Jun 02, 2011, 06:31 AM
I use them for rudder trim (Left) and ignition On/off (right).
For ignition on off i set it up like turning a key to get a car started. Left is off and right is on.

They can be used for a great number of other functions
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2011, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn in NorCal
I just recieved my 8FG a week ago, and a lot makes sence to me but but Im still confused about a few things... I have a four servo wing sailplane with the flaps and ailerons coupled with the factory mix. I'm a mode one flier and I want to have butterfly on J2, and also want the flaps to uncouple from the ailerons when I start to deploy the butterfly. Any help is greatly appreciated!

If the transmitter is set to Mode 1 (in the System – Hardware Set Menu) any newly created glider model should have Butterfly allocated to J2 by default. Possibly you started programming the model before changing the transmitter to Mode 1? Anyway, it is not a problem. Go to Linkage – Function Menu and set the control for Butterfly to J2 on screen 3/4.

There are various ways of uncoupling the flaps from the ailerons when you deploy Butterfly.

The simplest to program (though not to use) is to use the same switch to activate both mixes. For example SF forward is ON for Aileron/Camber Mix and OFF for Butterfly. SF backward is ON for Butterfly and OFF for Aileron/Camber.

A better solution is to use J2 as the On/Off switch for your Aileron/Camber Mix. You can set it so that it switches off at any chosen point when you begin to pull J2 down. Although this is slightly more complex to programme it is much easier to use because you can forget about switches when you are flying. As soon as you start to deploy Butterfly your Aileron/Camber mix will uncouple automatically.

The best solution is to use different flight conditions. They are a bit further along the learning curve but, once mastered, actually make programming easier and more flexible as well as allowing independent trim settings.
Jun 02, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks Guys, for all the help. I'll dive in and get lost in programming!
Jun 06, 2011, 02:47 AM
QiW
QiW
hey guys ... does anyone know the power output of the ASIA PACIFIC REGION 8FG ??
i am planning to hook it up to a 2.4 booster to extend range for FPV
so i need to know the power output of the 8FG so that i will not fry the booster when i plug it in
any numbers in mW or dBm would help ....

thanks
Jun 06, 2011, 05:48 AM

8FGS from JR 10X,, is this a good option

Have read this whole 155 page thread, lots of good info.

I have a JR 10x, had for years, and love it. Added the Spektrum module, and while I haven't had any major issues (yet) quite a few guys in my club have lost Spektrum models to un-explained radio lock outs.

Back when I bought my JR 10x, I had money, was flying Pattern etc (must have had, I think the radio was approx $1600 Au in 1998). Now family committments has trimmed the modeling budget, but technology has kept the gap closer.

Any way, I want to know what people think if I move to a 8FGS form a JR10x. I like the Futaba 2.4 hz system, so my next radio will be a Futaba.

I looked at the more expensive 12FG, and it crtainly is an option but I really like the backlit 8FGS screen.

I mainly fly sports, warbirds (hence find the JR with the Spektrum module, that 9 Channels isn't enough), and still some pattern as a hobby. Looked at the A9, it's ok, but I don't really like the Tranny feel that much.
Telemetry would be nice, but is not a show stopper.

Programability for mixes etc JR 10x versus the 8FGS?

Flight modes?

Easy of programing? ( I did have a second hand 9ZAP prior to the JR, it was a bit of a challenge).

One thing I want to also know, I want to run a twin engine with 2 throttle servos, with the option to "mix" each servo, so I can individually balance each engine. Is this possible?
Gimballs, are the 8FGS as good as the JR 10x, (which even after 13 years ar fantastic)?
I always use genuine Rx's,and even though the Futaba's are going to cost me a bit, I don't indulge in third party "Hobby King" Specials. I don't understand the logic in putting a $10-20 (say Orange() receiver in my $8-900 plane.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Aussie Down Under.
Jun 06, 2011, 08:14 AM
In response to Aussie_flyer

Having never used a JR 10X I am not in a position to make a comparison but can comment on some of your specific questions.

The 8FG has a good range of dedicated mixes, five programmable mixes and the hugely flexible Function Menu which allows you to allocate any function to any channel with any control and trim of your choice. Inevitably some people will come up with things that the radio cannot do but, in terms of programmability, it should more than meet the needs you outline. Because of its flexibility it is often possible to emulate features for which there is no obvious dedicated provision, though this can require a bit of ingenuity. e.g. reduced servo speed for flap deployment.

There are five flight modes (Conditions) in glider mode but, curiously, not in Airplane mode. However, if you want to use the Flight Conditions, you can simply program your power model in glider mode and allocate a throttle in the Function Menu. You lose some of the minor dedicated mixes such as throttle cut but these can generally be replaced via program mixes if required.

