Nov 25, 2010, 12:18 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64
Why shouldn't it fly?

Phantoms flew with plenty of anhedral...

BJ
Phantoms? F-4's? They did have anhedral, but only in the horizontal stabs. Maybe thinking of the A-7's? They had alot of anhedral in the wings.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
CV-63/VR-62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone
A Detroit area afternoon sports talk radio show referenced that episode yesterday.

Chuck, do listen to Karsch and Anderson on 97.1?
Nov 25, 2010, 01:17 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone

I remember that one. What a scream. WKRP classic.
I watched Jay Leno last night where a guy wearing a turkey suit recited this poem.
Best I can remember anyway..

While you're eating your squash, and your yams
instead of eating me
try a honeybaked ham.

So be nice and give me a pass
Cuz I sure don't like stuffing
being shoved up my a..

Happy Thanksgiving shipmates.
Remember our warriors who can't be home, so that we can.
Nov 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
Carbon rod wing spars are great. No messing with struts, no drag from struts and provide better structural support than the struts too.
Which leads me to another question...I'm relatively new to cuttin' and moddin'. Most of my RC experience is with ARF's, and they stayed pretty much as they shipped.

I'd like to attach the wing -without- using the wing struts, or rubber bands for that matter. Cleaner look, no more worries about rubber bands breaking, etc. I'd be curious to see any ideas or hear of suggestions on how to accomplish this.

I guess the 'ol "nylon bolt" method would be one possibility. I could put some plastic sleeves in the wing, to keep it from being crushed / provice a mating surface for the head of the nylon bolt. I'm curious, though, about the receiving bulkhead. How strong would it need to be? Could it be made of scrap foam (ie, remainder of SC tray from the box), or would it need to be wood, etc? Would the interior of the SC airframe support it? How much access would I lose for the electricals?
Nov 25, 2010, 10:55 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Bring that smoker over here.I got something for it

Awww.....

You done killded BAMBI...

BJ
Nov 26, 2010, 11:58 AM
In the 20' glider range
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1
Which leads me to another question...I'm relatively new to cuttin' and moddin'. Most of my RC experience is with ARF's, and they stayed pretty much as they shipped.

I'd like to attach the wing -without- using the wing struts, or rubber bands for that matter. Cleaner look, no more worries about rubber bands breaking, etc. I'd be curious to see any ideas or hear of suggestions on how to accomplish this.

I guess the 'ol "nylon bolt" method would be one possibility. I could put some plastic sleeves in the wing, to keep it from being crushed / provice a mating surface for the head of the nylon bolt. I'm curious, though, about the receiving bulkhead. How strong would it need to be? Could it be made of scrap foam (ie, remainder of SC tray from the box), or would it need to be wood, etc? Would the interior of the SC airframe support it? How much access would I lose for the electricals?
If you were going to do it I would suggest using wood...
You shouldnt loose a great amount of access, if you do it right.
I suggest sticking with the rubber bands though
Hope everybody had a happy Thanksgiving!
Nov 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
I agree. The band give you the right amount of flexibility to avoid wing breaks.
Nov 26, 2010, 07:45 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers
I agree. The band give you the right amount of flexibility to avoid wing breaks.
That's a important point.
He could run a cf rod the length of the stock wing, cut deeper in the middle then the edges. Then glue the wing into place, assuming he can store and transport the plane fully assembled. Then if he ever needs access to to the radio or servos, cut a hatch for access and replace when done.
Maybe move the rx to the underside rear area that's held on with double sided tape and the esc in the cowl. Then only servo access will require surgery.

All this would work fine until you tap the wing on a tree or moose antler during flight. The rubber bands wont be there to take the shock and the foam will break. You're plane will be in pieces and you will need to be treated for depression and may develop a rubber band fetish.

Using wood to make it removable would probably add too much weight to be worth while. Again it would be rigid.

But with the wood the plane would float better if you were to mess up while float flying. As long as you got the plane out of the water before the great whites attacked...but they have been in a better mood lately, I noticed.

Last edited by 2500GENE; Nov 26, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
Nov 26, 2010, 08:15 PM
What goes up must come down..
I can't stop laughs here Gene..
don't worry I guess you'll plenty of chances to laugh at me later since I bought a used one ...
Imagine I never flew and I start with repairs..!
Way to go!
Roger
Last edited by rodair; Nov 26, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Nov 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Bring that smoker over here.I got something for it
hey RTR, why does it look like you canoed your deer?
Nov 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
What's the best glue to repair a crack fuselage in 2 pces right where the fwd screw common to the fin is?
Epoxy?
Elmers?
Foam safe?
Any reinforcement required?
Roger
Nov 26, 2010, 08:36 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
when i had a break just like that i used epoxy but i have heard on people using whight glue and other things. i also reinforced it with bamboo BBQ stucks but i think that toothpicks would work too
Nov 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
Okdoke
Nov 26, 2010, 08:50 PM
Why so serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodair
What's the best glue to repair a crack fuselage in 2 pces right where the fwd screw common to the fin is?
Epoxy?
Elmers?
Foam safe?
Any reinforcement required?
Roger
Planes don't have fins. Sharks have fins.
You have a tail with a horizontal stabilizer and a vertical stabilizer. The big thing up front is a wing.

For the fuse and wing use regular CA (super glue) or white gorilla glue. The tail is made of depron. DO NOT use regular ca on it. Use gorilla or foam safe CA.

Gorilla glue expands like a mutha. Don't use much.

Don't use plain white glue like Elmers. Seriously, would you trust someone named Elmer?

There are many kinds of epoxy. Some work well, some not. I found they seem to give a artificial bond, where the epoxy hardens but doesn't adhere to the foam very well. But then again some do. Since they all smell funny I don't use them. I hate things that smell funny especially when eating pizza.

Q
Nov 26, 2010, 09:20 PM
Gene, or all,
too late I used what I had on hands Epoxy 30 min..and showed 4 tooth pick up her..at the same time.
It s/b Ok.
Now the prop on her seam to have been temper with (re-cut) to ~9" and it totally out balance what do you suggest on stock motor stock batteries etc?
Else than the stock one that is more available to me (GWS ).
I have some GWS one:
EP 9047 x 3 blades?
EP 1247 X 2
APC 9X6 X 2 (hole won't fit the prop shaft)
So I have nothing close to 10 x 8.

Roger
Last edited by rodair; Nov 26, 2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply