saw mine flying yesterday and said that he is going to build one too.

Stan

Quick Reply