Jun 13, 2011, 01:28 PM
making big holes in the sky..
Here is my report...

First I want to say: THANK YOU IBCRASY..

I have tried out my mig-tread CL and SPW on my 2,4ghz video on my KK-quad a couple of times.
I dont fly far with my quads, but I do like to fly low... lower the better..

With the CL/SPW combo I can fly my quad 40km/h 30cm over the tarmac 200meters away standing next to a concrete building without any drop-outs or glitches in the video. Its like having the camera pluged in with cable into my goggles. There is NO WAY this is possible with "old linier" system with a rubberduck/patch bombo. With my old linear setup there was a lot of signal reflection and interference in the video.

PS:: this is with a $10 100mw vTX from ebay..

CP with CL/SPW is now my standar for short distance fun flying...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2011, 02:04 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg
Alex,

A few weeks ago I purchased a Cloverleaf & a Skew-Planar Wheel antenna from you for a 1280MHz receiver & transmitter setup. They are working well and I wanted to buy a second Cloverleaf for my other drone. Do I have to specify a right or left handed orientation or do you only make one kind. I want it to be the same as the first Cloverleaf antenna I got from you so it will work with the Skew-Planar Wheel antenna of yours that I already own. I just have no idea on if they are right or left handed.
Please advise.

Tom
I have only made a few LHCP as special orders. Yours are RHCP.
Jun 13, 2011, 02:05 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako
Can i use the same wire for a 2.4GHz Cloverleaf, a 2.4GHz CP Helical 7 turnand a 1280MHz Helical 7 turn??
If yes what size should i use?
Thank you
Teo
No. Helicals should use a fairly thick wire. As thick as you can possibly wind it. I use 6AWG on my personal helicals for 1280MHz.

-Alex
Jun 13, 2011, 04:00 PM
SX_
SX_
.........lost..........
Hey Alex

I just wanted to say im very happy with my clovers! they fly great!

I bought a tracker(will be here in a week or so) and was wondering what the best antenna would be on it im thinking your CP patch or double BiQuad??

and should i rather go to a SPW for the plane?

I still wan to put a diversity on as well with a SPW/clover rx for close flight....

Thanks
Willie
Last edited by SX_; Jun 13, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Jun 13, 2011, 04:17 PM

over head flying

I fly a lot overhead,high. Would your cloverleaf solve the polarity problem I get doing this .Thanks , foufly
Jun 13, 2011, 04:23 PM
Registered FPVer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foufly
I fly a lot overhead,high. Would your cloverleaf solve the polarity problem I get doing this .Thanks , foufly
Flying overhead with linear polarized antennas is not a "polarity problem" but based on the fact that the radiation pattern of all real world antennas is not like a ball but can take a lot of different shapes. The shape (or radiation pattern) depends very much on the type of antenna used. A rubber duck (asuming that's what you use) has a pattern that resembles a bit an apple. So there is a weak signal spot on top and on the bottom, good distribution around it. The skew planar wheel (which you would use on the rx end) is a bit similar, but according to my experience its still better than a rubberduck as the weak signal spot seems to be smaller. So if you are not after flying absolutely above yourself you should be good to go. If you need to fly directly above yourself, get a helical as your reciver antenna and use an antenna tracker.

HTH

Markus
Jun 13, 2011, 04:30 PM
Pen
Pen
FPWhat?
For the CL/SPW combo, I still see different opinions on which goes on the VTX and which on VRX. Is there a clear winner or is one way better sometimes and sometime the other?

I have SPW on VTX and CL on VRX. Wondering if I would get better performance the other way around. I would just switch them and see for myself but my SPW has a 90 built in and the CL has no 90, so would not be an easy swap.
Jun 13, 2011, 05:04 PM
Oh so close!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen
For the CL/SPW combo, I still see different opinions on which goes on the VTX and which on VRX. Is there a clear winner or is one way better sometimes and sometime the other?

I have SPW on VTX and CL on VRX. Wondering if I would get better performance the other way around. I would just switch them and see for myself but my SPW has a 90 built in and the CL has no 90, so would not be an easy swap.
Different opinions? The only one that matters for me is IBCrazy himself, the man, the myth, the LEGEND, says the CL goes to the TX and the SPW goes...well, you'll figure it out.

cheers
Jun 13, 2011, 05:38 PM
aka Nigel Uno
CL on vTX rocks!!

Also with a patch or rubber duck on vRx.

For LOS 5/8 km go with CL on both rx/tx

For LOS > 8 km go with CL(tx)/Helical 5/7 turns (rx)

(with vTx 1.2GHz 800mW)

Ciao

Luca
Jun 13, 2011, 05:47 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99
Different opinions? The only one that matters for me is IBCrazy himself, the man, the myth, the LEGEND, says the CL goes to the TX and the SPW goes...well, you'll figure it out.

cheers
Yes. CL on TX, SPW on RX. ReadyMadeRC has their picture backwards

-Alex
Jun 13, 2011, 05:49 PM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_
Hey Alex

I just wanted to say im very happy with my clovers! they fly great!

I bought a tracker(will be here in a week or so) and was wondering what the best antenna would be on it im thinking your CP patch or double BiQuad??

and should i rather go to a SPW for the plane?

I still wan to put a diversity on as well with a SPW/clover rx for close flight....

Thanks
Willie
You need a helical. I will have some 5 turn helicals for 5.8GHz available in a few weeks.

-Alex
Jun 13, 2011, 08:02 PM
RC = FUN
Anyone else have crappy video with LM CP combo? It might just be my new DL TX, but my video was horrible today with the new Lawmates. -Tyler
Jun 14, 2011, 04:23 AM
zea
zea
well, it seems that it is not a good camera can get good pics. if you wanna get good pics, you need a good complete FPV kit.
Jun 14, 2011, 05:28 AM
I've tried the modification as posted by klaassie, still everything is bad

Can't wait till the antenna's from Alex come in, hope that will make a difference.

Just in case it won't.... I've also ordered a 1500mw 900mhz video rx/tx combo
Jun 14, 2011, 06:58 AM
Engineer for Christ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321
Anyone else have crappy video with LM CP combo? It might just be my new DL TX, but my video was horrible today with the new Lawmates. -Tyler
Is it really bad, as in your video flashes in your screen? If this is the case, your RX battery is low. If your Dragonlink is an older model (ie more than 2 months old) it has a harmonic right on the 1280MHz badn and will kill reception.

-Alex

Quick Reply