Jun 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thread OP

Reasons for "connection break"

I have a "hyperion EX 3s 5000 mAh" lipo battery which I had problems charging with my "Imax B6 10" charger.

When I tried to charge it I connected the balancer and ceanscable, set the values to 5A and 3s and then pushed "start", the same procedure as I always do. What happens the is that the charger beeps and says "connection break".
Before you read on, remember that I do the exact same thing with my other batteries without problems. The difference is that all my other batteries is between 2.2 and 3.3 mAh and therefore I set the A lower.

So what I did then was that I returned it to the webshop where I bought it. They mailed me today and said the battery was just fine, they could charge it with no problems.

So this leads me to asking you:
What are all the possible reasons for the message "connection break"?
Apparently the wire to the battery is fully functional so the problem is not there.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 10, 2011, 05:02 PM
Zero Expo
Your other batteries probably utilize JST-XH balance connectors, and probably so does your charger.

Hyperion balance connectors are not JST-XH, but do fit them.

The wires are arranged a little differently between Hyperion and the battery manufactures that use JST-XH connectors.

You either need an adapter, or need to rearrange the wires in the Hyperion pack.
Jun 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
Well, I use the adapter shown in the picture below, its the same adapter I use when sucsessfully charging my "hyperion EX 3s 2200 mAh" battery.
So I gues I have the correct adapter and the problem is somewhere else, or what do you think?

Jun 11, 2011, 05:57 AM
Have you tried charging your 5000mAh pack at 2.2A, just to determine if it's something wrong with your charger or balance adapter board?
Jun 11, 2011, 06:45 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
You could have a bad balance board .... easily checked with a DMM after plugging pack into it by probing the output cable pins. It could be a bad trace or bad solder joint.

You could have a bad 3S balance tap circuit on your charger .... try another 3S pack with JST-XH taps plugged directly into the charger.

Lastly
Jun 11, 2011, 07:45 AM
I did experience the same problems, and several times on two chargers. This is some years ago when I thought I should give Deans a chance on my smaller batteries. Propably had both original and knockoff Deans.
Replaced all Deans to bullets which I have always used and I never saw "connection break" again.
A friend of mine did also see this when using different Deans, and his problems also disappeared as soon as the Deans vere tossed and bullets installed...
Jun 11, 2011, 12:48 PM
Try a lower setting AND try a car battery to charge from. You may be requiring more power at the higher setting than the power pack can provide.
Jun 11, 2011, 08:24 PM
did this just happen or did you do something lke a discharge mabey?
Jun 12, 2011, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer
did this just happen or did you do something lke a discharge mabey?
First of all, thank you for all suggestions.
It was not a discharge, its actually the first time I was about to charge the battery. And as I said, I mailed it back to the shop and they successfully managed to charge it.

I know theres nothing wrong with the balancing board because I use it with 2200mAh batteries of the same brand with no problem.

Its all a mystery
Jun 13, 2011, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babanan
... I know theres nothing wrong with the balancing board because I use it with 2200mAh batteries of the same brand with no problem. ...
Something in the board or the charger might be breaking down under the higher current, which is why I and flydiver have suggested you try your 5000mAh pack at lower current to see what happens. Or maybe your power supply is unable to supply the higher current needed for a 5000mAh charge.
Jun 13, 2011, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jooNorway
I did experience the same problems, and several times on two chargers. This is some years ago when I thought I should give Deans a chance on my smaller batteries. Propably had both original and knockoff Deans.
Replaced all Deans to bullets which I have always used and I never saw "connection break" again.
A friend of mine did also see this when using different Deans, and his problems also disappeared as soon as the Deans vere tossed and bullets installed...
I've also had this problem with various "Deans" copies. Generally speaking a few insertions and/clean the contacts usually clears it. Deans are usually about 0.8milliohms/contact but I measured one at 35milliohms a couple of weeks ago - cleaning the blades cured it although they did not look obviously dirty.

Wayne
Jun 13, 2011, 08:32 AM
Volador de corchos :)
I suspect there is a defective wiring of the main connection, try to use another banana-Deans (or whatever you use) from anobody else to check it.
Jun 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
Cold solder joint on the main leads perhaps. I had the same connection break error on a pack of Zippy 3s packs. Had to resolder the positive lead on the pack.
Jun 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
clone deans connector is usually the culprit ..there usually a bad connection somewhere the female and male connector on the clones...replaced it with bullet connector..

and this is all warning who uses the clones on their aircraft/esc, if u have sudden loss of power, don't blame your receiver, it could be the knock out deans too.. i have a few experiences of this and it traces back to the clones..either use the original deans or replace it solves the problem..

added: check the pics, those are clones dean connectors, usually the problem is the female or male connector not giving a good contact

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...hp?item_id=533
Last edited by yurstruly; Jun 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add more info
Jun 13, 2011, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn
Something in the board or the charger might be breaking down under the higher current, which is why I and flydiver have suggested you try your 5000mAh pack at lower current to see what happens. Or maybe your power supply is unable to supply the higher current needed for a 5000mAh charge.
Both alternatives seem a little unlikely but I will definitely try it out when I get my Lipo back.
When it comes to the other suggestions here in this thread some of the sollutions also seems unlikely when you look at the facts.

-I got the message "connection break",but the webshop where I bought it managed to charge it when I sent it back. That almost excludes something is wrong with the battery´s wire and deans-connector.

-I charge other batteries with the same balancing board without problems, so that implies its nothing wrong with that board.

I will keep on trying to find out what the problem is and I am therefore open to all kinds og suggestions.

Quick Reply