Oct 31, 2011, 11:27 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
How much of a 'big deal' is this...I have a similar issue with my AXN that's been through one to many crashes...but otherwise has been fixed.
I think it's a matter of degree.....the all important question is, how does it fly? When it comes to how much of an issue, I think of how I was surprised after watching videos from on-plane cameras which showed the control surfaces in flight, how much reaction you get from t-i-n-y control surface movements. It'll take a bit of doing, but I can upload an example to show if there's interest.

I remember being concerned I didn't have much 'range' of adjustment from my radio's trim controls, from watching (measuring, even) the little they did move from one end of adjustment range to the other. Turns out, they have PLENTY of effect on the plane.

So....again how does it fly? It might look misaligned as all heck, but if it's flying straight & true, with controls & trims centered.....no'm sayin'?

Keep in mind, a lot of mechanical trim can be applied just by adjusting pushrod length with clevis position.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Here's one of my winter projects... a big box of balsa....
I plan to make it electric though

And here's the second project.
I like the biplane! May just do one of those myself. A bit bigger than most. Like that. I even have a motor just about the right size for it! Will look for a thread on it.

Gord
Last edited by Gordks; Nov 01, 2011 at 12:36 AM.
Nov 01, 2011, 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100
The horizontal stab and wing are wonky (not square) to the fuselage. Below is your picture with some lines picking up the axis.

How much of a 'big deal' is this...I have a similar issue with my AXN that's been through one to many crashes...but otherwise has been fixed.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments folks.
As embarassing as it is i think it may be a case of the horizontal and vertical stab being out of square. Along with the main wing being twisted. Which, when added all together results in a plane that is not pleasant to fly at all!
I've decided to go with one change at a time and "test-fly" it to see if there is any improvement. First thing being the vertical stab, which i've removed and about to hopefully glue back on properly this time. And if the crappy UK weather ever improves i'll i then fly it!...
Just a thought. I'm using a heavy esc and ubec. 100 grams to be procise!!
I've attached it via velcro to the inside of the battery compartment, stuck to the right-hand side/wall of the fusalage. As the nose of the plane is quite wide in comparison to the rest of its fus, is it possible it may be dragging this side of the fus down causing it to bank right like it's out of trim??

Well i flew it!.......
It flew fine but still needed a large amount of aileron trim to keep her level.
Saved me alot of work! Considering i was about to strip extra cf rods out the wing!
Didn't push her at all as it was it's first "real" flight. I had an 8 minute flight and used 1380 mah out of my Rhyno 2250mah 3s. So i'll increase flight time by a minute and have another look at comsumption.
It's a very strange feeling flying the Bixler. Never flown a glider before but getting used to it is good fun!!
Last edited by Jam1e; Nov 01, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Nov 01, 2011, 05:29 AM
Gravity impaired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I like the biplane! May just do one of those myself. A bit bigger than most. Like that. I even have a motor just about the right size for it! Will look for a thread on it.

Gord
Here's a good one
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25..._1/key_/tm.htm
Nov 01, 2011, 06:17 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The horizontal stab and wing are wonky (not square) to the fuselage. Below is your picture with some lines picking up the axis.
Hi Prof1000

Could you please tell me what happens if I fly with this amount of misalignment ??

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Nov 01, 2011, 07:23 AM
I think I may have a solution to my little weight problem... The way I see it, at this point the foam is just dead weight so I think I'm gonna go ahead and make a full carbonfiber/kevlar plane. Just cut out the middle man AKA==>foam and go for full carbon... What do you think? I mean it was ~24-26 oz with the foam before all my modifications, I figure I'll end up with a stiffer/stronger airframe at about half the weight of the original (perhaps lighter) as my AUW after my mods which will be ~48oz. Might weight a bit more if the metal servos I ordered weight a lot more then the stock ones... I could tear out all the stock plastic servos and put that into the carbon plane and then put the metal ones into the foamie.
Nov 01, 2011, 07:24 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Nice motor. What is the difference between the 2836-22 & the 2835 kv3900?
Sorry .. but I can't provide such information as I'm still learning and I lack that kind of knowledge ... I'm glad Prof100 has given you the proper answer

