Mar 12, 2011, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Louis and I tried this spot yesterday.
.. North paradise Point didn't like it cause there was too much eel grass, too many rocks and the waves build up too big here on this far side of West Mission Bay for my taste..

ODOM vs Marblehead at Paradise Point (4 min 37 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
Thread OP

Video Looking AFT at DeAnza today

Rich H and Louis P came by DeAnza Cove today and tho Louis did not have a working boat .. Rich and I had several races.. feel free to skip ahead on that video .. I edited a lot of it out but know this would be a lot more interesting if more boats were racing..

DeAnza Cova Key Cam clips- AFT (8 min 16 sec)

This one's a bit more interesting

Racing Rich at DaAnza Saturday.. Looking FWD (6 min 1 sec)
Last edited by jims123; Mar 12, 2011 at 10:15 PM.
Mar 13, 2011, 08:15 PM
Thread OP

ODOM mast rake ?

Some of u know I got a new used rig with Mylar sails recently. I've been trying to tune it..made several minor mods And one thing I just noticed: Is the tip of the mast is about 2 inches further Aft when the jib is set Ok via the backstay. Compared to the original rig...

Should I be concerned? Where should I set the mast rake to?.. Should a ODOM's mast be Perfectly vertical relative to the deck?
JimS

Well i was just looking thru this ODOM Manual .. and measured from the tip of the bow to the top center of the mast as it recommends.. and I'm right about where the mast rake is supposed to be set.. at approx 60 1/2 inches.. Guess my original rig was raked far further fwd than normal.. not he other way around..
Last edited by jims123; Mar 14, 2011 at 01:44 AM.
Mar 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
Thread OP

Anyone else having a prob seeing the picts on RGC threads?

Hope this is just a temp problem.. are you having an issue seeing the picture attachments too?

by the way,
once it's fixed you may want to buzz on over to here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1406362

and check out these picts if interested in the local SD Soling 50 scene and their Regatta this weekend.. Regards, JimS

by the way the picts display fine.. figured out that it was just my own hardware/software causing the problem displaying .jpg's
Last edited by jims123; Mar 14, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Mar 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123
The SAILset Turnbuckles came in so i had no excuse not to rig up my "spare" used Porro Sail and will be trying it out.. Was fun getting the shroud wire wrapped on the new threaded pieces.. am sure I didn't do the most perfect job possible but they are balanced in length and there's at least 5 turns on each side wrapped to hold them from pulling out or unraveling.. We'll see soon enough I guess if I did it right..
You must not have had any crimping sleeves, usually available fron wire suppliers. But I'm sure your method works.

Regarding the rigging screw locking nuts in your post #175, you may have wanted the standard M3 nuts as shown here:
http://www.sailsetc.com/downloads/2006/SP11-2008.pdf
But I could still use any kind of M3 nut.
Jack
Mar 14, 2011, 07:46 PM
Well, I see my Sailsetc pdf link doesn't work on my PC. Click on the first item here where it says download:
http://www.sailsetc.com/fitrig.htm
Jack
Mar 14, 2011, 11:03 PM
Thread OP
Jack,
I'll send some of these nuts.. But I'm confident the single nut will work ok.. Yes I should have thought about and got the crimp sleeves and some wire too but there's always a next time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatters
Well, I see my Sailsetc pdf link doesn't work on my PC. Click on the first item here where it says download:
http://www.sailsetc.com/fitrig.htm
Jack
by the way Jack, i sent some of the M3 locknuts nuts out in the mail this morning.. plan to order some of the stainless shroud line rigging wire.. need to figure out what diameter for backstay and shrouds .. incase it breaks .. and do plan to get a few other small do-dads from SAILSet too..
Last edited by jims123; Mar 15, 2011 at 06:03 PM.
Mar 15, 2011, 05:47 PM
Jim, I tested the $32 2.4hz Flysky CT6 TX today. It worked fine, good distance and response, after the fiddling with PC drivers and software at home before I used it. But I enjoyed that. The TX is a little heavier than the 4 chan AM TXs I'm used to but no problem. Maybe I'll get a helicopter, etc. one of these days to utilize all the features.
BTW, do you have a picture of the camera mounted on the top of your mast? At least that's what I assume. Nice videos.
Jack
Mar 15, 2011, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
Jack, very good to hear your experience with the $32 hoppypartz.com Tx/Rx combo option has been good so far too.. I also had some s/w install issues but got the $2.00 upgraded Tx mixing and set up s/w, and when it could not detect or connect to a COM: port, the author in Italy sent me a zip file with 3 different drivers to try, and one of them worked fine on Win 7 64 bit OS so although I have not actually bound and swapped receivers into a boat yet.. it's ready as a backup..and that is all I wanted it for really..

