Jan 13, 2011, 11:57 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
my friend will have 8 adapters availible by the end of the weekend....

contact george at....

G_Houpt@hotmail.com
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2011, 05:10 AM
Registered balsa abuser
I'll be picking up my Turbax rotor at the post office after work today, so I hope to have some 4" test numbers posted up this weekend. Only have to trim it down and get it running smoothly, I already have the fan installed in a homemade nacelle and bolted to my Falcon 120.
Jan 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arngeir Blakseth
I'll be picking up my Turbax rotor at the post office after work today, so I hope to have some 4" test numbers posted up this weekend. Only have to trim it down and get it running smoothly, I already have the fan installed in a homemade nacelle and bolted to my Falcon 120.

I`m looking forward to more numbers on the 4" Turbax rotor. I think it`s a winner. Let us know what you find out.
Jan 19, 2011, 01:29 PM
15pds of thrust for 130$ with motor\rotor etc sounds really good...

How is the motor standing up under wot?

Does it need some cooling down after running?

Really good find and thank your for the work on this....
Jan 19, 2011, 10:23 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771
15pds of thrust for 130$ with motor\rotor etc sounds really good...

How is the motor standing up under wot?

Does it need some cooling down after running?

Really good find and thank your for the work on this....

Thanks. I`ve been keeping my in flight full power stretches to about 20 seconds or less so far. The temps on the two days that I`ve flown it were between 45 and 50 F. So that has helped keep things cool. I haven`t really done any extended cool down runs. I think that the gear pass and landing pattern give the motor quite a bit of cool down time. Motor temps have been very low when checked right after the flights.
Jan 20, 2011, 12:31 PM
For the sake of someone who's not kept up with this thread fully: With the 4.5" Haoye fan, are you guys just boring out the inside of the fan housing with a dremel sanding drum to make clearance for the 4030-880 or are you doing something else like an entirely new motor housing? I tried the fit of this motor and fan combo and the motor hits the sides of the housing as it goes further in. I plan to try the motor with the 4" fan and stock rotor eventually.
Jan 20, 2011, 12:35 PM
Classic jets rule
ED they have a standoff that fits in the housing ...motor hangs out back
Jan 20, 2011, 01:45 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
For the 4.5" you can easily open up the motor tube to fit the motor inside. Scroll back through the pics and you'll see.

For the 4" the standoff would be best.
Jan 20, 2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle
...Motor temps have been very low when checked right after the flights.
That's exactly what I'm looking for...I remember my wanna be tuner days and having to have an after-run unit on a Mk3 Supra cause the real damage to the turbos was done AFTER the engine is turned off and heat soak would take over.

Wow, this puts big thrust fans and jets in the price range of use who are restricted to the 300 and under price range for a jet.

I'm already thinking of a scratch built 5.5' blue foam\glassed wing Mid-21 with an AUW of around 8pds and this combo or sticking the 4" haoye fan in my F100 for some go fast speed.

This thread is no doubt worth the readin....

15 RELIABLE pds for 200 including fan, motor and esc
Jan 20, 2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
For the sake of someone who's not kept up with this thread fully: With the 4.5" Haoye fan, are you guys just boring out the inside of the fan housing with a dremel sanding drum to make clearance for the 4030-880 or are you doing something else like an entirely new motor housing? I tried the fit of this motor and fan combo and the motor hits the sides of the housing as it goes further in. I plan to try the motor with the 4" fan and stock rotor eventually.
Yes, that's what it looks like.

Knife took a cutting wheel and rapped sand paper around it.

I've opened a 70mm fan with a dremel but it took longer and I had to be extra careful.

Knife is sayin the motors come down pretty cool at 50degrees outside temp and are just warm after shutting off so I'm not too concerned about heat soak in side the motor housing.
Jan 20, 2011, 05:36 PM
Registered balsa abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep
Ed, I had a friend open up my 4" shroud on a lathe, if you don't have access to that service then the standoff adapter sounds like the easiest way to do it for both the 4" and 4.5" shrouds.
Jan 22, 2011, 06:43 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
Just got back from flying my Falcon 120. Flew 3 more flights with my original motor w/Turbax rotor on 12s. Great power and the motor hasn`t missed a beat. 10 flights total on the motor, 5 at about 4.5kw and 5 on 12s at over 5.5kw. All of the 12s flights have been in cool weather of about 55 F.

There were lots of guys at the field and they were astonished when I explained the power system to them, and the cost.
Jan 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
turbax baby! 35 years and going strong! thanks scozzi!

thats great news!!! i bet it will last forever on the extension. not to mention the ease of install. my budy should have the first run of them done this weekend then its on to finish the turbax adapter, and 4" hoaye adapter. ....im very interested in seeing the 4" fly lee...
Jan 22, 2011, 07:41 PM

should have the first run of them done this weekend

I got word that it got mailed today.

I used a 2" hole saw to open my tube. Spun it in a drill pres- it went right in.

I just made a tub for the front of the fuse and am playing with the fit of the fan.
Last edited by Air Head; Jan 22, 2011 at 07:47 PM.
Jan 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
Lee Liddle
Thread OP
So is that a split exhaust? Is there a reason that it needs to split. I would think on a BD-5 style plane that you could just exhaust it straight out the back and then have some kind of split intake.

I`m only trying to help here. I want to see you have success. Another thing is that you fuselage is very small. You are going to run out of room in there very quickly. Just trying to figure out where you are headed and help if I can. Lee

Quick Reply