This thread is privately moderated by roscoedude, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 24, 2010, 02:56 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, pretty much been using CAD since late '97; now it's your turn, let's have some details buddy.

I gotta say, the Myrsky just keeps looking better and better, very nice.
And the vent area does look good; if your going to add more than one ring, you could make them fairly thin height wise, like just a little more than the radius size. But I'm liking it already.

Dean
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Alright, since your almost ready to get into the cut files, check out your local laser cutters websites, they usually have a template file and info you can download. Then you'll have an idea of how big your pieces parts have to be to fit the cut-able sheet size. Now the fun part, figuring out where and how you want to split the pieces that wouldn't fit the sheet, and how to put them back together when building it, like a jigsaw piece, with interlocking tabs.

OK, since you'll be making files for the Myrsky, I decided to use something else when showing the how-to part of making the cut files, so it'll be a few extra days before I get them ready to post. (since this plane was only started on last night)
But this way, you'll have an extra set of cut files for another plane to build, if you like.
It's an IAR-80A, with a 77in. WS, designed to be fully sheeted... pretty darn big for me.

Later,
Dean
Last edited by roscoedude; Sep 25, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Sep 25, 2010, 06:31 PM
Paul Kohlmann
Gee Dean, don't you have a couple of dozen CAD models in your blog ready to go already?

A 77" IAR-80 would be pretty sweet. I'm getting the itch to try my hand at something in the 70" range, too. Not sure what it will be just yet.

Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about prepping the cutfiles. You know how much I enjoy that part.

Raipe--do you have any cutters locally?

Paul
Sep 26, 2010, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorne
Gee Dean, don't you have a couple of dozen CAD models in your blog ready to go already?

Paul
I actually lost most of those models when my last PC crashed, so the IAR-80 model was just something I never finished, and was kinda similar style-wise to the Myrsky. Although I like the looks of the Myrsky much better, I think I'll just post the IAR-80 cut files for whomever wants them... If and when I completely finish them.

Dean
Sep 27, 2010, 01:16 AM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
Hi guys,

Sorry for my absence, have had one busy weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoedude
Yeah, pretty much been using CAD since late '97; now it's your turn, let's have some details buddy.

Dean
There's not much to tell. I'm a CNC-machinist(is that right, sounds kinda funny) now studying to become an engineer. Nowhere near the experience You've got.

Quote:
OK, since you'll be making files for the Myrsky, I decided to use something else when showing the how-to part of making the cut files, so it'll be a few extra days before I get them ready to post. (since this plane was only started on last night)
But this way, you'll have an extra set of cut files for another plane to build, if you like.
It's an IAR-80A, with a 77in. WS, designed to be fully sheeted... pretty darn big for me.

Later,
Dean
Sweet IAR and it is huge (almost 2m WS) . I've always (as long as I've known about it) liked the IAR-80, been flying it in the IL-2 Stormovik game some years back. This will be interesting

Quote:
Alright, since your almost ready to get into the cut files, check out your local laser cutters websites, they usually have a template file and info you can download. Then you'll have an idea of how big your pieces parts have to be to fit the cut-able sheet size. Now the fun part, figuring out where and how you want to split the pieces that wouldn't fit the sheet, and how to put them back together when building it, like a jigsaw piece, with interlocking tabs.
Quote:
Raipe--do you have any cutters locally?

Paul
I was afraid this would be an issue, I was looking for one years back and there seemed to be none in the whole country. Luckily with a quick qooqle search just a minute ago, I did found one cutter that does exactly this kind of stuff. I'll read their instructions and will go from there.

Quote:
I actually lost most of those models when my last PC crashed, so the IAR-80 model was just something I never finished, and was kinda similar style-wise to the Myrsky. Although I like the looks of the Myrsky much better, I think I'll just post the IAR-80 cut files for whomever wants them... If and when I completely finish them.

