Nov 06, 2011, 09:33 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
Nope, won't be flying this one without retracts. I'm trying to get away from that but its expensive I'm also not so sure that it would be easy to plumb them in later on, thats the main reason. I'm in no rush, and it's been fun playing around with the motor.

So I couldn't resist and got the motor mounted up. It looks good. I will calll Zinger tomorrow for the 4.5" spinner and once I get that I can finalize the location. Here are some pics.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2011, 09:56 PM
Onward and Upward.
Looking good!

Randy
Nov 07, 2011, 06:44 PM
Cool Scott! Thanks for the pics! Walter
Nov 07, 2011, 08:38 PM
Onward and Upward.
Last edited by PilatusPC12; Dec 22, 2017 at 12:07 AM.
Nov 07, 2011, 10:05 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
I got the bearings today and installed them. They are MUCH smoother than the stock bearings. The install is pretty easy. You just pop out the old ones and pop in the new ones. The relatively hard part is getting the new ones in without damaging them. On my Turnigy 5065 I dented one of the covers but it doesn’t seem to affect bearing function so I am going to leave it. On this motor I was nobody’s fool and found something that covered the whole bearing while I tapped it in. Finally, I ordered a thrust bearing for the front bell to push against instead of just a collar and two bushings. Can’t wait to run it up.
Nov 07, 2011, 10:08 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12
Wow Scott,

if this keeps up, I'm going to have to build one! I think it will be the Seafang though as I love the Navy birds. Although, the Mk 47 Seafire looks pretty good also. Tough choices.

Randy
I love the Mk47 also, beautiful plane. Seagull has one I think that would be a good size for this motor, however I don’t think anyone in the US carries it. And it does not have the Griffon blisters on the cowl, MAJOR party foul.
Nov 08, 2011, 11:35 AM
Do you have any links for the new bearings? I recently ordered the same motor from HK and i plan to replace the bearings too.
Thanks.
Nov 08, 2011, 12:13 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
I purchased the bearings from BOCA, great people to do business with and offer reasonably priced quality bearings. The two shaft bearings are 6mmx13mmx5mm I believe and the thrust bearing is 6mmx12mm. I will double check this evening.
Nov 08, 2011, 03:47 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound
Do you have any links for the new bearings? I recently ordered the same motor from HK and i plan to replace the bearings too.
Thanks.
BTW, let me know if you have any questions on the motor. I have ripped it apart quite a few times and if you run into a problem chances are I have probably delt with it already.
Last edited by scatsob; Nov 09, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
Nov 10, 2011, 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob
I love the Mk47 also, beautiful plane. Seagull has one I think that would be a good size for this motor, however I don’t think anyone in the US carries it. And it does not have the Griffon blisters on the cowl, MAJOR party foul.
Scott,
This is why I'm very interested in your build; I have the Seagull Seafire.
The Griffon blisters shouldn't be a big deal; some vacuformed parts will solve that.

Cheers,
Peter
Nov 10, 2011, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatsob
BTW, let me know if you have any questions on the motor. I have ripped it apart quite a few times and if you run into a problem chances are I have probably delt with it already.
I'm still waiting for the package, but i'm sure i'll have quite a few questions once i start working on the motor.

I'm very interested to see some test data. I plan to use the motor in a 5kg pattern model, aiming at 3000W input power. Will try 8s/motor on 16x10 MA props, but ideally i'd like to use 5s/motor with 20x13 APC propellers.
Nov 10, 2011, 06:12 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
Peter- I know the blisters wouldnt be a huge deal, unfortunately for me I'm not at the point in my life where I have the time or resources to do much custom work. Once my four kids are a little more grown up that should change.

BH-I am hoping that with the MA props on 6 cells Ill get 3Kw input power. On 8s im pretty sure it will be closer to 4Kw.

Im trying to get a PC power supply to convert and once I do Ill get some batteries charged and see what she can do. Luckily I also have two wattmeters so I can actually get input power to both motors at the same time.
Nov 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
I have been reading this thread subscribed.
Nov 13, 2011, 07:18 AM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
Thread OP
Sorry for the slow progress guys, it will probably continue for the rest of the build. My holdup right now is the power supply. I have not had good luck with the computer units I have converted so I am going to buy the 350 wattt one from Hobbypartz. Once I get a supply I will run the motor up as soon as humanly possible and try my best to post a video.

I also found a servo that I think will work. It’s a Tyrnigy digital that gets good reviews and is good for 75 oz-in at 6 volts. It’s also tiny so balance shouldn’t be an issue.
Nov 13, 2011, 09:39 AM
Scott have you seen these?
http://www.wingspanretracts.com/LGM695

Quick Reply