Nov 09, 2011, 09:53 PM
sorry guys ,ill do another vid on vimeo
Last edited by ronbo111; Nov 09, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 09, 2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo111
McFoamy XL at JR Indoor http://youtu.be/Vt_mne1-j7Y

Looks like youtube blocked the video due to copyright ? ... I would upload it to Vimeo ... they wont block it.

http://vimeo.com/
Nov 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo111
sorry guys ,ill do another vid on vimeo
ronbo, were you able to get the video uploaded to vimeo?
Nov 11, 2011, 09:48 AM
I was able to finish my XL last evening. I think it turned nice and was a very easy build. The cool thing about building EPP foam planes is there is always room to experiment with how to do things. I changed the trussing on mine a little just to see how it flies. I'm not worried that it won't fly right as it's pretty hard to mess up a foamy.

When I finished it up last night it was well past dark, about 30 degrees out with blowning snow. Sounds like perfect conditions to conduct a maiden flight......in my garage. I just slapped a battery on it and let it go without trimming it or fine tuning the cg. I talked my lovely bride of 30+ years to shoot a little video and the video shows just how easy this plane is to hover. I actually had to make it torque roll. Those of you who are looking for a hover trainer this is the plane.

Hoping to test fly it outside in a few minutes.

McFoamy XL Garage Hover (0 min 54 sec)
Nov 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
He Reigns
Thread OP
Nice video, I like the trussing on the stab!
Nov 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
I was able to finish my XL last evening. I think it turned nice and was a very easy build. The cool thing about building EPP foam planes is there is always room to experiment with how to do things. I changed the trussing on mine a little just to see how it flies. I'm not worried that it won't fly right as it's pretty hard to mess up a foamy.

When I finished it up last night it was well past dark, about 30 degrees out with blowning snow. Sounds like perfect conditions to conduct a maiden flight......in my garage. I just slapped a battery on it and let it go without trimming it or fine tuning the cg. I talked my lovely bride of 30+ years to shoot a little video and the video shows just how easy this plane is to hover. I actually had to make it torque roll. Those of you who are looking for a hover trainer this is the plane.

Hoping to test fly it outside in a few minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDRU8AtymfE
Nicely done ... I think that is going to be a new favorite truss method on the H stab.

Gona put this video on the site as well as the text.

It is up on the site ...
Last edited by WMParkFlyer; Nov 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Nov 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Quote:
I'm making some progress on mine again. Motor and servos are now installed along with the control horns glued in. Just need to install the pushrods and it will be good to go. I'm really anxious to get this flying after putting a few flights on bdiesel3's XL. Just a really good flying plane.

One of the things many don't realize about wmparkflyers.com is that each one of these planes is inspected by the owner (Greg) before it is shipped. Greg cuts all the kits out with his own lazer cutter, does almost all the painting, and takes them to the post office himself. Everything is done in house (literally in his house) so quality control and parts fit is excellent. Plus how many kit producers let you custom choose your colors for no extra charge. They also prehinge and install the spars on the 34" kits, you will need to glue the wing halves together and glue the spar in on the XL but it is still prehinged. All this at an extremely affordable price.

Good stuff.
Where did you get that plywood x mount
Nov 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff
Where did you get that plywood x mount
Send Greg an email. I suggested this to Greg and this is what he whipped up for me. Still in the testing phase yet, in otherwords I haven't smashed it into the ground yet.

By the way, how was the JR indoor?
Nov 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Ok cool
Nov 11, 2011, 11:31 AM

Maiden flight report

All I can say is this one gets two thumbs up. The maiden went very very good. I only had one battery with me but it was an absolute blast. I still really like the versatility of the McFoamy design. It can be very smooth for precision and general circle flying but it does excellent 3d also. I wasn't able to get any video this morning but I will very soon. I had a lot of fun dragging the rudder inverted in the fresh dusting of snow we received last evening.

My set up is a hodge-podge of equipment I had in the shop:

Exceed Rocket 2210-1200 motor.
GWS 9x5DD prop.
Castle Creations Thunderbird 18a esc.
Spectrum 6110E receiver.
Hitec HS-65HB servos.
Rhino 3s/750 20c with a lot of flights on it.

I have more batteries coming early next week and will post updates as I fly it. Everyone needs to get one of these.
Nov 11, 2011, 11:38 AM
Why not a 10x4.7 SF?
Nov 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
Another thing concerning wmparkflyer.com kits. They are never out of stock. Greg's lazer cutter is in house and all kits are always in stock.
Nov 11, 2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710
Why not a 10x4.7 SF?
I didn't have one on hand.

Infact I swipped this one off my wmparkflyers.com MX2 indoor plane.
Nov 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Another thing concerning wmparkflyer.com kits. They are never out of stock. Greg's lazer cutter is in house and all kits are always in stock.
We have enough foam in house for 1200 planes ... if that is gone before we can reorder ... then we will be out of stock

GM
Nov 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
I didn't have one on hand.

Infact I swipped this one off my wmparkflyers.com MX2 indoor plane.
I was just curious because the plane and powerplant seem to be about right for a 10x4.7. I normally like to have the biggest diameter prop I can use to give high thrust and slow speed (when you are pretty much stuck with park flying--which means landing on baseball fields for me--having the speed bug just doesn't work!).

Quick Reply