Sep 29, 2010, 01:46 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
Well, with the exception of the very rare Guru-Zs made in Balr-land..... Those are pretty hot too, let me tell you.
With the right mods a GuruZ will out-perform a Quark, but there's no way you will ever match it's stability and precision. If I recall correctly, the one you got had a very nice Trex 450 tail. So, the price of a GuruZ can get up there pretty good.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
With the right mods a GuruZ will out-perform a Quark, but there's no way you will ever match it's stability and precision. If I recall correctly, the one you got had a very nice Trex 450 tail. So, the price of a GuruZ can get up there pretty good.
No, by the time it got to me it had a beaten-up Guru-Z boom and standard Guru-Z tail assembly. I kept the Guru-Z tail assembly and replaced the boom with a generic T-Rex-type aluminum boom that I cut shorter.
Sep 29, 2010, 08:26 PM
Can't get enough

SG blade problem

I decided to give the SG blades a go, but I am having several problems. I have noticed no matter how much pitch adjustment I give, the blades don't have the lift that the normal blades do. I also notice when I am doing circuits, the tail doesn't seem to want to hold as well, which caused a good dump lol I think I might go back to the normal blades. I checked tracking and balance, which are fine....any thoughts?
Sep 29, 2010, 09:36 PM
"you'll play to live "
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
I decided to give the SG blades a go, but I am having several problems. I have noticed no matter how much pitch adjustment I give, the blades don't have the lift that the normal blades do. I also notice when I am doing circuits, the tail doesn't seem to want to hold as well, which caused a good dump lol I think I might go back to the normal blades. I checked tracking and balance, which are fine....any thoughts?
May be main motor doesn't have enough power to handle CP blades....
AC
Sep 29, 2010, 09:46 PM
Quote:
It may be a stretch, but you can try this:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7763
Sep 29, 2010, 10:47 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Did you change the throttle curve and throttle volume?
Sep 29, 2010, 11:13 PM
Can't get enough
Quote:
Did you change the throttle curve and throttle volume?

I did not mess with those at all..I guess I could change the throttle curve, but why the volume?
Sep 30, 2010, 12:15 AM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
I did not mess with those at all..I guess I could change the throttle curve, but why the volume?
You may not be getting enough to start with. How far do you need to move the throttle before the blades start to turn? If they start right away, volume is fine. If not, turn it up until they do, but no so much they won't stop.
Sep 30, 2010, 12:39 PM
Can't get enough
Quote:
You may not be getting enough to start with. How far do you need to move the throttle before the blades start to turn? If they start right away, volume is fine. If not, turn it up until they do, but no so much they won't stop.
Thank you I will try that after work. I just never messed with it because it says to leave it alone unless you use a different tx.
Sep 30, 2010, 08:14 PM
So I finally got up the guts to fly the T-Rex 450! 8 packs in and no incidents; this without turning on flight stabilization yet (via Spartan ap2000i). I have to say, flying the Quark was a great final stepping stone to feeling comfortable enough to fly the T-Rex. Still love the Quark, love that I can "fly it like I stole it" (to borrow an expression), but the T-Rex is a rush. I know these things can be set up however you like, but I have to say the larger size of the T-Rex makes it remarkably stable compared to smaller helis I've flown (my first single blade heli was a Walkera 4#3), even including the Quark, which can get pushed around a bit by the wind. Speaking of which, it's nice not to have to worry about whether it's too windy to fly (except for today ... with our 30mph winds here in the NE, it's too windy to take out even the T-Rex).

Stakes are higher with the T-Rex ($ to repair, time to repair, and potential injuries to myself / bystanders / pets), so I'm very focused on going slow. That said, I've already had a situation where I would have crashed the Quark (had to swat a bug that was biting me), but the superior climbout of the TRex saved me.

Finally, it's nice to have 2 birds to fly, to be able to rotate between the 2 to let the electronics cool on each of them between flights.

Just thought I'd share since I had mentioned the T-Rex earlier. Thanks to those of you that gave setup tips!
Sep 30, 2010, 09:40 PM
Cranky old fart
I found a Quark dialed up all the way with mechanical settings maxed is real good training for flying just about anything. 8 packs with no incidents is great!
Oct 02, 2010, 01:41 PM
Well gents Im selling my Quark. I just dont have the time or the calm days (no wind) to fly it. I dont plan on leaving the hobby all together since I still have my MCX. Thanks for all the knowledge and parts. Happy Flyin
Kevin
Oct 02, 2010, 08:45 PM
Nooooooooooooo! Don't Go! It's a jungle out there!!!

(good luck)
Oct 02, 2010, 11:41 PM
Howdy fellas,

You may remember that I had posted a problem with the tail being uncontrollable...well I thought I'd report some progress. So I tried a new xtal thinking that would be the ticket. Even though I was able to wiggle the little guy and get about 15 seconds of hover, it would always degrade and then I'd lose the tail completely. I'm thinking the gyro is hosed but who knows....Being out of ideas I really didn't want to send my quark in....So seeing the post about the 2.4 conversion, I decided to look around and see what I had on hand to take a shot at it.

It has two big pluses for me, I can use my 7CAP, which keeps me at only one air radio, AND I don't have to worry about clipping the antenna....

Short story for now, I got it working this afternoon, cheap and pretty easy. Just some hovering in the garage so far, but tomorrow morning I got some packs charged up and ready to test in the back yard. I'll post on how it does, but things went really well.

Oh yeah, I also tried the bearing on the tail shaft mod to reduce vibration, that works great, is easy and I highly recommend it. I used the 7mm by 3mm bearing for it and it was a perfect fit.

more to come....
Oct 03, 2010, 10:28 PM
First of all, thanks guys for all the help and advice you have invested in this thread.

Well, here we go. I finished up and cleaned up some of the wire, got the canopy to fit etc. All in all just 17 grams heavier than stock. AND I tried the new SG blades, really nice, lots more oomph.

What was done....highlights
soldered new futaba J connectors to the servos
soldered small connectors to the motor wires
used the GY192 gyro
used the GWS ICS 100 esc for the brushed coreless motor
phoenix 10 for the main motor control
added the bearing on the tail shaft
futaba fasst 4 ch receiver, micro
used a balsa plate to velcro the electronics to

Thoughts
it's great to get to use dual rates and expo
no glitching, no loss off control
GY192 is cheap/mediocre but does the job, I may upgrade it and the brushed esc someday
maybe could upgrade to brushless on the tail, bphobbies has a motor that would work with minor modifications
the brushed esc needs to be activated when you start up, full stick left
when you are done flying and land, the tail is still active, if you move it too fast when unplugging the battery it can spin up on you.
recommended, it is pretty easy
cost me about $40 to do, I had the most of the stuff already
Last edited by scottflight; Oct 03, 2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: adding more thoughts

Quick Reply