Yes the batteries are heavy.. I am looking around for a 3S Lipo in that config that is flat and thin enuff to substitute for a set of 8 AA's in part cause the NiMH ones are heavier than a Lipo and the Low Discharge ones are only 1.2 vdc vs 1.5 vdc like the Alkalies, and so i hear the lo batter indicator may come on in about 30 minutes.. vs 4 hrs..my 3S lipos last about 8 to 10 hrs I think .. I charge the ones im my Optic 6 / JR Tx's weekly and never ran low yet.

As to the keycam mount on the mast.. it's super simple.. and i will get some picts of the new paper clip version which replaced the one I made of EPP foam.. it worked Ok but vibrated more in wind, and it has more drag and less stability than what I started with in the 3rd thru 5th picture you will see now back up in post No 123 above..

Have Fun,
JimS

Quote:
Jim, I tested the $32 2.4hz Flysky CT6 TX today. It worked fine, good distance and response, after the fiddling with PC drivers and software at home before I used it. But I enjoyed that. The TX is a little heavier than the 4 chan AM TXs I'm used to but no problem. Maybe I'll get a helicopter, etc. one of these days to utilize all the features.
BTW, do you have a picture of the camera mounted on the top of your mast? At least that's what I assume. Nice videos.
Jack
Mar 15, 2011, 07:54 PM
Jim, although there's no software or instructions supplied with the radio, there is plenty available on the the internet. What is needed is dependent on the PC configuration. Just had to sort thru it.
Regarding the TX weight, I was loosely comparing this TX to a Hitech Ranger II, both with 8 AA batteries. But it's no big deal.
Regarding the voltage indicator on the Tx, I saw this at http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
Info on the Power Meter LED
Voltage levels (tested by someone else) of the LED power indicator
LED steady green : SupplyVoltage > 10.8 Volt
LED steady orange: 9.4 Volt < SupplyVoltage < 10.4 Volt
LED steady red : SupplyVoltage < 9.1 Volt
It is ok to run NiMh batteries into the orange category but once it gets down to the red you should replace IMMEDIATLY!

If that's accurate, 8 fresh AA's x 1.2v would probably leave the green indicator pretty quick. I noticed the green leaving but didn't sail but an hour or so in light wind.
Regards, Jack
Mar 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
Thread OP

W 055 .55mm single strand shroud / backstay wire..

W 055 .55mm single strand , will this wire work Ok for an ODOM?.. not sure what it normally comes with .. anyone know the typical shroud / backstay wire.. called for?
Mar 16, 2011, 08:35 AM
Thread OP

3S Lipo Flat PAc to replace 8ea side by side AA's?

Anyone seen a good replacement Lipo for 8 AA's?
---
Jack,
rgr all ..

Quote:
... I noticed the green leaving but didn't sail but an hour or so in light wind.
Regards, Jack
Mar 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
Take a look at the Thunderpower Prolite V2 line, the 2 cell ones seems to work best. I use them in my EC12 and they last all day with plenty to spare.
Mar 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'm using 8 three year old Walmart Kodak 2400mAh NiMH AA 1.2V batteries starting with a pretty good charge. After the CT6B being on for over 4 hours, almost all of that time with the orange power light on and no red light, I tested it. With the TX about 100 yds from the boat on land, the rudder and sail are still responsive. I think that's probably good enough for me.
Jack
Mar 16, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
yes skipper 67
I likely wasn't clear that the batteries I want to replace with one 3S Lipo, they're the 8 in the transmitter.. i just ordered two for $26 shipped total via..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-3PK-Trans...-/200586594265

they're about half the weight of the individual AA's and I like charging em all at once via Balanced connector where I can see if there's a problem easily and charge all at one time, instead of 8 individual batteries and any one of 16 +/- contacts in series that can fail... there's only two DC output contacts on these Lipos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper67
Take a look at the Thunderpower Prolite V2 line, the 2 cell ones seems to work best. I use them in my EC12 and they last all day with plenty to spare.

Quick Reply