Aug 12, 2011, 10:05 PM
That is a big Enya R1.20 four stroke engine.
It is a big and heavy sucker.
It is on my old Challenger II Biplane.
It was all gunked up and cruddy looking, so it got all cleaned up, new ring and new bearings too.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2011, 10:12 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks
I have a couple of Kosmic .23 RC engines. Are they collectable or valuble? Can't seem to find evidence of any changing hands on the bay. I'd like to use them for CL combat... or should they be stored out of harms way?

cheers
Simon
Simon, a bit of info here - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...6l2-5.5.1l11l0
The Kosmic engines more of a curiousity than a rare collectable, at the moment anyway. Maybe in 25 years time............ BOB
Aug 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
kill your idols
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
That is a big Enya R1.20 four stroke engine.
It is a big and heavy sucker.
It is on my old Challenger II Biplane.
It was all gunked up and cruddy looking, so it got all cleaned up, new ring and new bearings too.

it looks large
id never fly a plane that needed it but i do say it would look nice on my workbench

so whats the smallest four stroke out there that was made in large quantity

i have 21 hpvt im guessing its the smallest, what others on that range(also have a 20 or 21 surpass and 26 surpass)

also to me a cruddy dirty oil soaked and baked on engine just means its a real good engine that will probably outlast me
Aug 12, 2011, 10:30 PM

Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack
Danny and Reggy, between the both of you - is there any 4 stroke that you haven't got ? BOB
Show him that Green Twin Danny. Now that's one I do not have. Very unlikely if I ever find one.
Aug 12, 2011, 10:32 PM

Smallest 4-stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76
it looks large
id never fly a plane that needed it but i do say it would look nice on my workbench

so whats the smallest four stroke out there that was made in large quantity

i have 21 hpvt im guessing its the smallest, what others on that range(also have a 20 or 21 surpass and 26 surpass)

also to me a cruddy dirty oil soaked and baked on engine just means its a real good engine that will probably outlast me
Guess that must be the OS FS 20
Aug 12, 2011, 11:29 PM
Back around 1962, I had an interesting engine come into my possesion that so far, nobody I've mentioned it to has heard of, including about 15 years ago, the guy who was manning the MECA booth at Toledo. I have seen only two mentions of it, and while the one I had was Glow, it apparently was a pre-WW-II ignition engine. Points and condenser had been removed and thrown away. It was a Sideport Coby (.12 or .15?), not sure which, since the two articles I saw mention it each had a different displacement. Long stroke engine, could run either direction. Needed a shot of 3-in-one for starting, ran well on Fox Superfuel,seemed to outperorm my Fox .15X on 9" props.

Whoops, just remembered where I actually uploaded an old listing mentioning this engine on this thread, Pity the Poor CD, from a 1946 AT. It was listed as the Cobey-Waite, listed displacement of .147 cu in.
Last edited by 50+AirYears; Aug 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Aug 12, 2011, 11:57 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
Back around 1962, I had an interesting engine come into my possesion that so far, nobody I've mentioned it to has heard of, including about 15 years ago, the guy who was manning the MECA booth at Toledo. I have seen only two mentions of it, and while the one I had was Glow, it apparently was a pre-WW-II ignition engine. Points and condenser had been removed and thrown away. It was a Sideport Coby (.12 or .15?), not sure which, since the two articles I saw mention it each had a different displacement. Long stroke engine, could run either direction. Needed a shot of 3-in-one for starting, ran well on Fox Superfuel,seemed to outperorm my Fox .15X on 9" props.

Whoops, just remembered where I actually uploaded an old listing mentioning this engine on this thread, Pity the Poor CD, from a 1946 AT. It was listed as the Cobey-Waite, listed displacement of .147 cu in.
50+, that engine is mentioned (and photographed) in the A.M.E.E. book, on page 51. If you would like the details posted here, please ask. BOB
Aug 13, 2011, 12:15 AM
I guess I still have a bit of curiosity about the engine, since it is kind of uncommon. If I still had the engine today, I'd probably either try growing the piston in an oven, or do a little knurling on the piston diameter to restore it's compression. I always wonder if the sound it made ws from turning an exceptional high RPM for it;s size and era, or just a function of the noise it made with a wide open annular exhaust. If you do post the data, let me thank you in advance.
Aug 13, 2011, 12:36 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
..If you do post the data, let me thank you in advance.
50+, the Cobey-Waite "Model 1470" is dated to 1946, and is listed as being made by the Molded Insulation Co., Philadelphia (Bill Cobey & George Waite). The capacity is/was 0.147 cu. in., of spark ignition and was a pretty typical layout for that era being a 3 (or side) port, thus enabling it to run in either direction (as a glow anyway). A footnote says "There have been some Cobey-Waite engines reported with the word "Scout" on bypass. One advert referred to a "Scout" engine." A guy named Mike Drozda built 20-25 replica Cobey-Waites in 1972. BOB
Aug 13, 2011, 12:58 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
On Aussie eBay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F-engine-...item2c5e912551

