May 09, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hi
I have a skyfun on the way home, I order´t the 3648 1450 motor together with a 5s 2200mah40c batteri, but can´t seem to find one that users this motor on the skyfun.
if that won´t work then I also have a 2836 2350kv and 3200kv.
wich of theise motor´s will be the best? I don´t want a small prop motor as I think the 6-7" prop is a minimum for good fun and speed.
Best Regards Henrik
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2011, 03:03 PM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japac View Post
Hi
I have a skyfun on the way home, I order´t the 3648 1450 motor together with a 5s 2200mah40c batteri, but can´t seem to find one that users this motor on the skyfun.
wich of theise motor´s will be the best? I don´t want a small prop motor as I think the 6-7" prop is a minimum for good fun and speed.
Best Regards Henrik
I can't imagine there would be anyway to fit a 3648 on the plane. The largest diameter motor the mount will take is a 28mm (barely)
The 2836 2350 (really 2800Kv) takes about 42 amps on a 6x4 prop and a 3s 2200 battery and is in the 95 MPH region. AUW is 24 ounces.
May 10, 2011, 05:06 AM
Got my shipping notice from HK yesterday. By the time it comes I'll be off for a week and building/flying...
May 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Not a six pack
Putting together my kit version after the crash. A few things.

Welder glue is melting the foam. have to use gorilla or epoxy.

Krylon fusion also melting the foam tho strangely yellow not as much.
May 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Yes, Welders will melt this type of foam. Gorilla CA also will melt it, but I haven't used the other types of Gorilla.
I used epoxy I bought at the LHS on my SkyFun. I also learned that having a fan on to disperse the fumes of the 5-minute epoxy will shorten the amount of time you have to mix, apply and join the parts! I've also now bought some 15-minute epoxy but haven't tried it yet.

Nice paint job. I just bought my fluorescent adhesive stripes last night and will apply them soon.

My faster motor and larger ESC arrived last Thursday but I've either been too busy or the weather was bad when I had time, so I haven't changed anything out yet.
I will also have to modify the mounting holes on the mount for this new motor.
I'm really liking how it flies currently but I may change the 8x5 prop to a 7x6 to see if that gives a little more top speed but still has plenty of power for easy hand launches. Currently my SkyFun loses absolutely no altitude at all on hand launches and is very smooth, quiet and stable as it leaves.
I'm also working on a better place to mount the camera for a better view. My last two videos have been a mix of good and boring interspersed because the camera has too much of the sky in the shot. Both times I was flying late and nobody else was in the air. When more planes are flying, like the 4 EDF guys all at the same time, this forward and slightly up view may be more interesting!
May 10, 2011, 02:26 PM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Putting together my kit version after the crash. A few things.

Welder glue is melting the foam. have to use gorilla or epoxy.

Krylon fusion also melting the foam tho strangely yellow not as much.
Hot glue works great. Holds like crazy and has flexibility. I have built and repaired all 3 with hot glue. Epoxy cracks while hot glue holds up.
Last edited by Rich in ILM; May 10, 2011 at 03:09 PM.
May 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
I have no problem with making a new Mount that Will suit a 36mm motor, I would like it to go 120mph+ and I don't think i Can reach that speed with a 2836.
May 10, 2011, 03:09 PM
Retired in NC
Quote:
I have no problem with making a new Mount that Will suit a 36mm motor, I would like it to go 120mph+ and I don't think i Can reach that speed with a 2836.
My guess is you are going to have to weight the front of the plane quite a bit go get a decent CG. It should be interesting.
May 10, 2011, 04:53 PM
I didn't have enough confidence in my ability to apply hot glue quickly enough for the wings and fins. So I "stuck" with the epoxy... Even that had to be done pretty quickly but I've been satisfied with all the joints.
I used foam-safe CA for the CF rods and then applied packing tape in strategic areas, including over the length of the CF rods themselves.
I did use hot glue on the canopy, which worked great.
Japac, how much does this 36mm motor weigh?
When I had to mount my 28mm motor off the end of the mount (along with a substantial prop adapter), I only had to move the 1500mAh battery forward about 1/4-inch. The ESC also moved forward about 2 inches and I had to add a Dean's extender cable also.
It will definitely be heavy with a 36mm motor but I think there will be enough room to move the battery forward to compensate, especially since most people are using bigger batteries than 1500mAh.
My SkyFun currently weighs about 23 ounces.
May 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
The motor weight is 180grams, I Will be using 2200mah 4s with a 8x8 apc sport propOr 5s with 7x7 sport prop depending on how well it handels the extra weight.
May 11, 2011, 02:14 AM
Not a six pack
v2 ready for maiden. I used 5 min epoxy on wings, gorilla glue on the fins - just didn't feel like mixing any tonight. Taped up leading edges and 1 strip on bottom and then put oracal on most of the bottom to keep it clean. v1 had so much dirt and dings on the bottom.

When I moved my electronics over I noticed the motor is grinding so something inside is not quite right. And 1 servo was jittery under load so i had to replace motor and servos. Motor is a 2218 3450kv. Just a tad more than the 3200kv I was using before, should still be in the same wattage neighborhood. Hope to maiden tomorrow if weather holds up.
May 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Japac, your motor weighs 4x the weight of my motor that I mounted out on the end of the stock mount.
Hopefully you can create a modified mount that will allow you to mount it as forward as possible.
May 13, 2011, 05:25 PM
Retired in NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
Japac, your motor weighs 4x the weight of my motor that I mounted out on the end of the stock mount.
Hopefully you can create a modified mount that will allow you to mount it as forward as possible.
It's going to be interesting. It is going to need a lot of forward ballast which will cause a much higher loaded wing weight.

The thing I love about this the Skyfun is it can be a banshee and then transition into a very stable glider just by shutting the throttle down. A very wide flight envelope. I'll fly this plane when most others are grounded by the wind.
May 13, 2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Hi
Best Regards Henrik
I also have the 3648 1450 motor on order, but I am fitting it to a custom built skyfun (covered in fibre glass so a bit heavier).
I am looking to fit 2 x 3cell 2200 bats and a 100amp esc.

Anyone got any good stats for props with this kind of setup? I am looking to push @ about 1800w after I run the motor in for a bit.

The 3rd pic of me holding tthe fin shows the strength, ican hold the tip and wave the plane about with just a tiny bit of bend on the fin, this thing is rock solid with 3 layers of 48g cloth, I am very please with it so far

PS This is my 1st attempt at using GF so please dont flame me :P
May 13, 2011, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyInKent View Post
I also have the 3648 1450 motor on order, but I am fitting it to a custom built skyfun (covered in fibre glass so a bit heavier).
I am looking to fit 2 x 3cell 2200 bats and a 100amp esc.

Anyone got any good stats for props with this kind of setup? I am looking to push @ about 1800w after I run the motor in for a bit.
I posted some specs of that setup in the turnigy 28xx stryker motor thread, used a 6.5x5.0 pylon prop. 6S 2200mah isn't really enough for 1800w, try 3000mah.
Last edited by NinetySix; May 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply