Aug 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
All this talk of the SR-71 has motivated me to get mine back in the air! Swapping out a nose gear servo and added rotating beacons should do the trick! Pics to come!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2011, 11:39 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
I'm putting my new airframe together this weekend. I hope to have the awesome thrust mod from Joe working as well. I'll definitely update with pics and video. Where can I get those rotating beacons?!
Aug 26, 2011, 01:34 PM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros
I'm putting my new airframe together this weekend. I hope to have the awesome thrust mod from Joe working as well. I'll definitely update with pics and video. Where can I get those rotating beacons?!
They are from e-flite!
Aug 26, 2011, 01:47 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Sweet, thanks. Do you happen to have a link? What an awesome final touch.
Aug 30, 2011, 04:03 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
#17972 is getting ready for her maiden. Thanks to Callie of Callie Graphics as usual for the decals. Joe I'm having my builder buddy take a look at the afterburner setup to help me hook it all up properly. Hopefully I will have it ready to go by this weekend.
Aug 31, 2011, 02:42 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Well crud. I just can't get these thrust tubes to work. I tape them together then they come apart. Plus figuring out how to get the circumference to but up against the EDF with the wires sticking out of the motors...I wish I had good build/engineering/mechanical skills. So I won't be adding them unfortunately. I know I will be sacrificing some MPHs.

Joe, I need to figure out how to re-soder those mini 2-prong connectors so they will work with my setup (two E-flite 60amp ESCs with their 3-prong connectors going to the receiver). I've installed the afterburners and have the wires running to the mid section so I can connect them at a later time once I can figure it out.

I'm frustrated that I don't have the knowledge and skill to get these two awesome mods to work.
Aug 31, 2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Joe, I need to figure out how to re-soder those mini 2-prong connectors so they will work with my setup (two E-flite 60amp ESCs with their 3-prong connectors going to the receiver). I've installed the afterburners and have the wires running to the mid section so I can connect them at a later time once I can figure it out.

I'm frustrated that I don't have the knowledge and skill to get these two awesome mods to work.
Those hook to the battery leads, not the escs. I uncluded a Y harness so that the two prong leads hook into the Y harness, which in turn is soldered to the power leads coming off the battery connection. The three wire signal wire goes to the other three wire Y harness that hooks to channel three. (assuming of course you have a Y for the twin esc signal leads as well) I will draw up a wiring diagram for you tonight
Aug 31, 2011, 03:42 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thanks Joe. What is basic electrical stuff for most flies right over my head.

So here's what so close but so far away looks like...
Last edited by Aros.MotionRC; Aug 31, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Aug 31, 2011, 11:01 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Thread OP
Those afterburners really look great!

Don
Aug 31, 2011, 11:06 PM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
Where did you get the afterburners? Redlite and I have been talking about making a 4S version (no rudders, no whale tail, no retracts) just want SPEED!! Where did you get this kit Aros? The cones look different from mine. Looks really good BTW!
Sep 01, 2011, 12:12 AM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Thanks guys...This kit is from NP. Painted over the stock trim and used Callie Graphics to make her the 972 livery. I simply spray painted the cones (Not sure why they come red. Makes it look like a toy, IMO). Joe 1320 makes these absolutely badass afterburners which emulate the actual color range of a real afterburner and they are BRIGHT!!

You can see them in action here:

Atomic RC Workshop Afterburnerz
Sep 01, 2011, 01:23 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Does anyone know what this bird's CG sweet spot is? I know the factory recommended 78mm is too nose heavy. The afterburner kit I have installed has made it tail heavy (I'm in the 4.38in./111mm range right now, right in the middle of the main wheel housing area) so I need to know what the best CG is before I hand toss. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Aros.MotionRC; Sep 01, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
Sep 01, 2011, 09:34 PM
Shameless Warbirdaholic.
Holy CRAP these afterburners are AWESOME!!!!

Joe, they work to perfection. I couldn't be happier! Now to figure out that thrust tube mod (69mm fans) to finish her off. I have the Jetapult I am going to use for her (I have a test airframe to try it out first). My neighbor was blown away tonight!

Here's a video:

http://www.toddbreda.com/afterburner.mpg
Sep 02, 2011, 12:26 AM
"Because I was pǝʇɹǝʌuı"
Wow!! That looks AWESOME!!! Joe how do I get some?
Sep 02, 2011, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Holy CRAP these afterburners are AWESOME!!!!

Joe, they work to perfection. I couldn't be happier! Now to figure out that thrust tube mod (69mm fans) to finish her off. I have the Jetapult I am going to use for her (I have a test airframe to try it out first). My neighbor was blown away tonight!

Here's a video:

http://www.toddbreda.com/afterburner.mpg
I couldn't open the video file, but then again.... I know how they look. People just don't quite understand how good they look until they fire them up in person. Enjoy! Gotta get those thrust tubes done though, they do make a difference in the plane.

Quick Reply