"The time has come, my friends, to part with one of my favourite engines - the "F". Many is the time when I have sat in my workshop and marvelled at the beauty of this purpose-built full-house F1J engine, knowing that I would never be able to build a model that would let it reveal its true potential ...
Adapted from Martin Gregorie's F1J engine website :
"This is a purpose built F1J engine from the Tartar republic. It is a twin ball race engine with AAC cylinder technology. It is equipped with an integral brake, flood-off inlet and pressure tapped backplate. Like many engines from the Russian republics, it is equipped for a pressurised hard tank rather than a bladder, though of course swapping it to a bladder is quite easy. The head suits a Nelson plug".
Roger Simpson ran his F engine on 40% nitro and it turned 29,600 rpm on a 152 mm diameter propeller. The engine's maker, Ildar Faizrakhmanov, quotes about 31-32.000 for the AAC version on the 152 mm propeller: I don't know what fuel he uses.
Lynn Pulley writes -
"I have been using one of these engines for about a year and am very pleased with it. I have won several local contests and placed high in all that I have entered. In the recent San Valeers annual, competing against about 10 other F1J flyers,( using Cyclon 061 and KC-06 engines), there were three of us using F engines. Myself , Tony Robertson, and Jeff Ellington. Tony retired in the 5th round due to timer failure, while Jeff & I finished 1st and 3rd respectively just 8 sec apart. My engine turned 29,500 rpm on Ildar's 152mm prop using 25% nitro the day I received it. Ildar won't ship an engine unless it is turning at least 29,000 rpm on 0% nitro with a 148mm prop. My engine is now closing in on 31000 rpm with the same prop and 40% nitro!"
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Dec 17, 2011 at 04:57 AM.
Aug 13, 2011, 02:02 AM
Quote:
I guess I still have a bit of curiosity about the engine, since it is kind of uncommon. If I still had the engine today, I'd probably either try growing the piston in an oven, or do a little knurling on the piston diameter to restore it's compression. I always wonder if the sound it made ws from turning an exceptional high RPM for it;s size and era, or just a function of the noise it made with a wide open annular exhaust. If you do post the data, let me thank you in advance.
I guess this is the engine you had in mind. Serial nr is 129. An original ? I think so since Mike Drozda never made so many engines, but with all this replicating one's never sure.
Aug 13, 2011, 02:05 AM
Quote:
50+, the Cobey-Waite "Model 1470" is dated to 1946, and is listed as being made by the Molded Insulation Co., Philadelphia (Bill Cobey & George Waite). The capacity is/was 0.147 cu. in., of spark ignition and was a pretty typical layout for that era being a 3 (or side) port, thus enabling it to run in either direction (as a glow anyway). A footnote says "There have been some Cobey-Waite engines reported with the word "Scout" on bypass. One advert referred to a "Scout" engine." A guy named Mike Drozda built 20-25 replica Cobey-Waites in 1972. BOB
Mistake on my CWaite pics, the ser.nmbr is 195
Aug 13, 2011, 02:17 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald
I guess this is the engine you had in mind. Serial nr is 129. An original ? I think so since Mike Drozda never made so many engines, but with all this replicating one's never sure.
Reggy, the book says the originals had a matte finished, built up steel cylinder, whilst the Drozda replica's had a cadmium plated cylinder, also the name on the bypass was highlighted in gold leaf ! Other Repro's exist also, so we will have to hire a detective (Inspector Clouseau perhaps ?) to work out what yours is ! BOB
Aug 13, 2011, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Reggy, the book says the originals had a matte finished, built up steel cylinder, whilst the Drozda replica's had a cadmium plated cylinder, also the name on the bypass was highlighted in gold leaf ! Other Repro's exist also, so we will have to hire a detective (Inspector Clouseau perhaps ?) to work out what yours is ! BOB
Is my example cad-plated ? One can see the grey welding all right. I can put on some gold leaf on the emblem, have some of that cigarette-thin gold leaf lying about somewhere. I remember in many letters from Clarence Lee he was not at all glad with all the repro's that used to come out. And I'm sure he's still not interested. In a way he's right. But now, is my CW an original ?
Aug 13, 2011, 02:37 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
No prizes for guessing where Gordon Burford got his inspiration from, when he designed this engine ! BOB
PS the Enya NVA was not designed by Gordon !
(two photo's on the right show the 29 sized "inspiration")
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Dec 17, 2011 at 05:12 AM.

Quick Reply