Aug 26, 2010, 12:19 AM
On the AC/DC thing... (in reference to powering the included UMX Beast charger.)
If one does not have a 12-14 VDC source, a cost effective one is offered on the Accessory page.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ickAccessories
AC to 12VDC, 1.5 Amp Power Supply by E-flite $19.99
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLC4000
You guys have fun!
David
Last edited by dribbe; Aug 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2010, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure which one your talking about, but I do have a thunder power AC6, somewhat similar to the one listed on the accessories page.

Thanks David,

Ben
Aug 26, 2010, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benboy207
I'm not sure which one your talking about, but I do have a thunder power AC6, somewhat similar to the one listed on the accessories page.

Thanks David,

Ben
We may well offer 'charge chords' for other chargers.... stay tuned.

David
Aug 26, 2010, 12:40 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
Thread OP
Dribbe, you didn't post to end speculation on something here, but you did in another thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
the AR6400LBL has two servos, 2S power (and a lot more watts, and wiring to handle the watts), brushless controller (Up to about 3.5A), and a linear BEC for 7.8g .

Have Fun,
David
Finally we have that answer.. or we had it before and I managed to somehow miss it lol..
3.5amps at 7.2v gives us a max of 25 watts.. That's very nice info to know

~Kev
Aug 26, 2010, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dribbe
We may well offer 'charge chords' for other chargers.... stay tuned.

David
Sounds cool

Ben
Aug 26, 2010, 05:48 AM
Way to many airplanes!
About missing the release date:

Gaming console: Playstation missed the release date my a mile. They came out with reliable product though. Xbox? Not so reliable.

Misc games for consoles: Did you noticed that the one that meet the release date usually have more patches after?

What do you prefer? Someone who ship a product that has been built too quickly and full of bugs, or someone who delay a product, but final one is near perfect?

We know it's getting closer. Horizon Air Meet had lots of full box to show for it. I pre-ordered mine, and sure enough, I don't want them to rush it. I have tons of planes and heli to play with until my Beast show up to my LHS. Sure enough, I would like to get it before January (in Canada here! VERY cold), but hey, if that's the case, then, be it.
Aug 26, 2010, 06:52 AM
heli addict
It would be nice to include a power source and an extra battery...hint...hint

That would help justify the price in some buyers minds.
Aug 26, 2010, 07:22 AM
For someone who has never flown 3d but wants to learn would this plane or the micro 4-site be good places to start, or are ultra micros not really good for that. I basically want to have somehting I can hover and do things like that with. Thanks for any help
Aug 26, 2010, 07:27 AM
Once crash at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer
It would be nice to include a power source and an extra battery...hint...hint

That would help justify the price in some buyers minds.
I think that might be too late. Production is pretty much already in full swing
Aug 26, 2010, 07:50 AM
heli addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz
I think that might be too late. Production is pretty much already in full swing
That's true, but it would be very easy to include these items in the box. Just open the box and put them in.
Aug 26, 2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs06h
For someone who has never flown 3d but wants to learn would this plane or the micro 4-site be good places to start, or are ultra micros not really good for that. I basically want to have somehting I can hover and do things like that with. Thanks for any help
For learning 3D flying you should start with an EPP plane. This is a softer rubbery foam that can take a lot of punishment. Micro's are way too fragile for learning 3D. They are also too small and things happen way to quick for learning.

My suggestion is to use a design that has taught more people to 3D than any other. The Leadfeather Yak EPP. This was an open design that you can find plans for and cut out the foam and build this plane really cheap. Or you can find people manufacturing kits for those of us that don't have the time or skill to build.

I went with this source for the kit and parts.

My Leadfeather Yak build using Midwest Foam Planes kit

I suggest you take your question to the Foam 3D forum and ask for more info there.

I learned to fly 3D without a sim using this plane in my small back yard. The only thing that broke was my GWS props as they would chip after much abuse. The plane would get torn but a little bit of glue and is completely good as new. Also this plane flies GREAT!

Tom
Aug 26, 2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Check out The Bug! It's probably the best, most indestructable and easiest to learn on. Follow up with a 4site. The Beast is probably flyable for 3D but also probably requires well honed skills to manage.

http://www.lightflite.com/

Just an opinion, I haven't seen a Beast yet and my stick time on my 4site is very limited. On the other hand a club mate has a bug and would have flown the wings off it if it had any wings. He went from non-3D to pretty good in a very short time with almost no stopping for repairs.

Pete
Aug 26, 2010, 09:21 AM
I am in for sure. subscribed
Aug 26, 2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
The UM 4-Site is not an easy plane to hover. It is best at harrier/rolling harrier/ Knife edge/ Rolling circle type stuff. It is fairly durable for what it is, but not durable enough to be what I'd call a good 3D trainer. For a good 3D trainer, look for something with plenty of power. EPP is a good idea, as the OP stated. EPP isn't very rigid, though, and for consistent handling, rigidity is muy importante. Rigidity is less important for just hovering. Most biplanes are harder to learn 3D maneuvers on, as well. That could be different in the case of the UMX Beast, however. I have one of E-Flite's Quique-designed Divos. It is a beautiful thing to fly.
MR2
Aug 26, 2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller
Really? Really? Name the plane and provide a link, please.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...light=acrobipe

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=604

But then again it was not RTF. you did have to get out a knife and put some time ito it. I can convert one in about 2 hours.

ACROBIPE and then later it showed up as a harbor freight biplane I stocked up for like 7 bucks an airframe.

I have 5 on the shelf. I have converted many a airframe with performance almost identicle to that of the beast. We were converting these in 2004. when we got brushless inrunners, they where even better and more fun. flew like they were on rails.
when I put a beast brick in one it will fly just the same as the beast.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited about the beast. it looks great. but for the $ they are asking I doubt it will amaize me as I have already had a 15" WS biplane thel looks like a Pitts for years. we even used magnetic hatches. revolutionary at the time in 2005.

What I am excited about is the brick. a 6 ch brick with brushless that is great. but worth the $. not sure about that.

I would value the brick at about $80 bucks. that puts the airframe at a steep price.

Quick Reply