Nov 01, 2011, 04:10 AM
This helicopter smells funny
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS
Thanks Scott. I bought the $3.99 programmer, it makes sense since it's cheaper than posting my gyro to you and back anyway.

Tell me, why load the bootloader at all if we still need something special to load via serial ?
).(I have a USB Serial to TTL dongle if that's whats needed
Cheers,
Martin
(Tell me, why load the bootloader at all if we still need something special to load via serial ?)
I suppose you don't have to do any re-soldering onto the gyro board to update a new program, you just use the gain connector plugged into the serial programmer cruzado's blog shows how. http://freecode4ga250.blogspot.com/
If you don't load the bootloader but just the program, the gyro will only boot up if you connect the power twice, with bootloader it flashes red for 4 seconds then goes blue.

(I have a USB Serial to TTL dongle if that's whats needed)
I just bought one of them yesterday to try and use the gain connector to reprogram the gyro, still need to get the nand chip at jaycar, tera term seems to work on my computer so i will see if it works soon.

Cheers Scott
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2011, 06:31 AM
as much as I can
Thanks for all your time spent on this, Scott. It will be a big help to a lot of people.

My 450 with the strap on gyro mount is ready for testing. Cruzado's next firmware update should make this gyro very configurable. We can all work together to find the best settings to make this gyro rock.

I'd suggest everyone who changes to this firmware covers the name on the gyro. We don't want anyone thinking it's still the original firmware and racing out to buy one.

Perhaps pitchp can use his excellent graphical skills to create a new label for us to stick over the old one.

David
Nov 01, 2011, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying
I'd suggest everyone who changes to this firmware covers the name on the gyro.
That is a good idea!
Nov 01, 2011, 04:13 PM
Looptastic!
Last week I ordered a USB ISP programmer board on ebay for my incoming T9X transmitter. now i see it can also re-program my assan GA-250 with it What a luck!
I still have one 450 with a hk401b gyro (that does works well on there). If the new firmware is better i might flash it and put in on that bird.

Count me in for some testing soon!
Nov 01, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for the late answers but I was out for a few days.

It is not possible to read the original firmware because it is protected. We can only erase the chip and reprogram it.

Why it's important the bootloader?
- Because the bootloader allows the application update without the need to open the gyro again and solder the wires again.
- Because only with the bootloader it's possible to change the configuration parameters with a PC program (to be built) or a prog box (to be built).

I use the PonyProg (http://www.lancos.com/prog.html) to program the gyro the first time, but I'm not sure if it is compatible with the programmers announced on Ebay.

Once you have the bootloader programmed you can upload the application through the gain connector (please see the blog http://freecode4ga250.blogspot.com/). The extra circuit (nands) is just to avoid the AvrProg to receive what is sending because the communication is done through 1 wire instead of 2.

Any doubts let me know!
Last edited by cruzado; Nov 01, 2011 at 07:32 PM.
Nov 01, 2011, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvisco
Sorry mate i have already tried that, the old program wont work when reloaded on the gyro again. cheers Scott
Good to know. Once we start, the old stuff is gone.

It is fair that the original code is protected.

We'll need a spare one if we want to compare the behaviour then.

Thanks.
Nov 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
as much as I can
I won't need to compare. I know it will be better than the current GA250 firmware.
Nov 02, 2011, 01:32 AM
The art of airbrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman
Last week I ordered a USB ISP programmer board on ebay for my incoming T9X transmitter. now i see it can also re-program my assan GA-250 with it What a luck!
sp00fman says "aanbieding".......
Nov 02, 2011, 08:48 AM
Very interesting project, can't wait for the final version! Lets make it as good as Tarot GY650 or even better! Good work Cruzado!!!
Nov 03, 2011, 04:37 AM

Ga250 hex file's

I have compiled a 70hz 250hz 280hz and 333hz hex files for the ga250 gyro, they have the bootloader combined in them so you can update them, if there is any other speeds anyone needs just post it. cheers Scott
Last edited by scottyvisco; Nov 03, 2011 at 05:49 AM.
Nov 03, 2011, 05:04 AM
Thanks Scotty! What about 333hz? It seems like many digital servos can run on that frequency
Nov 03, 2011, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3tras
Thanks Scotty! What about 333hz? It seems like many digital servos can run on that frequency
Done cheers Scott
Nov 03, 2011, 05:19 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Scott!
Is there any servo 1520us/560Hz ?
Nov 03, 2011, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzado
Thanks Scott!
I never saw one. Only 760us/560Hz
Nov 03, 2011, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzado
Thanks Scott!
The leader hobby gy520 has it as one of the default speeds just put it in in case someone had the gy52o and wanted to compare gyro's but you are right the hex will still be 1520 will delete it

cheers Scott

Quick Reply