Programming is very straightforward though the manual is absolutely dreadful. On almost every page it repeats in monotonous detail instructions for accessing each feature but offers almost no explanation of the purpose of these features. To a newcomer to R/C it must be very daunting but a modeller of your experience should pick it up pretty quickly.

Multi engines are simple to set up as you can allocate the same throttle stick to several channels but use a different trim lever for each. I would use the two dials (LD and RD) as the trims for each engine on a twin. You can, of course, also set the end points and sub-trims independently for each throttle servo.

As for the stick gimbals, they felt a bit light-weight at first but I quickly got used to them and the transmitter is probably the most comfortable to use that I have ever owned.
Jun 06, 2011, 11:35 AM
Ride Blue
Anyone want a spare stock charger and stock battery pack?

Just pay shipping and it's yours. (Should fit in a USPS flat rate small box - $5 shipping)

pm me

Someone took me up on it.
Last edited by jholen; Jun 06, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Jun 06, 2011, 05:55 PM
Where can I get one? All the online stores I've checked have them out of stock.
Jun 06, 2011, 06:11 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Quote:
Originally Posted by norstaroption
Where can I get one? All the online stores I've checked have them out of stock.
There are a few here thought it's up to you if you purchase off ebay or not.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?rt=nc&LH...=p3286.c0.m301

Regards,

- Birger
Jun 06, 2011, 07:40 PM
uptime4downtime
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_flyer
Have read this whole 155 page thread, lots of good info.

I have a JR 10x, had for years, and love it. Added the Spektrum module, and while I haven't had any major issues (yet) quite a few guys in my club have lost Spektrum models to un-explained radio lock outs.

Back when I bought my JR 10x, I had money, was flying Pattern etc (must have had, I think the radio was approx $1600 Au in 1998). Now family committments has trimmed the modeling budget, but technology has kept the gap closer.

Any way, I want to know what people think if I move to a 8FGS form a JR10x. I like the Futaba 2.4 hz system, so my next radio will be a Futaba.

I looked at the more expensive 12FG, and it crtainly is an option but I really like the backlit 8FGS screen.

I mainly fly sports, warbirds (hence find the JR with the Spektrum module, that 9 Channels isn't enough), and still some pattern as a hobby. Looked at the A9, it's ok, but I don't really like the Tranny feel that much.
Telemetry would be nice, but is not a show stopper.

Programability for mixes etc JR 10x versus the 8FGS?

Flight modes?

Easy of programing? ( I did have a second hand 9ZAP prior to the JR, it was a bit of a challenge).

One thing I want to also know, I want to run a twin engine with 2 throttle servos, with the option to "mix" each servo, so I can individually balance each engine. Is this possible?
Gimballs, are the 8FGS as good as the JR 10x, (which even after 13 years ar fantastic)?
I always use genuine Rx's,and even though the Futaba's are going to cost me a bit, I don't indulge in third party "Hobby King" Specials. I don't understand the logic in putting a $10-20 (say Orange() receiver in my $8-900 plane.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
Aussie Down Under.
I too second this TX. It has many features, but I do like the Futaba 2.4 technology. Be prepared to be saddened by the fact you can't use the very nice charger that comes with the unit, without a transformer etc. Otherwise, it is perfect. The balance is nice with the stock battery. Sits much nicer than my Futaba 7c (but I did mod the battery on that one. - I don't think you will be disappointed. Others will know more re settings for gliders etc. I'm pretty much plain sports, with extra channels needed for Aerial photography work. PS - I'm like you. Get the good radio, and I stick with the brand RX. Have less, but I don't mind it that way.

Regards
Jun 06, 2011, 08:07 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
What battery are you given in your 8fg? The lithium or the nimh battery? I think it stinks that we are given the nimh battery here in the states
Jun 06, 2011, 08:29 PM
uptime4downtime
Hi. Same as yours - NiMh. Haven't even cycled it yet. But little use so far. Only programmed a couple of AP models into it. Regards
Jun 06, 2011, 08:40 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
I want to get my hands on that 2800mah lithuim batts thats for it. I get 7½hours out of my 2200 2s lipo so a 2800mah I should get 9 to 10hours before chargeing. The last time I went out to have a day flying I had to stop and charge my TX lipo I atleast want to fly all day and not have to worry
Jun 06, 2011, 09:02 PM
I'm planning on getting this one soon: http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2S.aspx

Doug.
Jun 06, 2011, 09:26 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Nice that should give me about 9 hours of on time (8.7 is what I calculated from my current time with the 2200s ) The price isnt bad either!

Quick Reply