Dean
I've been thinking of buying an external hard drive and I think you've just convinced me. If I dare to say, I would like to have the cut files for the IAR, would definitely love to build one after I've gained enough confidence. A plane that size kinda scares me

Later
Raipe
Sep 27, 2010, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe
I would like to have the cut files for the IAR, would definitely love to build one after I've gained enough confidence. A plane that size kinda scares me
Yeah, no problem, the funny thing is, I didn't remember the CAD model being that big until I started slicing it up, but it was too late, I was already in the groove....

And I'm with you on those big birds, they kinda scare me a little too. So I figured I'll probably never build it, so I'm happy to pass out the cut files when their done, it would be kinda cool to see someone else build & fly it.

Dean
Sep 28, 2010, 12:59 AM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
Great. Just have to warn you, I might not be able to handle it for some time though.

I somehow managed to make my own material for the inventor. Gotta see what happens after I update all of the parts. The default materials density is 10 times that of balsa, should have a big effect on the cg. I've been making small changes here and there and am starting to feel happy with the way she is now. I'll add some pics later just to show what I've done.

About the cut files, What more do I need to know but the table size of the cutter and the file format they prefer?

Raipe
Sep 28, 2010, 02:14 AM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
Quote:
OK, I did a little measuring and it seems that everything else fits on a standard 1000*100mm balsa sheet except the big horizontal "floor" piece(or whats it) and the horizontal stab. If I separate the tail pieces the vertical stab, elevator and rudder will fit nicely. Have you got a suggestion for the floor piece, I think I'll just snap the stab in to two parts, sawtooth maybe.

Later
raipe
Sep 28, 2010, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raipe
OK, I did a little measuring and it seems that everything else fits on a standard 1000*100mm balsa sheet except the big horizontal "floor" piece(or whats it) and the horizontal stab. If I separate the tail pieces the vertical stab, elevator and rudder will fit nicely. Have you got a suggestion for the floor piece, I think I'll just snap the stab in to two parts, sawtooth maybe.

Later
raipe
I would try and keep the stab one piece if possible, and if you have the template file from the laser cutters webside, could you attach it here, then I'll post a couple ways using it to do the main floor crutch. (or whatever it's called)

Dean
Sep 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
There is no template file available. They only give the max dimensions for the cutter which is 914mm*604mm and the file formats they prefer which would be cdr or pdf. Thats all i got from their website.

raipe
Sep 29, 2010, 02:06 AM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
What is the common file type for the cut files, or is there such a thing. I had imagined it would be dwg or something similar.
I send e-mail to the company about the file type etc. Just have to wait and see what they tell me.

raipe
Sep 29, 2010, 05:58 AM
Slava Ukraini 🇺🇦
Got an answer from the cutter and autocad files are OK too. I'll try and upload some pics tomorrow of the li'l changes I mentioned, nothing really drastic.

Later
raipe

BTW, thank you for shearing the IAR files
Last edited by raipe; Sep 29, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
Sep 29, 2010, 03:54 PM
Paul Kohlmann
That's interesting that .pdf would work. I've worked with three cutters and they've all preferred .dwg or .dxf.

A problem that might be resolved by going to .pdf would be the tendency of CAD generated drawings to cut by the order that the lines were created. This can really kill machine efficiency. It can be resolved with the appropriate software, but most guys I've talked with are on a pretty tight budget and don't have it.

Paul
Sep 29, 2010, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Yeah most of the laser cutters will do DXF files, seems to be fairly standard.

I've been a little busy lately, but I'll get some pics posted here real soon. I got to get back to slicing up the IAR-80 tonight or tomorrow, then I'll set up some cut files and use those for show & tell.

Later,
Dean
Sep 29, 2010, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
That's interesting that .pdf would work.

Paul
I was thinking the same thing, never heard of anyone doing it that way.
Hmm, maybe that would be the easiest way so far, gonna have to look into that...

Dean

Quick Reply