Dec 02, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joffa Dan
The Go Pro is an excellent AV cam but fails miserably as a hat cam for our model stuff unless you fly very close, I tried it and the plane became a speck very fast due to the wide angle lens, I had much better success with my Sony Webbie which the GoPro replaced on my plane, that makes excellent hat cam for the distances we fly at.
Dan
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2010, 04:13 PM
Crash land!
Yeah I was thinking the same Dan. Most of the footage you see in the Vid is from the gopro behind me. That's why I was thinking if I bring the gopro closer to the action and wear that on the hat cam, and use the flip behind me I might get a better result. I'll have a play and see how I go
Dec 02, 2010, 06:56 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Look at dawsonh 's blog and check his helmet camera out, nice sight, his sloping videos are the best!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=16301
Dec 02, 2010, 08:55 PM
I watched his stuff for quite a while, he uses standard camcorder with zoom , not GoPro , plus he knows how to use it. Fix focus, not auto focus, proper light settings.......
Yes he is the guy to learn from! Not just camera use but flying gliders in general. almost all his stuff is on vimeo here http://vimeo.com/user339251/videos
Dan
Dec 03, 2010, 04:54 AM
flying is not a dream
i don't know wich quality you want....

take a look at these videos for example:

outside
DEX - video 1 (7 min 15 sec)

in my garage
MiniX . 6025-1 - video1 (5 min 31 sec)

alula with sunglasses spy cam and inboard spy key chain
alula bicam 01 (0 min 38 sec)

mountain bike
VTT avec ma spy cam (10 min 0 sec)

it filmed with "spy sunglasses" wich cost less than 20$....
just add a good micro SD card..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spy-Sunglasses-C...item255dffb4a7

maybe it can be more than enough .....
Dec 03, 2010, 09:36 AM
Quality is a very subjective and personal thing, if the videos you make make you happy then it is good enough for you.
I like to watch my videos full screen so 480 resolution is blurry and blochi and I want HD to keep it sharp, I do not want to watch a tiny speck in the middle of my screen and guess that is an airplane, I want to see the plane, I do not want to see a plane fly from light sky to dark background and disappear in it because the camera is constantly compensating, same with auto focus, luckily most cheap cameras have fixed focus. Same with vibration on aerial videos with huge waves across the screen. These are things I find unacceptable in my videos and work to eliminate them, sometimes I can't , but those are standards I strive for. Like I said this is very personal and subjective topic.
Dan
Dec 03, 2010, 10:10 AM
flying is not a dream
it's not so subjective!
it depense of what you want to see, exactly as you just told it.

my stuff is a very low budget class camera, that's why i show you to give you an idea of the result to be able to know wich kind of product you want....

best regards

Benjamin
Dec 03, 2010, 12:37 PM
Do not get me wrong, I am not knocking your videos, I use the same cheap keychain camera myself on planes that just cannot carry more weight and I get what I get, better then nothing, it is quite a achievement for $10 bucks, 10 years ago this would be $1000. With today's technology I just set a higher personal standard so I have something to strive for, plus I like photography.
Alula and DLG types in general are tough to film with hat cam, the big launch jolt and the the instant disappearance into a speck in the sky just does not help. It is much better to have someone film from a side, but where to get that someone on moments notice and film what you want!
I like you DLG by the way, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebenj View Post
it's not so subjective!
it depense of what you want to see, exactly as you just told it.

my stuff is a very low budget class camera, that's why i show you to give you an idea of the result to be able to know which kind of product you want....

best regards

Benjamin
Dec 03, 2010, 02:12 PM
flying is not a dream
don't woory, i never thought you were knocking my videos...

Dec 03, 2010, 02:15 PM
I think I'm Mode 2
hey where is this crap video everyone is talking about
Dec 03, 2010, 02:41 PM
Bakkie , there is no such thing as crap model airplane video, we just had a short discussion of the type of videos we are getting and what we want to get filming these these pesky toys we fly, enjoy them all!

Dan
Dec 03, 2010, 02:49 PM
I think I'm Mode 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
bakkie , there is no such thing as crap model airplane video, we just had a short discussion of the type of videos we are getting and what we want to get filming these these pesky toys we fly, enjoy them all!:d:d

dan
:d :d
Jan 10, 2011, 05:10 PM
Failure is an option !
Hi guys,
just ordered mine and now getting prepared for the build. will be my first DLG. let's see how addictive it is...

I would like to add a launch peg on tip of the wing. What SIMPLE and LIGHT build method would you recommend ? another basic question, where can you buy a throwing peg ? thanks
Jan 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
Envies his own avatar
Austin,
Just FYI, I was throwing my Alula with no throwing blade or peg, just grasping the wing tip. I'm not a competitive-strength DLG thrower either. In 20 or so launches, the foam at the root trailing edge began to tear at the end of the elevon cut-out. It's now relegated to sloping only (except for relatively gentle DLGs to check trim occasionally).
--Rocky
Jan 11, 2011, 03:51 AM
the answer 42 is
I launch mine always DLG style,because I suck at SAL, no peg or blade and have no problems with the wing tips, the alula is a great flyer but not the best for thermal flying, you cannot really launch it high, max 25 meters I read somewhere and max 20 on my experice, measured with inboard altimeter, and it does not saty to long in the air, but in light wind slopes it is unbeatable

Regards

EZ

Quick Reply