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Nov 01, 2011, 08:52 AM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
How do you route the 30" -- is there a portion just left dangling free, I'd guess, behind the plane? (As opposed to doubling it back somewhere along the line.)
And, from a couple of PM's I've gotten, it sounds like Tx signals aren't affected by foam, but are by CF and metal plating type surfaces. Which seems to suggest you could just run the long antenna back thru the fuse to the tail, & either double it back (if that's 'allowed') or, let it emerge from that tiny hole at the extreme back end.

There's more to the story - basically, a part of why I'm asking - but let's cover that first & I'll get more into it later.
It runs out a hole under the canopy along the lower fuse seam through a small tube ca'ed to the seam. I don't remember if the tube came with the SkyS or if I used one from a EZ I had laying around. Rest hangs out the back.
Coiling the antenna or running it back onto itself is not a good idea. It shortens the range quite a bit. I found this out the hard way with a heli (may it rest in pieces).
Nuttin to show pic wise. All my pics are on the home pc back in NJ as is the SkyS......so I leave you with this..
Nov 01, 2011, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
I think I may have a solution to my little weight problem... The way I see it, at this point the foam is just dead weight so I think I'm gonna go ahead and make a full carbonfiber/kevlar plane. Just cut out the middle man AKA==>foam and go for full carbon... What do you think? I mean it was ~24-26 oz with the foam before all my modifications, I figure I'll end up with a stiffer/stronger airframe at about half the weight of the original (perhaps lighter) as my AUW after my mods which will be ~48oz. Might weight a bit more if the metal servos I ordered weight a lot more then the stock ones... I could tear out all the stock plastic servos and put that into the carbon plane and then put the metal ones into the foamie.
Go for it i say. It's all about experimenting....
Nov 01, 2011, 10:17 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
It runs out a hole under the canopy along the lower fuse seam through a small tube ca'ed to the seam. I don't remember if the tube came with the SkyS or if I used one from a EZ I had laying around. Rest hangs out the back.
Coiling the antenna or running it back onto itself is not a good idea. It shortens the range quite a bit. I found this out the hard way with a heli (may it rest in pieces).
Nuttin to show pic wise. All my pics are on the home pc back in NJ as is the SkyS......so I leave you with this..
Must be a NJ troll. The FL troll would have a tan!

Ted
Nov 01, 2011, 02:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post

Ted
Where the Sun don't shine???
Somebody got some 'splainin' to do, Loosey!
Nov 01, 2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi Prof1000

Could you please tell me what happens if I fly with this amount of misalignment ??

Thanks a lot

Khaled
Khaled,

If I flew the plane I would be trimming the ailerons to get it to fly level. I would land the plane and put in the aileron trim mechanically and readjust the radio trims to zero.

My LED lit Skysurfer suffered numerous tip stalls and mangled the nose pretty bad. Even after repair the odd shaped refinished fuselage affected how it flew. It wanted to roll left. I adjusted trims and flight perfromance is reasonable.

Loops can be done but may not track perfectly.

Bill
Last edited by Prof100; Nov 01, 2011 at 09:44 PM.
Nov 01, 2011, 08:48 PM
i Like RC
I'm sure someone has posted this somewhere already but I'll never stumble upon it so I'll ask.

I have a sky surfer v1 and want to get another as a kit. Is the BH sky surfer worth the extra $10 (plus another extra $10 shipping) than the Bixler v1 kit?
Nov 01, 2011, 09:25 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube

GoPro Mount for Bixler

I finally broke down and upgraded my onboard camera to a GoPro HD. After I got it I realized I wasn't sure how to mount the thing on the plane. Here is what I came up with for the mount.

GoPro Mount for Bixler Glider (20 min 13 sec)

I'm putting together a flight test video also.

-Mike
Nov 01, 2011, 09:34 PM
Nakelp
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post

Ted
hey, back off bud, we get some sun here too :-))
LOLOL

Quick Reply